Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2024, 05:01 PM   #3521
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I will try to avoid being antagonistic here.

It isn’t that you ONLY get top centres and defensemen at the top of the draft - it’s that the top of the draft is the easiest place to find them.

But you can’t fixate on position with 18 year olds. The Habs did that with Kotkaniemi and missed out on Quinn Hughes and Brady Tkachuk as a result.

In the Flames’ case, they’re not picking at the top of the draft - they’re picking 9th.

There’s no reason to believe this team will draft any lower over the next three years - they have 11 UFAs over the next two seasons (12 if you include Markstrom, who will be dealt this summer, hopefully before the draft).

If they think Tij is gonna be even 80% of his dad, take him - if this draft has eight other players that are 80% of Jarome Iginla, it’s the draft of the decade.

Dont disagree.

However i do think this drafts top ten or 12 is rather good if not great All of the top rated defenders all have the tool kits to be first pair if not stud defencemen. Parehk is breaking records most have him outside the top ten. To me thats crazy.

I really think a lot of people are underestimating how good the top of this draft is and how lucky we are with a 9 pick that it ended up that way.
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 05:21 PM   #3522
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
Dont disagree.

However i do think this drafts top ten or 12 is rather good if not great All of the top rated defenders all have the tool kits to be first pair if not stud defencemen. Parehk is breaking records most have him outside the top ten. To me thats crazy.

I really think a lot of people are underestimating how good the top of this draft is and how lucky we are with a 9 pick that it ended up that way.
No question it’s a good year to have a top-10 pick.

Whoever we pick looks like they’ll be a player.

If we’re able to draft Iginla, it’s because a bunch of these other guys went before him.

If we’re not in position to get Tij, it’s because someone loved him ahead of us, and we’ll get one of Dickinson, Parehk, Catton or Lindstrom.

All are wins to me.

I just don’t like any of NCAA guys - not forever, of course, but I wouldn’t pass on Iggy Jr or any of the other players I listed for an American who isn’t leaps and bounds better.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 05:29 PM   #3523
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
No question it’s a good year to have a top-10 pick.

Whoever we pick looks like they’ll be a player.

If we’re able to draft Iginla, it’s because a bunch of these other guys went before him.

If we’re not in position to get Tij, it’s because someone loved him ahead of us, and we’ll get one of Dickinson, Parehk, Catton or Lindstrom.

All are wins to me.

I just don’t like any of NCAA guys - not forever, of course, but I wouldn’t pass on Iggy Jr or any of the other players I listed for an American who isn’t leaps and bounds better.

Ya short of going completely left field the options for nine are good. Personally? Buium Dickinson or yakemchuk. Catton or lindstrom? All great options.

Even if we pick tij i like the player just think their will be a whole lot of better options.
Old 05-24-2024, 05:37 PM   #3524
jmerkel3d
Farm Team Player

Exp:

This draft has proven to be a lot of fun, we will surely get a good player at 9. Hard to imagine anyone we get at 9 not being a really exciting prospect.

Catton is very interesting to me but I'm worried about his ability to create off the cycle as opposed to the rush where he obviously excels. But his feel for the game and the skill is incredible. Does anybody else get Clayton Keller vibes from him?

Even Eiserman is intriguing. I don't love the character questions but his talent is undeniable. I honestly think a year in college will really help round out his game and whoever gets him will be very happy.

Watching Silayev skate and move the puck suggests to me that he may be scary if he continues to develop as expected.

I also think there's some good players in the teens like Greentree, Hage, and the Nygaard kid. Interesting to see if anyone slips to us at 28.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
jmerkel3d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmerkel3d For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 05:40 PM   #3525
jmerkel3d
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dont disagree.

Agreed. Funny it was considered a weak draft initially.

Old 05-24-2024, 06:01 PM   #3526
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Parekh playing in the memorial cup right now. Dickinson and the knights play tomorrow
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 06:04 PM   #3527
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerkel3d View Post
Agreed. Funny it was considered a weak draft initially.

From what i have seen over the years a lot if draft strength is attributed to the top five. With only a clear cut number one i think a lot of people, draft people included, assumed it wasn’t very deep. Dont have data to back that but drafts as deep as last year just done happen all that often.

Pull three of the top defencemen out and ya it looks more average but im bullish on the top 7 or 8 defencemen. Add in four five high end forwards and ya you suddenly have a great top end draft.
Old 05-24-2024, 06:06 PM   #3528
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s safe to say we’re getting a game-changing player at 9th OA this season. With that said, here is my top 9 based on preference:

Celebrini
Demidov
Buium
Catton
Levshunov
Dickinson
Parekh
Iginla
Silayev
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 06:10 PM   #3529
jmerkel3d
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
From what i have seen over the years a lot if draft strength is attributed to the top five. With only a clear cut number one i think a lot of people, draft people included, assumed it wasn’t very deep. Dont have data to back that but drafts as deep as last year just done happen all that often.

Pull three of the top defencemen out and ya it looks more average but im bullish on the top 7 or 8 defencemen. Add in four five high end forwards and ya you suddenly have a great top end draft.
Great point about the very top of the draft. This draft is pretty unique in how the top half of the first round is so tricky to project after the top 2-3, I don't really remember another like it. Most drafts have the clear cut "tiers" that were so used to hearing about, but haven't heard a lot of that outside of Celebrini and Demidov being the cream.

Old 05-24-2024, 06:21 PM   #3530
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
It’s safe to say we’re getting a game-changing player at 9th OA this season. With that said, here is my top 9 based on preference:

It's not safe to say at all. Prospects are incredibly exciting, and whoever is drafted will probably excite everyone (unless they go way off the board. But there are no sure things, and one or more prospects will bust or disappoint or not rise to the level people hope for.

