Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2024, 07:37 PM   #3541
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
I think as long as we draft someone in the consensus 10 or 11 picks, then we're coming away with a really good player.

My list right now is something like this:

Celebrini
Demidov
Levshunov
Catton
Iginla
Lindstrom
Perekh
Dickinson
Yakemchuk
___
Buium
Silayev

Obviously a bit of an Iggy bias (really hope we draft him). Also hoping we don't draft Silayev if he's available to us - I just think there are players with higher upside - and Buium because of the NCAA/American factor.

Agree on your first point, but want to throw it out.

If the flames were to go outside the consensus top ten or twelve who could it be?

Hage? Good sized center skates well, wicked toe drag shot?
Helenius? Kid currently playing against men?
Sennecke? Big mobile nasty winger?
Nygaard? Relentless work horse?

My dark horse pick is connely. Without the bad rap off ice he is probably talked about as a near top ten, top of top ten pick. Everywhere he goes he scores and sometimes i think some edge on the team would be a good thing.

Ya stupid move to cost gold but if the schmotzee stuff is bad choice by a kid i just see another tkachuk. Hate him until he plays for you because hes so good.
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 07:55 PM   #3542
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

What did he do?
Old 05-24-2024, 07:56 PM   #3543
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
Agree on your first point, but want to throw it out.

If the flames were to go outside the consensus top ten or twelve who could it be?

Hage? Good sized center skates well, wicked toe drag shot?
Helenius? Kid currently playing against men?
Sennecke? Big mobile nasty winger?
Nygaard? Relentless work horse?

My dark horse pick is connely. Without the bad rap off ice he is probably talked about as a near top ten, top of top ten pick. Everywhere he goes he scores and sometimes i think some edge on the team would be a good thing.

Ya stupid move to cost gold but if the schmotzee stuff is bad choice by a kid i just see another tkachuk. Hate him until he plays for you because hes so good.
Well that's exactly what I mean. I would personally be very disappointed if we passed on the guys I named and drafted one of the ones you named. Especially Connelly.

Consensus rankings are not directly correlated to actual future success, but the chances of any specific off-the-board pick becoming better than a consensus guy is fairly low. If you go off-the-board, you're going boom-or-bust, and I don't want to take a bigger chance than necessary with a 1st round top-10 pick.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 08:03 PM   #3544
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
Well that's exactly what I mean. I would personally be very disappointed if we passed on the guys I named and drafted one of the ones you named. Especially Connelly.

Consensus rankings are not directly correlated to actual future success, but the chances of any specific off-the-board pick becoming better than a consensus guy is fairly low. If you go off-the-board, you're going boom-or-bust, and I don't want to take a bigger chance than necessary with a 1st round top-10 pick.
Don’t disagree. Simply posing the question. Stranger things have been known to happen as flames fans.
Old 05-24-2024, 08:10 PM   #3545
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
It’s crazy because Lindstrom isn’t even in your top 9 and there’s still Helenius, Yakemchuk, and Eiserman.
I just really don’t like Lindstrom’s injuries. If we pick him I trust our scouts, but I also think he’s picked before we get to select someone.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 08:14 PM   #3546
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

As for Connelly I would be fine drafting him at 28 if he’s available. That’s how DeAngelo dropped, just cross your fingers Connelly isn’t like Deangelo’s character later on.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 10:45 PM   #3547
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was pretty high on Trevor Connelly back in February/March.

Kind of cooled on him lately. There's other really fascinating players that can easily be picked at 28th even if Connelly falls. In fact I think that's where the Flames should actually snag a D man.

Big fan of the selection available for the Flames at 28, 41 and 64.

I'm really hoping they can snag two of Alfons Freij, Harrison Brunicke, EJ Emery, Charlie Elick , Wallenius or Shuravin

It's a deep defensive draft this year.
Old 05-24-2024, 10:47 PM   #3548
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

As for Yakemchuk. I recall recently there was a posted rumor that Conroy and company are actively trying to trade into the top 15 for another pick because they're tracking a D man they want and they don't think he'll be at their next pick. I suspect Yak may be that guy.

Imagine walking out of day one of the draft with a a Center (Lindstrom, Helenius, Catton) and Yak.

That'd be just dandy.

Last edited by dammage79; 05-24-2024 at 10:49 PM.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 10:59 PM   #3549
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
As for Yakemchuk. I recall recently there was a posted rumor that Conroy and company are actively trying to trade into the top 15 for another pick because they're tracking a D man they want and they don't think he'll be at their next pick. I suspect Yak may be that guy.

Imagine walking out of day one of the draft with a a Center (Lindstrom, Helenius, Catton) and Yak.

That'd be just dandy.
I think he is really high in their list. Catton, yak, letourneau/bedouin/elick?

Would be pretty sweet.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:02 PM   #3550
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I was pretty high on Trevor Connelly back in February/March.

Kind of cooled on him lately. There's other really fascinating players that can easily be picked at 28th even if Connelly falls. In fact I think that's where the Flames should actually snag a D man.

