Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2024, 06:40 AM   #201
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

And the Survivor 46 winner is...

There is a lot of strategy on Survivor. Moves are made. Players are blindsided. Endgames are put into place. But for all that tinkering and strategizing and alliance-making, the game of Survivor is primarily a social one, and the folks that end up winning are usually the ones who form the closest bonds with other players… meaning the jury.

That explains why Kenzie Petty was just crowned the winner of Survivor 46.
"Yeah, I got brought along on votes," she told the jury in a refreshing bit of honesty. "I'll take it. I'll own it. It's true. I'm not going to say I drove a vote."
Kenzie's path to victory actually began with a key move during the finale's first immunity challenge. After solving the puzzle, Kenzie could not figure out the clue to "Count the number of geckos, puzzle pieces, and holes in your plank." But Liz Wilcox read the clue and abandoned her own attempt to win the challenge — racing back to retrieve Kenzie's plank for her and deny Maria Shrime Gonzalez from winning a record-tying fourth immunity challenge victory.

In the end, Charlie got the fast pass to the final three, while Kenzie and Liz battled it out in fire. It wasn’t much of a battle.
While Charlie appeared to have the firmest strategic ground to stand on thanks to his game control from the shadows, it was Kenzie's social skills that stood out. In the end, Charlie did not even receive Maria's vote, as his former island bestie joined Tiffany, Tevin Davis, Q Burdette, and Venus Vafa in voting for the winner.
https://ew.com/survivor-46-winner-re...-maria-8652077

Meh, so so season with horrible casting.

1. EldrickOnIce - Jemila / Bhanu
2. csnarpy -Jessica / Randen
3. trackercowe -Venus / Liz
4. Cheese - Kenzie / Ben
5. WhiteTiger - Moriah / Q
6. GreenLantern - Tim / Tevin
7. ChuckieNZ - Tiffany / Maria
8. Fuzz - Q / Moriah
9. dino7c - Liz / David
10. mikephoen - Hunter / Jemila
11. jg13 - Randen / Jessica
12. transplant99 - Charlie / Tiffany
13. surferguy - Soda / Soda
14. Barnes - Tevin / Charlie
15. savardandjokinen - Ben / Tim
16. jroc - Maria / Kenzie
17. Sultan -David / Hunter
18. droopydrew19 - Bhanu / Venus

jroc and I both selected Kenzie for the win, although it should have been Charlie!
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 10:06 AM   #202
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Well at least that terrible season is over with. Q giving his vote based on how you would spend the money, and not how you played the game, was a perfect snapshot of what the show has become: reward the floaters, boot the strong players as soon as possible. And Maria not voting for Charlie was beyond ridiculous.

The show needs a wakeup before people stop watching altogether. Needs good players, villains, players that will actually play their hidden immunity idols. Way too many nice people on the show that don't play the game. It's getting boring.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 10:32 AM   #203
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t believe how well Charlie handled himself. For a 25 year old guy missing out on a million dollars because his best friend was bitter (You threw the first punch Maria, wake up) and because Q changes his opinion based on wind direction - he sure kept his composure. He has a lot of class and integrity, I hope he gets invited back.

Kenzie isn’t a horrible winner by any means but Charlie should have won that vote.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 04:56 PM   #204
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Back to back CP Survivor pool wins!! Whoop whoop!!

Thanks for putting it together Cheese!
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jroc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 08:58 PM   #205
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

I half expected someone to quit in the finals since Survivor has become all about quitting , trying to quit , or crying

Just an embarrassment of a season

Charlie choked not volunteering to make fire (what was he afraid of) and then doubling down when Hunter tried to throw him a question lifeline about fire

Not a horrible winner , but a horrible season
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 01:22 AM   #206
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Well at least that terrible season is over with. Q giving his vote based on how you would spend the money, and not how you played the game, was a perfect snapshot of what the show has become: reward the floaters, boot the strong players as soon as possible. And Maria not voting for Charlie was beyond ridiculous.

The show needs a wakeup before people stop watching altogether. Needs good players, villains, players that will actually play their hidden immunity idols. Way too many nice people on the show that don't play the game. It's getting boring.
It needs to be Survivor AU
Old 05-24-2024, 05:22 AM   #207
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

ENTERTAINMENT WEKELY: We have to start right here. Tell me about the choice to not vote for your number one in the game, Charlie, to win Survivor and instead giving your vote and, the way it worked out with the numbers, a million dollars to Kenzie?

MARIA SHRIME GONZALEZ: In this game, I feel like there were many times where I was torn between my heart and my head, my heart and my head. And I think that was never more clear than in the pizza reward. When I was trying to decide where my heart said pick Liz, my head said pick Q. Q's been a very loyal ally to me. What am I supposed to do? And I went with my head. When it came to that final Tribal Council, actually starting back at the fire, when I watched Kenzie make fire, there was a look in her eyes — a fierceness in her eyes of a powerful woman who overcame something. And that spoke to me so deeply in my core.

She also said, “I'm doing this for me.” And if you know anything about my story, my story of coming on the show was choosing me. My story was saying: I've put everybody ahead of me, as in motherhood, being a mom, and coming on the show is finally doing something for me. And so when those words came out of her mouth, I was stunned. And so I was going up the steps at Tribal… Charlie, Kenzie, Charlie Kenzie, head, heart, head, heart. And ultimately I chose my heart. And I feel really proud. I was one of five votes, so it wasn't just me. And it killed me to not vote for Charlie. I adore Charlie. I have the utmost respect for Charlie, but I chose my heart.

https://ew.com/survivor-46-maria-shr...ojPHgKLsZc5bYl
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:59 AM   #208
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

That's a pretty terrible answer, imo. Like I said before, these people should be picking winners on how they played the game, not how they're going to spend the money afterwards or the 'look in her eyes' or any other silliness. Who played the best game? That's how you pick the winner, end of story.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 10:04 AM   #209
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a pretty terrible answer, imo. Like I said before, these people should be picking winners on how they played the game, not how they're going to spend the money afterwards or the 'look in her eyes' or any other silliness. Who played the best game? That's how you pick the winner, end of story.
Except it's not. Survivor is ultimately a social game. You can say Kenzie won because she leveraged that to success. None of the other stuff ultimately matters, it's how you convince the jury, and the jury is made up of people who can be swayed by all sorts of arguments. You may not agree with her vote(and I don't) but there are no rules dictating what is and isn't the right way to select a winner based on how well they played in the aspects you think are important.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 10:48 AM   #210
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Except it's not. Survivor is ultimately a social game. You can say Kenzie won because she leveraged that to success. None of the other stuff ultimately matters, it's how you convince the jury, and the jury is made up of people who can be swayed by all sorts of arguments. You may not agree with her vote(and I don't) but there are no rules dictating what is and isn't the right way to select a winner based on how well they played in the aspects you think are important.
Actually a lot of similarities to how the latest BBCan series ended. The one player who was a much better manipulator and basically controlled the game came second to the person who was liked by almost everyone.

The hardest part I find in picking a winner is that we get to see an edit which isn't always the way the players are seeing the game internally. Charlie was very easy to just say he rode Maria the whole time when you don't get all the producer interviews. He definitely was as strong as Maria from what I saw on TV, but I can also see how the other players wouldn't have been able to see how he was just as important as she was.

Not a big fan of the "fire in her eyes" reasoning as Charlie was a fierce competitor in every single challenge, and was the one who stood toe to toe with Hunter. Dude had as much drive as Kenzie and I think that the fire making challenge is always weighted way too high by players.

I might try out the AU version this summer after all the raving about it. Anyone suggest a specific season to look out for, or just go grab the latest?
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 01:20 PM   #211
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Yeah, I know there are no rules. I'm saying some of the reasons for picking winners are idiotic. How are you going to spend the money if you win? Really? The 'look in her eyes' comment by Maria was just a copout. She was clearly butthurt by getting voted out by Charlie before she got him out first.

The show needs better players, smarter players, and jury members who are going to pick the ultimate winner based on who played the best game. I understand the jurors can use whatever reasoning they want for their final vote, but imo it's ruining the show. I'm not the only one losing interest in it. There have been some really weak seasons lately and the show needs to stop bringing in so many nice people who don't know even know how to use an immunity idol and start bringing in smarter people who will make it more interesting to watch.
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 01:48 PM   #212
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of people are calling for Probst's head

https://www.vulture.com/article/surv...ff-probst.html

I can't say I disagree. All of these changes have not worked out for the better. I still don't see how having three tribes and making each season 26 days is considered an "improvement". These smaller tribes have not worked out, as usually one tribe gets decimated. It's not enjoyable watching one tribe have 2-3 players while the others have 5-6.

Gone are the themed seasons, villains of the past, and real strategic gameplay. Yet those still exist in Survivor Australia. So it can't be that us North Americans are incapable of playing that way. These all seem like changes made by Probst and the producers which has severely hindered the show.

It's unfortunate JLP (the host of Austalia) is 54 himself, as he would be ideal to takeover the American version. Yet we all seem to agree that this New Era doesn't hold a candle to the older version. Ever since Winners at War the show has gone downhill in a hurry. Sure there are "memorable" players, but for all the wrong reasons. When Caroline becomes the mould of players they're looking for (which was mentioned multiple times) you know there's something wrong with the casting process.

Long gone are the days of Borneo. Now it's become a TLC version of Survivor.

As for recommendations of where to start on Australian Survivor you could start off with the latest season, but there are often returnees or spoilers from previous seasons. The peak seasons began in 2016, but the general consensus is that the best seasons are 2017, Titans vs Rebels (2024), Champions vs Contenders (2018), Heroes vs Villains (2023), Brains vs Brawn (2021), Champions vs Contenders 2 (2019). I believe csnarpy has them all posted up, but many are available on Youtube.

I honestly can't believe some loyalists still believe the American version is better. I stood on that ground BEFORE I actually watched the Australian version... but once you get off the ground you immediately realize our version doesn't hold a candle to the Aussies. Look at how physically (and mentally) tough the final challenge is compared to the US version. It's a total farce.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 01:56 PM   #213
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I know there are no rules. I'm saying some of the reasons for picking winners are idiotic. How are you going to spend the money if you win? Really? The 'look in her eyes' comment by Maria was just a copout. She was clearly butthurt by getting voted out by Charlie before she got him out first.

The show needs better players, smarter players, and jury members who are going to pick the ultimate winner based on who played the best game. I understand the jurors can use whatever reasoning they want for their final vote, but imo it's ruining the show. I'm not the only one losing interest in it. There have been some really weak seasons lately and the show needs to stop bringing in so many nice people who don't know even know how to use an immunity idol and start bringing in smarter people who will make it more interesting to watch.
Ya, it really does come down to casting. Fire the entire team at this point.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 01:57 PM   #214
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kenzie was a fine winner, but she didn't do anything extraordinary. I can't really recall a memorable moment she had in the show. Building fire shouldn't count for anything! It's not like she excelled at that anyway, she only won because Liz was a complete failure. The fact that Liz never once practiced making fire is pretty damning. Liz goes on my list as one of the worst players in the game (yet somehow she's better than Q). I wish they would have asked the jury if they would have voted for her (my guess is no). Yet Kenzie got praise for having to build fire... Sure she won an important immunity, but Charlie won more.

I think it goes to show that Hunter, Soda, and Tevin voted for Charlie. I would consider those three to be actual strategic players, who belong on the show. Those who voted for Kenzie (Q, Liz, Venus) were all poor contestants who had no business being on the show, and were only on for clout. Tiffany was friends with Kenzie, so het vote was all but guaranteed. Then of course there is Maria, who voted out of spite.

Again Kenzie is a good person and a "fine" winner, but I don't see how anyone can say she played a better game than Charlie.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 02:31 PM   #215
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

IMO Blood vs Water is without a doubt the best season with a probably the best winner Ive ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Lots of people are calling for Probst's head

https://www.vulture.com/article/surv...ff-probst.html

I can't say I disagree. All of these changes have not worked out for the better. I still don't see how having three tribes and making each season 26 days is considered an "improvement". These smaller tribes have not worked out, as usually one tribe gets decimated. It's not enjoyable watching one tribe have 2-3 players while the others have 5-6.

Gone are the themed seasons, villains of the past, and real strategic gameplay. Yet those still exist in Survivor Australia. So it can't be that us North Americans are incapable of playing that way. These all seem like changes made by Probst and the producers which has severely hindered the show.

It's unfortunate JLP (the host of Austalia) is 54 himself, as he would be ideal to takeover the American version. Yet we all seem to agree that this New Era doesn't hold a candle to the older version. Ever since Winners at War the show has gone downhill in a hurry. Sure there are "memorable" players, but for all the wrong reasons. When Caroline becomes the mould of players they're looking for (which was mentioned multiple times) you know there's something wrong with the casting process.

Long gone are the days of Borneo. Now it's become a TLC version of Survivor.

As for recommendations of where to start on Australian Survivor you could start off with the latest season, but there are often returnees or spoilers from previous seasons. The peak seasons began in 2016, but the general consensus is that the best seasons are 2017, Titans vs Rebels (2024), Champions vs Contenders (2018), Heroes vs Villains (2023), Brains vs Brawn (2021), Champions vs Contenders 2 (2019). I believe csnarpy has them all posted up, but many are available on Youtube.

I honestly can't believe some loyalists still believe the American version is better. I stood on that ground BEFORE I actually watched the Australian version... but once you get off the ground you immediately realize our version doesn't hold a candle to the Aussies. Look at how physically (and mentally) tough the final challenge is compared to the US version. It's a total farce.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 02:32 PM   #216
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Blood vs Water!!

(I think I’m repeating myself, lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
Actually a lot of similarities to how the latest BBCan series ended. The one player who was a much better manipulator and basically controlled the game came second to the person who was liked by almost everyone.

The hardest part I find in picking a winner is that we get to see an edit which isn't always the way the players are seeing the game internally. Charlie was very easy to just say he rode Maria the whole time when you don't get all the producer interviews. He definitely was as strong as Maria from what I saw on TV, but I can also see how the other players wouldn't have been able to see how he was just as important as she was.

Not a big fan of the "fire in her eyes" reasoning as Charlie was a fierce competitor in every single challenge, and was the one who stood toe to toe with Hunter. Dude had as much drive as Kenzie and I think that the fire making challenge is always weighted way too high by players.

I might try out the AU version this summer after all the raving about it. Anyone suggest a specific season to look out for, or just go grab the latest?
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 10:53 PM   #217
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really like Kenzie… but Charlie should have won easily. Basically I agree with everything everyone else has said. Bad casting is leading to disappointing seasons. Since I seem to agree with everyone’s thoughts, I should probably also follow the advice and watch the Aussie version.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 11:01 PM   #218
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Also, I hate how much weight the jury gives to the fire making challenge. Somehow that’s more important than winning the final immunity. It makes no sense.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 01:59 AM   #219
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
I started watching during Blood vs Water and that, and any season afterwards is well ahead of the US version in the last 13 years.

I have no doubt in my mind you'll be hooked if you enjoy the american version of the show.
jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:23 AM   #220
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've watched every single season since the beginning.... considering throwing in the towel moving forward. Better ways to spend 1.5 hours each week.

Casting is terrible. Challenges are all the same. Boring!

Also how did Jeff not ask the jury if anyone would have voted for Liz? Oh wait, he likely didn't want to hurt Liz's feelings.

Edit:
Probst says/said no more villians will be cast!!! WTF!!!?

https://insidesurvivor.com/jeff-prob...%20Heroes%20vs.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post: