Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2024, 01:14 AM   #3461
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Ric Bowness looks so tired on SN. That guy needs a long vacation.

He is 69.

Respect the man
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2024, 04:13 AM   #3462
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you guys think of Norris? He's definitely a gamble, and he hasn't lived up to the $8M price tag... especially if you consider that he can't stay healthy with all the shoulder injuries.

However he seems like a pretty good buy low candidate. He's 25, and he already scored 35G, and had 55P in 66GP, during his breakout season. The guy definitely has the potential, and all the tools to become a #1C. If he could stay healthy I could see a trade paying dividends in a similar way to the Eichel trade.

So how do you assets the risk/reward on Norris? And what would be the maximum you're willing to trade for the guy?
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 05:04 AM   #3463
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Eichel went to a team competing for a Cup. Do you really think now is a good time to acquire Josh Norris?

If we were a playoff team in need of a centre, maybe. A talented guy but too old at 25 for our current predicament.
Old 05-25-2024, 05:34 AM   #3464
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
Eichel went to a team competing for a Cup. Do you really think now is a good time to acquire Josh Norris?

If we were a playoff team in need of a centre, maybe. A talented guy but too old at 25 for our current predicament.
I think that any time is a good time to acquire good assets. If Norris works out you could probably get considerably more than you would pay now to acquire him.

Moreover, Norris is under contract for the next 6 years, which covers all his prime years. LAK traded for Fiala when he was 25. VAN acquired JT Miller when he was 26. Both acquisitions were made in a similar position to where we are now. Both players became impact players, and assets for their respective teams.

Are we trading Sharangovich because he just turned 25?
Old 05-25-2024, 05:52 AM   #3465
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I think that any time is a good time to acquire good assets. If Norris works out you could probably get considerably more than you would pay now to acquire him.

Moreover, Norris is under contract for the next 6 years, which covers all his prime years. LAK traded for Fiala when he was 25. VAN acquired JT Miller when he was 26. Both acquisitions were made in a similar position to where we are now. Both players became impact players, and assets for their respective teams.

Are we trading Sharangovich because he just turned 25?
I see what you're saying, and agree to an extent. My opinion is we are still on the way down, so it's too early in the cycle to be trading for guys who we genuinely think we can win with.
Old 05-25-2024, 06:03 AM   #3466
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I see what you're saying, and agree to an extent. My opinion is we are still on the way down, so it's too early in the cycle to be trading for guys who we genuinely think we can win with.
Yeah I agree, and I don't see it as a win now move. Maybe it can be somewhat similar to a D. Hamilton move. I just see OTT as a team that needs to make changes, doesn't have a whole lot of cap space, and might be interested in a deal around some of our older players like Markstrom, and Coleman, so they can compete next year.

Moreover, the emergence of Pinto, and Greig behind Stutzle makes Norris seem more expandable than ever. That said, the 30 points on the season are a huge red flag at his cap hit, especially with the 6 year term commitment. That's why I wouldn't want to spend too many assets in such a trade.
Old 05-25-2024, 06:44 AM   #3467
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What do you guys think of Norris? He's definitely a gamble, and he hasn't lived up to the $8M price tag... especially if you consider that he can't stay healthy with all the shoulder injuries.

However he seems like a pretty good buy low candidate. He's 25, and he already scored 35G, and had 55P in 66GP, during his breakout season. The guy definitely has the potential, and all the tools to become a #1C. If he could stay healthy I could see a trade paying dividends in a similar way to the Eichel trade.

So how do you assets the risk/reward on Norris? And what would be the maximum you're willing to trade for the guy?
Too risky. Unless we were able to trade Huberdeau from Norris I’m staying away from that player as far as possible. Let’s see if Ottawa would do this:

7th OA
Norris
Korpisalo

For

28th OA
Huberdeau
Markstrom

That team is instantaneously better at the expense of 21 spots. Calgary takes the gamble on Norris, who if injured, goes on LTIR. Ottawa gets Huberdeau who likely scores more in Ottawa with Stutzle, Pinto, Giroux, Batherson, etc. And I don’t think I need to explain the goalie upgrade.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 07:45 AM   #3468
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If the Sens sent the 7th overall with Norris I would send a 3rd back. He is well on the way to being a Colin White with all those injuries.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 07:50 AM   #3469
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Too risky. Unless we were able to trade Huberdeau from Norris I’m staying away from that player as far as possible. Let’s see if Ottawa would do this:

7th OA
Norris
Korpisalo

For

28th OA
Huberdeau
Markstrom

That team is instantaneously better at the expense of 21 spots. Calgary takes the gamble on Norris, who if injured, goes on LTIR. Ottawa gets Huberdeau who likely scores more in Ottawa with Stutzle, Pinto, Giroux, Batherson, etc. And I don’t think I need to explain the goalie upgrade.
That trade would probably work. Norris is a straight cap dump at this point in time, even if he is healthy he is probably a 50-60 point guy so he is overpaid by about 1.5 million a year. If he is not healthy he gets you half a point a game and then is injured for the rest of the year.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 08:02 AM   #3470
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We should only acquire tweens.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 08:48 AM   #3471
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
We should only acquire tweens.
We should only acquire embryos. Buy early! Buy cheap!
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2024, 08:49 AM   #3472
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Plausible, but being a bit of a player with amazing individual skills but not so good on the team play doesn't necessarily mean a locker room problem. He could just be the guy who Anaheim thinks they can trade for a player who pushes the needle in the playoffs and they don't want to wait for him to round out his game. It could be that management just doesn't think he'll turn into a well rounded playoff leader or don't have the patience to wait for him to get there.
I'd guess it's more something along these lines. His skill is undeniable though. You can't teach that. Can you teach him other aspects of the game? That's a decision for your scouts and GM. But Coronato and a late 1st to me wouldn't be a bad gamble at all. Honestly think Anaheim is the one saying no there.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 09:54 AM   #3473
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
We should only acquire embryos. Buy early! Buy cheap!
Does Alexander Semin have a draft eligible son?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2024, 10:01 AM   #3474
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Necas will be 26, Conroy said 18-23. It's not even borderline in the age group he is 3 years out.

I can't see the team wasting any draft picks on a 26 year old winger, who may be a C.
He did?

I would be surprised by that. I remember him saying/hinting that he was looking for established NHL guys who need an opportunity to "pop" or whatever term he used.

Necas would most assuredly fall into that grouping.
Old 05-25-2024, 10:42 AM   #3475
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, 18-23 doesn't make a lot of sense. Sharangovich is 25. Miromanov is 26. Pachal is 24. Kuzmenko 28. It looks like he's looking for guys who have shown something but have struggled with consistency or injury in previous stops.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 11:00 AM   #3476
Solstice
Draft Pick

I think Conroy and the organization will grab a 25 year old if the price is right and he fits the current and future plans. I don’t see someone being 2 years older than 23 not being considered just because of age. If Necas isn’t being considered I don’t think it’s because he’s 2 years above the 23 year upper “limit”. It’s just a preference someone is 18-23, not a requirement.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 11:54 AM   #3477
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
I'd guess it's more something along these lines. His skill is undeniable though. You can't teach that. Can you teach him other aspects of the game? That's a decision for your scouts and GM. But Coronato and a late 1st to me wouldn't be a bad gamble at all. Honestly think Anaheim is the one saying no there.
I would say that’s a Trevor Zegras decision. If he doesn’t care to learn other aspects of the game it doesn’t matter what coach, scout, or GM has to say.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 12:05 PM   #3478
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
I would say that’s a Trevor Zegras decision. If he doesn’t care to learn other aspects of the game it doesn’t matter what coach, scout, or GM has to say.
Sure. But with every acquisition your GM and scouts do their best due dilliegence to determine things like that. You collect as much data as you can and try to make the best educated decision.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 12:15 PM   #3479
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt Zegras wants to be in Calgary.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 12:33 PM   #3480
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
That trade would probably work. Norris is a straight cap dump at this point in time, even if he is healthy he is probably a 50-60 point guy so he is overpaid by about 1.5 million a year. If he is not healthy he gets you half a point a game and then is injured for the rest of the year.
I don't think he is a cap dump just yet.

His skating is a strength, and he generates a lot of speed in transition. He also showed that he has the skill and hockey IQ to make good quick passes both on his forehand and backhand. The guy just has a ton of skill IMO, and looked like a star in the making 2 years ago.

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good