Even a contributing NHLer whose not a game changing player, but turns into a top-6 or top 4 guy, would be a win.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 06:23 PM   #3531
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
Parekh playing in the memorial cup right now. Dickinson and the knights play tomorrow
watch Sam O'Reilly of the Knights. 2nd round target
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 06:25 PM   #3532
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Celebrini
Demidov
Buium
Catton
Levshunov
Dickinson
Parekh
Iginla
Silayev
It’s crazy because Lindstrom isn’t even in your top 9 and there’s still Helenius, Yakemchuk, and Eiserman.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 06:35 PM   #3533
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Saginaw 1-0. Assisted by parekh
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 06:38 PM   #3534
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Great point about the very top of the draft. This draft is pretty unique in how the top half of the first round is so tricky to project after the top 2-3, I don't really remember another like it. Most drafts have the clear cut "tiers" that were so used to hearing about, but haven't heard a lot of that outside of Celebrini and Demidov being the cream.

Not wrong. To me its top one or two but honestly i dont have much separation between 1 and about 12. Yakemchuk is usually near top ten just outside but realistically he could turn out to be the best defender in a group of great defenders. I see slight down steps at about twelve thirteen, another drop near the end of the first, and the second, and from what i see another near the bottom of the second to about round four.

However the changes from tier to tier dont seem to be as obvious or drastic as most years, and having a somewhat homogeneous group of ten or twelve right at the top makes it even more unusual.

That is just my opinion though.
Old 05-24-2024, 06:39 PM   #3535
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I will try to avoid being antagonistic here.

It isn’t that you ONLY get top centres and defensemen at the top of the draft - it’s that the top of the draft is the easiest place to find them.

But you can’t fixate on position with 18 year olds. The Habs did that with Kotkaniemi and missed out on Quinn Hughes and Brady Tkachuk as a result.

In the Flames’ case, they’re not picking at the top of the draft - they’re picking 9th.

There’s no reason to believe this team will draft any lower over the next three years - they have 11 UFAs over the next two seasons (12 if you include Markstrom, who will be dealt this summer, hopefully before the draft).

If they think Tij is gonna be even 80% of his dad, take him - if this draft has eight other players that are 80% of Jarome Iginla, it’s the draft of the decade.
It’s a good point but I’m sure there are examples that go the other way. They might not be as easy to identify, cause they would be considered good picks, but it’s not far fetched to think at certain points in time certain teams had fixated on positional need and it worked out favourably. I’m sure it happens every draft. It’s just not picked apart as the bad draft picks are.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 06:49 PM   #3536
jmerkel3d
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not wrong. To me its top one or two but honestly i dont have much separation between 1 and about 12. Yakemchuk is usually near top ten just outside but realistically he could turn out to be the best defender in a group of great defenders. I see slight down steps at about twelve thirteen, another drop near the end of the first, and the second, and from what i see another near the bottom of the second to about round four.

However the changes from tier to tier dont seem to be as obvious or drastic as most years, and having a somewhat homogeneous group of ten or twelve right at the top makes it even more unusual.

That is just my opinion though.
That's a pretty fair assessment from all that I've heard.

Yakemchuk has such an interesting toolset. I wouldn't necessarily be thrilled with him at 9, but I would trust that management has been well positioned to make a reliable assessment. Anybody have a good NHL comp for him?

Old 05-24-2024, 06:56 PM   #3537
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
That's a pretty fair assessment from all that I've heard.

Yakemchuk has such an interesting toolset. I wouldn't necessarily be thrilled with him at 9, but I would trust that management has been well positioned to make a reliable assessment. Anybody have a good NHL comp for him?

My dream is to get ten, or eleven out of buffalo, walk out with yak and catton.

Yak i dont know who to compare to. 6.3 but has the hands if a small forward, plays with an edge. Has a nasty shot from close and distance, good skater should only get better. Seems to have pretty good vision and iq.
Old 05-24-2024, 07:00 PM   #3538
jmerkel3d
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
My dream is to get ten, or eleven out of buffalo, walk out with yak and catton.

Yak i dont know who to compare to. 6.3 but has the hands if a small forward, plays with an edge. Has a nasty shot from close and distance, good skater should only get better. Seems to have pretty good vision and iq.
I know we always talk about trying to get a second first rounder (or one if we've traded it) but this year really does seem like a year to try, given where the team is at and some of the assets we have that might make sense to trade.

Yeah it's quite a skill set for Yak. Can't really think of a good comparable...

The Following User Says Thank You to jmerkel3d For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 07:07 PM   #3539
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also, a little late but we did a Twitter/X thread with updates from the World Junior U18 tourney from Sandman. It's all here using Threadreader:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...060443687.html

If yah still dabble around on Twitter/X here's the thread link:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1790553210060443687
Old 05-24-2024, 07:15 PM   #3540
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Celebrini
Demidov
Buium
Catton
Levshunov
Dickinson
Parekh
Iginla
Silayev
I think as long as we draft someone in the consensus 10 or 11 picks, then we're coming away with a really good player.

My list right now is something like this:

Celebrini
Demidov
Levshunov
Catton
Iginla
Lindstrom
Perekh
Dickinson
Yakemchuk
___
Buium
Silayev

Obviously a bit of an Iggy bias (really hope we draft him). Also hoping we don't draft Silayev if he's available to us - I just think there are players with higher upside - and Buium because of the NCAA/American factor.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHawk12 For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft