Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2024, 09:41 AM   #701
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not panicking yet. I thought Dallas was cooked when they were down 0-2 against Vegas.

That being said, yeah, I think this Oilers team right now isn't the Oilers teams we're used to seeing in the McDrai era.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:42 AM   #702
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly have to agree with other posters. Their D actually looks good. Everyone has bought in. Really needed to score on that double minor. Its going to be a long series I think.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:44 AM   #703
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dallas for whatever reason can't quite bring their full A game in series game 1's lately.

Skinner got his above average game out of the way in a game Dallas only really played the 2nd half of.

Oilers squeak a win in double OT after getting out played in the first OT.

Not concerned. Still Dallas in 6, 5 if they shell Skinner next game.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:44 AM   #704
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
"The stars have lost 7 consecutive game 1s"
- from a Stars fan friend

I haven't fact checked.

People were downplaying that they are deep and make up for loss of Hintz. Not having Roope is a big hit especially against E=NG.
Someone said earlier that they haven't won a Game 1 since 2020 so that sounds about right.

Pete DeBoer also hasn't lost a Game 7 so that's a nice thing to have as a backup.

Dallas also needs to fix that atrocious camera angle. Even when people are sitting it's hard to see action against the near-side boards.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 09:45 AM   #705
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

EDM looked really good defensively last night although Dallas seemed to be on tilt for most of the game.

Clock is ticking and not in a good way.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 09:49 AM   #706
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Been kind of resigned since the Oilers landed McDavid that we'd have to deal with them winning something and to have to take another flames fan gut punch, we should be good at that by now but still sucks - the hard part this year is that it felt like they were one playoff loss and even one individual loss away from Draisaitl walking which probably leads to McDavid leaving next year. Bigger fear for me now is if they win and those two dip####s actually decide to stay in that armpit for another 5 years.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:49 AM   #707
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Looks like 2006 all over again to me. Dallas didn't look great last night but they are now the third straight team to look pretty bad against the Oilers so it just feels like destiny. As long as it ends the same way as 2006 I can live with that.
To Tkachuk's beautiful grinning mug?

Let's also not write off the Dallas Stars, who are more than used to losing game 1. The goalposts are all that stopped that from changing.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:52 AM   #708
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Oilers looked really good last night.

Was that because Dallas was playing bad or because the Oilers are gelling?

Who knows, but Dallas has played two really great teams and the Oilers have not.

I believe in Dallas.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:52 AM   #709
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett44 View Post
I have Flames portraits hanging up at my house, the Flames bobblehead collection up in my living room, and 5 Flames jerseys and I am an Oilers troll. You got me.
Regardless, your posts last night were embarrassing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 09:56 AM   #710
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Oilers looked really good last night.

Was that because Dallas was playing bad or because the Oilers are gelling?

Who knows, but Dallas has played two really great teams and the Oilers have not.

I believe in Dallas.
Oilers would not have made it through Dallas' bracket.

Dallas did make it. They've also won a series in this playoffs after going 0-2 at home. I think it's imperative not to overreact the other way.

They're the best road team in this tournament. #1 both in the regular season and post season.

When the series goes back to Edmonton, that's where the green guys will feast. Just pull out the next game in whatever fashion (hopefully with Hintz back in the fold).
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 09:57 AM   #711
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

nvm. unnecessary.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 10:18 AM   #712
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought the Stars looked rather disjointed, particularly their defensive group. Not often you can say either of Heiskanen or Tanev have off nights but both weren't near their best last night. That won't happen again.

Such is the dichotomy of rest in the playoffs. The narrative most commonly mentioned is the clear benefit of high-end players getting additional time to recover from nagging injuries - or returning all together - however seldom is the other side mentioned: the negative impact on cohesiveness of the team resulting.

Through a large sample of NHL games, the impact of rest is clearly established.
- Two days' rest is optimal, followed closely by three days' rest then one day's rest.
- From there, there is a material gap to four days' rest.
- Next is another gap to back-to-backs in which teams' struggles are well documented.
- However surprising to many is that after four days' rest, there is a precipitous decline in team performance: teams with five days' rest perform slightly worse than teams on back-to-backs and it declines significantly further the longer it goes. The implementation of the bye week cast further mainstream light on this, though the impact was even more dramatic given no hockey activity at all. However, for those who like to have some skin on games, there is still a game 1 market inefficiency in this respect (over the long term).

You want to win a series as quickly as possible for extremely obvious reasons, but it does come with a marked negative impact for game 1 of the following series.

Dallas was suffering from evident ring rust and should be much better in game 2 and beyond. Getting Hintz back will help as well once he's back in the groove.
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 11:39 AM   #713
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Lol
Really? Tons of people said Dallas in 4 and you are loling at me for saying Dallas in 5 which is still possible. Against the Oilers no less. Do you just search out my posts to find anything to mock.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:39 AM   #714
EDMONTONisNG
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Not concerned. Stars went down 0-2 vs. Vegas and stormed back. They have been in this position before.

Hintz coming back will swing the series. Probably one of the most impactful players on either side.
EDMONTONisNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 11:46 AM   #715
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Florida got pounded by the Bruins after a week off
Dallas is 5-1 on the road these playoffs, split is fine for them
Old 05-24-2024, 11:48 AM   #716
EDMONTONisNG
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Florida got pounded by the Bruins after a week off
Dallas is 5-1 on the road these playoffs, split is fine for them
the bruins also came off a big game 7 win.

Emotions were high for the oilers and dallas was coming off some rest.

It all adds up.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:50 AM   #717
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
The game was very evenly matched. Honestly don't know how anyone can say dallas looked brutal. They looked very good at times and at worst they looked average.

They were brutal defensively, giving up wide open chances left and right. Didn't see that against Vegas or Colorado outside of maybe one or two games. I really hope that was just a brain fart game from them.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 12:17 PM   #718
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I think reality starts to show up as the games go along and Dallas finds its footing.

They had spurts of looking really good and in spite of fighting through rust took the play to the clowns more than VAN did in their last two games combined.

Being a little off all over the ice opened the door to a couple flukey plays deciding this game, and that's what ended up happening.
Old 05-24-2024, 12:22 PM   #719
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDMONTONisNGfakeoilersfan View Post
Not concerned. Stars went down 0-2 vs. Vegas and stormed back. They have been in this position before.

Hintz coming back will swing the series. Probably one of the most impactful players on either side.
You should be concerned. Your oilers gonna be out in 5 games.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 12:43 PM   #720
EDMONTONisNG
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan-Nugent-Hopkins-Mustache View Post
You should be concerned. Your oilers gonna be out in 5 games.
I find you concerning. Nothing in my post suggests I cheer for the Oilers if that is what you are implying.

First you make up fake 5 on 5 stats to back up the oilers. and besides, even if they are scoring a lot on 5 on 5, that doesnt matter anyways because they are ENG. Dont project your oilers fandom on me man.

That looks like ryan nugent hopkins moustache to me.

Last edited by EDMONTONisNG; 05-24-2024 at 12:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to EDMONTONisNG For This Useful Post: