Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2024, 07:03 PM   #15461
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
That lane in the middle is a bike lane...

I do always slow down when rolling through it, as a fan of the bridge since the day of its announcement I love to enjoy a roll through it.
And sidewalks aren't for bikes. Doesn't mean when I see a bike on a sidewalk I act like a dick and do some dangerous maneuver like stick my foot out.

I am just saying slow down as so many cyclists go way too fast even if pedestrians are acting like dicks being totally oblivious to a bike lane.

Everyone knows people use that bridge for their selfie, and not it's intended purpose. Most people walk to other end then walk back meaning it's mostly used for show. There is also another ugly bridge few hundred meters away you can speed on your bike on.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 08:37 PM   #15462
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Ok now do cars speeding in neighborhoods

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 09:10 PM   #15463
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe we can put our heads together and find a way to convince Mustachio to take his selfies on a Deerfoot overpass instead. I’m not even a cyclist but I’m civilized enough to keep out of a bike lane.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:19 PM   #15464
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I was riding my bike around the reservoir yesterday - on the shared path - and two older ladies were walking towards me. One fully on each side of the solid yellow line and, in effect, taking up 3/4s of the path. I rang my bell multiple times to make sure they had seen me (they had). They didn't alter their path. I started yelling "Share the lane". No change. This was the path they were taking and no one was moving them; even if it put them in harm's way.
Lately I hate it when I'm not sure if the pedestrian heard my bell or not. I usually ding from pretty far back to give lots of notice and not startle people, and so I can ding again if they don't give any indication that they heard - though the double ding feels a little aggressive when they are simply walking straight down the middle of the lane (because they really don't need to do anything aside from not move to the left).

Today I dinged and the ped moved to the right...but then they came back towards the middle just as I approached. I slowed down a bit and it was too late to ding again, but I rode past thinking they probably thought I was an ####### who didn't ding, when really I'm just an ####### who does use my bell.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 10:38 PM   #15465
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you were on team fancy bridge which I think some of the people currently complaining were this is what you get. If they had built a plain normal bridge this wouldn’t be a problem.

The bridge was designed to be computer infrastructure and a tourist attraction. This is the result.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 11:08 PM   #15466
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

[QUOTE=D as in David;9097203]I was riding my bike around the reservoir yesterday - on the shared path - and two older ladies were walking towards me. One fully on each side of the solid yellow line and, in effect, taking up 3/4s of the path. I rang my bell multiple times to make sure they had seen me (they had). They didn't alter their path. I started yelling "Share the lane". No change. This was the path they were taking and no one was moving them; even if it put them in harm's way.[/QUOTE

The reservoir is a chill walking path for tons of elderly people that live in the area. Elderly people are obviously slow to react to anything really. If you want to cycle, there are tons of other options in the area where you can go as fast as you want and not have to deal with pedestrians.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 06:03 AM   #15467
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the clear solution here is more aggressive horns.

*ding ding* Oooh la la! Look at me on my velocipede!

What you need is like an industrial semi-truck horn.

*HOOOONK* GTFO of the way!

Also the whining of cyclists of people being in their way is hilarious considering how often cyclists are an inconvenience to motorists on the road and pedestrians on sidewalks. They just seem to think they can go wherever they want.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 06:24 AM   #15468
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

[QUOTE=8 Ball;9097533]
Quote:
I was riding my bike around the reservoir yesterday - on the shared path - and two older ladies were walking towards me. One fully on each side of the solid yellow line and, in effect, taking up 3/4s of the path. I rang my bell multiple times to make sure they had seen me (they had). They didn't alter their path. I started yelling "Share the lane". No change. This was the path they were taking and no one was moving them; even if it put them in harm's way.[/QUOTE

The reservoir is a chill walking path for tons of elderly people that live in the area. Elderly people are obviously slow to react to anything really. If you want to cycle, there are tons of other options in the area where you can go as fast as you want and not have to deal with pedestrians.
Why do these pedestrians get to ignore the rules and not share the path correctly? Just because theyre old?
There are parts of the path system there that have two seperate paths. One is just for walkers, the other path is for cyclists. What do i see when i ride there? Walkers, meandering down the 'cycle only' path.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2024, 06:41 AM   #15469
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Ok now do cars speeding in neighborhoods
That is my GG from yesterday. Driving home in my neighborhood and jackass is on my bumper for two blocks and then passes on the left on a residential street where the 40 km limit actually is about right. Idiot. Then pulls into his garage 100 m up the next street. Saved 4 seconds on his commute home.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 06:44 AM   #15470
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
That is my GG from yesterday. Driving home in my neighborhood and jackass is on my bumper for two blocks and then passes on the left on a residential street where the 40 km limit actually is about right. Idiot. Then pulls into his garage 100 m up the next street. Saved 4 seconds on his commute home.
And...now you know where he lives...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2024, 07:03 AM   #15471
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And...now you know where he lives...
So true. Just pure idiocy.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2024, 07:15 AM   #15472
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Quote:
I was riding my bike around the reservoir yesterday - on the shared path - and two older ladies were walking towards me. One fully on each side of the solid yellow line and, in effect, taking up 3/4s of the path. I rang my bell multiple times to make sure they had seen me (they had). They didn't alter their path. I started yelling "Share the lane". No change. This was the path they were taking and no one was moving them; even if it put them in harm's way.
I'm curious as to where these other options are that don't have vehicles?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 07:54 AM   #15473
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I rollerblade past there daily this time of year, I'll run in there like Ultimate Warrior, got CPers' backs....unless he's clearly losing the battle regardless, then I'll start helping them. Gotta make a business decision.
I would think if there was one thing that could united cyclists, pedestrians, and motorists it would be a hate for rollerbladers.

Boo this man?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 08:07 AM   #15474
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I would think if there was one thing that could united cyclists, pedestrians, and motorists it would be a hate for rollerbladers.

Boo this man?
We need to know...if he has a fanny-pack or not. It will sway the decision.

Bonus if he has those Neon one-piece sunglasses. I mean if he has those...

Old 05-25-2024, 08:12 AM   #15475
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
We need to know...if he has a fanny-pack or not. It will sway the decision.

Bonus if he has those Neon one-piece sunglasses. I mean if he has those...
We’re saying that he gets a pass if he’s dressed as Brett Hart, right?

But if he’s not… public stoning?

Just want to make sure we’re on the same page.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 08:14 AM   #15476
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
We’re saying that he gets a pass if he’s dressed as Brett Hart, right?

But if he’s not… public stoning?

Just want to make sure we’re on the same page.
Yeah. I think thats fair. If he's Brett Hart its all good, otherwise? A decent hip-check on the Peace Bridge over the rail will suffice.

Old 05-25-2024, 08:18 AM   #15477
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

And am I the only one imagining an 'Anchorman-Esque' rumble on the Peace Bridge between the Cyclists, the Pedestrians (Recent Graduates) and the Rollerbladers?

"Where did you get a Trident?"

Just me? Fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2024, 08:31 AM   #15478
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
And am I the only one imagining an 'Anchorman-Esque' rumble on the Peace Bridge between the Cyclists, the Pedestrians (Recent Graduates) and the Rollerbladers?

"Where did you get a Trident?"

Just me? Fine.
Maybe if you drunks reigned it in a bit, you wouldn't have so many DUI's and could drive.

At least have the dignity to clean yourself up and take the bus in the meantime.

Who knows, with some time off the sauce, you might also be able to hold down a job, then you could be successful and buy a car like the rest of us successful people, and wouldn't have to ride a child's toy or walk everywhere.

Then we could get rid of all the stupid paths and get some extra lanes in there for people going to and from contributing to society...
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2024, 08:52 AM   #15479
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
Maybe if you drunks reigned it in a bit, you wouldn't have so many DUI's and could drive.

At least have the dignity to clean yourself up and take the bus in the meantime.

Who knows, with some time off the sauce, you might also be able to hold down a job, then you could be successful and buy a car like the rest of us successful people, and wouldn't have to ride a child's toy or walk everywhere.

Then we could get rid of all the stupid paths and get some extra lanes in there for people going to and from contributing to society...
I mean...wow...thats a hard take but okay...

Old 05-25-2024, 09:46 AM   #15480
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Are the rollerbladers a problem? I see very few of them anymore. The electric scooters and one wheelers (what do you call those things?) they should be the ones everyone else hates together. Maybe group in some of the ebikers too.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post: