Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2024, 06:56 PM   #861
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 07:24 PM   #862
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

After the Cavs took Montreal to the limit in the CC in 2019, they fired Remi Garde days later. Saputo doesn't think the CPL teams are in the same levek and seem to think his teams are too good for MLS, so it's not surprising there is frustration. The CC doesn't mean anything to those MLS teams.

As for the Whitecaps and Messi, I get it, they sold 80% of the tickets for the game and probably sold a bunch of season tickets in the offseason because of this single game. Also not a suprise given Miami is as far from Vancouver as possible, that he and his crew don't play given the schedule...so the Whitecaps have to get in front of their fans to limit the discontent when Messi says he's not playing.

Last edited by browna; 05-23-2024 at 07:31 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:57 AM   #863
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem for the Whitecaps is they jacked up prices for this game like 400%.
They can't say they have no control over who plays while also charging based on who plays.
People are pissed, and rightfully so.
I think this will have a lasting negative impact with the fan base, for a club that has already done nothing for the fan base.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 10:17 AM   #864
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, if I purchased tickets for that game in the hopes of seeing Messi, I'd be rightfully pissed off if he wasn't going to play. Especially if they marketed it with Messi's face.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 11:50 AM   #865
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, the issue is that Whitecaps raised prices significantly for the game knowing full well people would pay to see Messi. When you charge a boatload of money for the chance to see a player you run the risk of a PR disaster when that player doesn't show. But people are also suckers and should have known there was a good chance that Messi skipped town.

Vancouver FC is attempting to capitalize on Messi missing out and I'm curious to see if they get a bump in attendance.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1793837181850779938

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 12:01 PM   #866
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that's a terrific opportunistic marketing ploy. Well done VFC
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 12:42 PM   #867
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thought i would throw this in here, but I have two tickets (sec 200) to the game on Sunday if anyone wants to hit up the game. No cost.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 05:24 PM   #868
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most MLS teams pumped up prices for Messi. Simple economics.

Mainly because it's such an extraordinary situation for the couple years he plays MLS, so if the club doesn't take the profit from the unusual demand, there are ticket brokers who gladly will, while the consumer pays the same price.

Cavs would've done the same if by miracle Inter Miami got drawn in the Concacaf Championship instead of Orlando (whether playing in Vancouver as they did, or somehow managed to play it here), while there being an even greater chance then that he wasn't going to play in an opening round CCL in Feb in Canada.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 06:08 PM   #869
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

What a snoozer that one was. Our attack this whole season has been very poor, we don’t move the ball through the middle at all. All we do is play through the wings, and with no Musse or Akio we only have Brooks who is a threat out wide, and it all becomes very predictable and easy to defend against.

At least the weather turned out to be nice in the end.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 06:10 PM   #870
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was one of the worst first halves Cavalry has ever played IMO, no wonder Tommy made an entire midfield swap at halftime.

Good teams don’t give up the goals that Cavalry has been conceding this year. They also need to figure out how to score

Was Tommy asking the guys in 201 about the no call on Diaz or was he beaking off at them? My buddy and I couldn’t hear the whole thing from 109 and thought it could go either way. Anyone hear?

I know I am an armchair QB but I’d love to ask Tommy why Aird is playing so deep and they’re pushing Klomp up when they are looking for a goal. Without Musse, Aird is the best player at putting the ball into the box and creating chances. And with him staying back to cover for Klomp now Warschiewski is playing wider because you need his crossing ability and you’re taking away his biggest asset which is his size and strength on the ball. It looks to me like they’re making this harder than it needs to be. When you’re trying to control the game, sure let Klomp play the Man City John Stones role and overload the midfield, makes sense. But when you need a goal? I’d rather more creative players push forward. Anyone seeing it differently?
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 06:21 PM   #871
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Was Tommy asking the guys in 201 about the no call on Diaz or was he beaking off at them? My buddy and I couldn’t hear the whole thing from 109 and thought it could go either way. Anyone hear?
I was also in 109 and couldn’t hear anything, but the body language was definitely not good. They appeared to giving it to Tommy, but he was giving it back.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 07:08 PM   #872
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

They were shouting at Tommy "why are you clapping" when he was applauding the fans on his way off of the field. He took exception, and went to talk with them.

Pretty brutal of the fans to use him applauding them as an opportunity to go after him.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 07:17 PM   #873
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I left right after the whistle as I didn't want to clap them off, but from what I've heard the folks in 201 were telling Tommy that the club needs to score more goals and he got quite heated with them asking along the lines of "what the #### do you want me to do score them myself". That was about it.

The club put in another poor effort and quite frankly they deserve some stick for it.

Also, they brought on the watering trucks at half time to water the pitch for who knows what reason, and it did a decent bit of damage. Don't know what the thinking was there...

Old 05-26-2024, 07:18 PM   #874
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing that's frustrating about the game here is that many in CPL seem to think that "passion" means "blind support". Booing means you care. What you don't want is silence or people staying away. I think the team deserves their criticism to start the year and having a go at supporters in response is poor form.

But this isn't the first time he's done this. We saw the same thing when Cavalry were knocked out by Forge in 2022. After receiving well deserved and fair criticism I remember Tommy's buddy at Foothills having a go at a few people including myself.

There is of course a limit as to what is acceptable but I don't think anyone crossed the line based on what I heard second hand today.

A couple good results and people are all back in each other's good books.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 07:50 PM   #875
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My two cents on today's game:

- The first half was very poor, right from the start. As someone mentioned earlier, we seemed incapable of playing the ball through midfield. It was Valour who took the initiative in the first half and were playing through the lines quickly.
- I thought the second half was better and there was a spell where we created 2 or 3 very good chances. Brooks hit the post, Shaw came close, Klomp and Warschewski both had a decent chances with headers.
- When we're not winning nor scoring much it's easy to say that we miss Bevan; but we really miss Bevan. He's strong and quick and able to stretch defences with his runs. I don't think Malcolm Shaw is a poor striker but playing on his own up front is asking a lot for a player of his size, particularly given that we're not really coming through the midfield. Personally, I'd rather see Warschewski in that position but I understand we're a bit thin out wide at the moment, particularly today with no Akio, Musse nor Henry available. There were a couple moments in the second half where Shaw had the ball at his feet in the box and I think Warschewski is more dangerous in that kind of position with his size and skill. He's got great feet and is capable of corkscrewing his way into a shooting opportunity in the box.

The next two weeks will be very interesting. The pressure is definitely mounting to start getting some wins and climbing the table. We're at Pacific next weekend and then home to Forge the following weekend. Big games.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ditty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 06:54 AM   #876
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
They were shouting at Tommy "why are you clapping" when he was applauding the fans on his way off of the field. He took exception, and went to talk with them.

Pretty brutal of the fans to use him applauding them as an opportunity to go after him.
The Footsoldiers are a bit of a double-edged sword. I've seen guys there "offer their opinion" to Tommy on several occasions and it's just embarrassing. At the same time though, the support is great and I think it's a huge boost for the club when things are going well.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 08:24 AM   #877
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Was Tommy asking the guys in 201 about the no call on Diaz
Just to clear this one up as I was in 107 and my view directly aligned behind Diaz's run - the Valour player didn't touch him, Diaz frustratingly threw himself to the ground looking for the peno.
Old 05-27-2024, 08:47 AM   #878
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Just to clear this one up as I was in 107 and my view directly aligned behind Diaz's run - the Valour player didn't touch him, Diaz frustratingly threw himself to the ground looking for the peno.
I thought the same thing from where I was sitting. Looking for a call

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I left right after the whistle as I didn't want to clap them off, but from what I've heard the folks in 201 were telling Tommy that the club needs to score more goals and he got quite heated with them asking along the lines of "what the #### do you want me to do score them myself". That was about it.
He is the coach and it looks like Cavalry is not consistently putting themselves into positions to score. Outside of a free kick/corner headed goal what is a “Cavalry goal”? Coaches should be designing passages of playing that are
replicable and repeatable to put their players in positions to score.

I’m also not sure I agree with Tommy when he said after the game that they had enough chances to win multiple games. They had a few chances but outside of a couple spells like ditty said they weren’t really penetrating the defence. Would’ve been nice to see them really put the ball on net after Valour’s keeper was spilling everything and slipping all over the place. Made it so easy for him.

I also agree that fans have the right to boo or express their frustration however I think we as a crowd sucked yesterday. When the team is flat the crowd needs to lift them. We should be trying to suck the ball into the net. After the game sure give them some stick. And I also think that these things shouldn’t carry over to the next game from a crowd perspective. New game, blank slate. After the season is the time to let the cumulative effect come out IMO. Miss the playoffs? Boo the heck out of them. I was at a game in Germany years ago where Stuttgart got relegated and their fans let them have it after the whistle blew.

I’m surprised at how annoyed I am this morning at how that match went. It is a long season ahead and they have an identical record to what they had last year after 7 games.
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 08:50 AM   #879
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
The Footsoldiers are a bit of a double-edged sword. I've seen guys there "offer their opinion" to Tommy on several occasions and it's just embarrassing.
You sure? There's the Foot Soldiers, and the Horsemen. Tommy was getting into it with the Horsemen yesterday. They're more vocal and a different type of supporter group. I've been to almost every single game, and I've never seen the Foot Soldiers get into it with Tommy - I should know, I'm in 200 and part of the Foot Soldiers.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 09:10 AM   #880
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

How would one tell the difference between the two groups? Genuinely curious, because up til now I was just lumping them into one crowd.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , ftf , soccer