Big fan of the selection available for the Flames at 28, 41 and 64.

I'm really hoping they can snag two of Alfons Freij, Harrison Brunicke, EJ Emery, Charlie Elick , Wallenius or Shuravin

It's a deep defensive draft this year.

Freij, really interesting. Shurivan interesting. Wallenius not sure he will be there for our second.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:03 PM   #3551
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
As for Connelly I would be fine drafting him at 28 if he’s available. That’s how DeAngelo dropped, just cross your fingers Connelly isn’t like Deangelo’s character later on.
Would be really surprised if he made it that far.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:04 PM   #3552
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the draft contest thread, I put Yakemchuk as my pick for the Flames because I’ve heard the same thing- that the team really likes him. I put Letourneau as the Flames second pick in the first, as I think center is our biggest need, and I’ve seen him associated with us in a lot of mocks this year.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 11:08 PM   #3553
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Catton/Iginla + Yak would be amazing
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 11:10 PM   #3554
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
In the draft contest thread, I put Yakemchuk as my pick for the Flames because I’ve heard the same thing- that the team really likes him. I put Letourneau as the Flames second pick in the first, as I think center is our biggest need, and I’ve seen him associated with us in a lot of mocks this year.
What do you think between letourneau and bedouin? Totally agree about center. Past the end of next year we have exactly one nhl center signed and he is mid thirties.

Bedouin reminds me of lucic but a center with a nasty passing game. Letourneau sky could be the limit?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 11:10 PM   #3555
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing about Connelly is that he looks more like an NHLer than the vast majority of junior aged players, even when he’s not among the top scorers in a tournament. He oozes NHL talent, and there’s a certain maturity to his game- though he might be an ass off the ice.

In the U-18’s he cost USA the gold by taking a dumb 5-min penalty late in the game that got him kicked out of the game. Canada came back and won the game on the ensuing PP. I didn’t see him come back out to receive his medal, either.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 11:14 PM   #3556
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
What do you think between letourneau and bedouin? Totally agree about center. Past the end of next year we have exactly one nhl center signed and he is mid thirties.

Bedouin reminds me of lucic but a center with a nasty passing game. Letourneau sky could be the limit?
I’m not a big Letourneau fan, as I get Joe Colborne vibes- but I guess there must be a reason he’s so well liked by the scouting community.

Boudoin, on the other hand, I love- he’s big, skates well, hits everything that moves, and plays an underrated two-way game. He’s a sure-fire NHLer, and I think he’ll make an excellent middle-6 C.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 11:19 PM   #3557
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I’m not a big Letourneau fan, as I get Joe Colborne vibes- but I guess there must be a reason he’s so well liked by the scouting community.

Boudoin, on the other hand, I love- he’s big, skates well, hits everything that moves, and plays an underrated two-way game. He’s a sure-fire NHLer, and I think he’ll make an excellent middle-6 C.
Have roughly the same take. Letourneau could be a magic box.
Agree on Bedouin. I see a really good middle six, get him to shoot more and inprove his skating mechanics, possibly top six center. Could be a nightmare to play against.

Last edited by Fan69; 05-24-2024 at 11:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 11:24 PM   #3558
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't even mention Cole Hutson either. That's how nice and juicy this draft is for defensemen.

Honestly, if the Flames weren't picking 9th I'd be spending a lot of time posting about all of the ways the Flames should be drafting Yakemchuk or Jiricek. But 9th is too high for them.

As for centers at 28th, the Swedish pair and Boisvert. If by some miracle Hage is there you Sprint to make the pick.

Not big on Letourneau. I cannot come to a resolve on how I feel about 127 points on a high school team as a 220 pound 6'7" giant. The RHS is nice. The position is nice. It's a gamble IMO in the top 75 picks.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:57 PM   #3559
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If conroy is looking to get into the top fifteen i only see a few choices.

Jersey at ten can a deal be made?
Buffalo at 11, they could use a rd?
Minny, philly i doubt they do anything i think the pick is to valuable. Could be wrong.

Columbus, anaheim, chicago,Montreal, sj, dont see any need for them to change anything.
Utah has plenty of picks including three seconds and could he motivated to improve. Possible.

Ottawa has their picks as well as another first and could be motivate to improve. Possible.
Seattle not sure where they stand but have two seconds could also be motivated to improve?
Possible.

Detroit i think they stand still this year, but slight possibility.

Seems like jersey, buffalo the most likely to me. Followed by utah but not sure they move a first, ottawa maybe? What do we have they want?

Maybe a wild card thrown in? Seattle? Two seconds and 8.

Last edited by Fan69; 05-25-2024 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-25-2024, 03:43 PM   #3560
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Watching the memorial cup, I still don’t see the draw for Dickinson.
Of all the D available I’d much rather almost all of them outside of giant.
His game is very pedestrian, more of a reliable 2 way game almost like a Hanifin light at this point.

I’d still rank them:

Levshunov
Parekh
Buium
Yakemchuk
Dickinson
Silayev
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft