Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2024, 11:08 PM   #1761
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
This is a hilarious and awesome reply from Hronek. He’s right. “Yeah, I just decided to suck in the second half.”

I think the reporter took an unnecessary gamble in thinking he was injured. As soon as he said he wasn’t, reporter should have shut up. It’s like hey why did you suck the second half? Kind of a ####ty thing to ask someone- like obviously he wasn’t trying to suck.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 11:11 PM   #1762
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Hronek is hurt. It's not a well kept secret. His shoulder is ####ed. What Paterson wanted was a sound bite from a guy who doesn't like the media that he could run with to spin an article about some bull #### because that's what Jeff Paterson does. Hronek did not oblige.

Paterson has had his credentials revoked by the Canucks before. He's a big part of the Sekeres and Price podcast. He's a hack.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 11:12 PM   #1763
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
This is a hilarious and awesome reply from Hronek. He’s right. “Yeah, I just decided to suck in the second half.”

I think the reporter took an unnecessary gamble in thinking he was injured. As soon as he said he wasn’t, reporter should have shut up. It’s like hey why did you suck the second half? Kind of a ####ty thing to ask someone- like obviously he wasn’t trying to suck.
"Filip, you totally gambled your future on being paired with Quinn Hughes. It worked for 35 games; people thought you were a legitimate first pairing D. In the final 47 games and the playoffs, you were atrocious. Do you still think you can get a better contract than Noah Hanifin?"
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 11:17 PM   #1764
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I am curious if any of the Canuck fans that post here are now rooting for the Oilers.

I am absolutely disgusted by some of the Canuck fans I have talked to around my work who say they are now rooting for the Oilers. What the hell is wrong with you people?
My golf course in Van has 2 McDavid jerseys hanging up in the pro shop window.
I didn't go in to ask why. Maybe a lost bet, maybe one of the pros is from Edmonton, maybe an Oiler (a member) donated them as a prize?
Maybe they've jumped on the Canada's team wagon.
Strange to see 2 days after game 7 though.

Canucks fans in general don't carry the passion (and hate for a rival) we do.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 11:18 PM   #1765
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just woke up.

Barf
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 11:38 PM   #1766
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post

I've said this many times before, you guys get more from the loss from one of the teams you hate than a Flames win.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 11:54 PM   #1767
tony-soprano
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Considering BC only has one hockey team, you would think the fan base would be more rabid in the regular season. They only show up during the playoffs and burn their own city down when it doesn’t go there way. Rinse and repeat.
tony-soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tony-soprano For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 11:56 PM   #1768
tony-soprano
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Lol, Petterson with tendonitis as an excuse for sucking.
tony-soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 02:28 AM   #1769
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I've said this many times before, you guys get more from the loss from one of the teams you hate than a Flames win.
At least we didn't burn down our own city, twice.
Old 05-24-2024, 06:26 AM   #1770
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Weird. I hate the Canucks and are upset they lost to the Oilers. Such is the life of a fan that supports one of the truly mediocre NHL organizations. Much like the Canucks, the Flames are a thoroughly mediocre NHL organization. Outside of the 80's for the Flames, neither organization has accomplished much outside of decades of mediocrity. I don't know how any Flames or Canucks fan can get overly excited about wins given the norm for each organization is failure. I fully expect the Flames to disappoint but yes I acknowledge it feels good to see the Canucks fail equally as misery loves company and our rivals on the West coast never disappoint outside of when we want them to beat the Oilers and then they still disappoint. Mediocre organization is always going to do mediocre things like gaslight a 3-2 series lead with back to back putrid performances.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 07:29 AM   #1771
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe don't paint the entire fanbase with that large brush.
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 07:53 AM   #1772
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can't really compare right now because of where the Flames are at.
There's little at play in a Flames win and a lot at stake for an Oilers win.
If the Flames are a contender, most of us are far more invested in the Flames results.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 10:05 AM   #1773
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Yeah, the Canucks fans are funny that way. On the other hand, some of them consider the Bruins or Blackhawks their rivals, but when you ask any Bruin or Chicago fan, they couldn't care any less about the Canucks. It's like the Canucks fans are just that annoying guy who wants so badly to be noticed, but people just kind of shrug them away.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 11:51 AM   #1774
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Yeah, the Canucks fans are funny that way. On the other hand, some of them consider the Bruins or Blackhawks their rivals, but when you ask any Bruin or Chicago fan, they couldn't care any less about the Canucks. It's like the Canucks fans are just that annoying guy who wants so badly to be noticed, but people just kind of shrug them away.
They don't have a true rival so can't feel how we do about Edmonton.

If there was a Victoria NHL team that won 5 cups in the 80s and fluked their way into 2 generational players, while Canucks fans had to grow up hearing about that all the time, it would be different.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:55 AM   #1775
Playfair
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony-soprano View Post
Considering BC only has one hockey team, you would think the fan base would be more rabid in the regular season. They only show up during the playoffs and burn their own city down when it doesn’t go there way. Rinse and repeat.
I have no dog in this fight, but is that what happened this year? I must have missed the riot.
Playfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 12:03 PM   #1776
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Vancouver does a much better job of promoting their team, engaging the fan base etc. The in game entertainment is also great whenever I have gone to see a Flames game at Rogers Arena. The content they put up online is way better, a lot more behind the scene stuff, a day in the life of (insert player, coach, trainer, team facility)

Player amenities at Rogers Arena seem to be much better as well as evidence by major renovations done over the course of the years. I recall the Dome underwent a reno in the locker rooms for the 2012 World Jr tournament and then we had the 2013 floods that resulted a in quick redo but not much else.

Vancouver may be no good but enough players, agents and other issues both with the team, organization and more highlight we are probably not very good either.

Z also probably doing a pot shot at the team since he wanted the big contract and wasn't going to get it here.
The Flame getting a new arena will make a huge difference. Vancouver has a vastly superior ability to engage the fans in the arena. They have all sorts of LEDs, a great sound system, platforms to hold entertainment from, etc...

When I go to the Saddledome it just feels like any sounds are bouncing off hte concrete and directly into the front lobe of my brain. The closest thing they have to fan engagement are those flares they set off, which also have the effect of filing the concrete garage, that is the Saddledome, with all sorts of fumes.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 12:06 PM   #1777
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Some of us, not all.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 12:11 PM   #1778
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
Maybe don't paint the entire fanbase with that large brush.
You're a robot. You're a robot that runs on schadenfreude. You're a part of the schadenfreude hate machine and we all know it. Hater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Some of us, not all.
I know you're lying because you're a regular poster here. All of us run on hate, spite and contempt. It's why I belong here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
At least we didn't burn down our own city, twice.
A riot joke? In this economy?

Some of you cling to old jokes the same way Oilers fans cling to old cups. Also, for the record it was three times. We also flipped our #### when Guns and Roses cancelled at the last second.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 05-24-2024 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2024, 12:12 PM   #1779
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vancouver sucks.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 01:06 PM   #1780
Lewis_D
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It's funny. The comments from Zadorov are the exact thing I've been hearing from canucks fans over most of my life living in BC. It's this weird thing they cling onto, probably because they have no other accomplishments in their sad history "Yeah well we're a bigger team with a bigger fanbase because we're the only team in the province, the Flames aren't even the biggest team in Alberta". Ok, cool? So you have a bigger population and only one hockey team, so you're basically admitting there's more passion for hockey in Alberta?

Also as someone who's lived in both BC (Victoria and Vancouver) and Calgary, it's clear that Calgary loves the Flames waaaaaay more than Vancouver loves the canucks. You could live in Vancouver for months and not even know they have a hockey team. Vancouver's the worst sporting city I think I've ever seen, bunch of entitled bandwagoners who don't even watch the sport and are just there for the party (riot) at the end. Hell, look at what's going on with the whitecaps right now, only chance they had at selling out a game was Messi coming to town and now that he's out people won't even show up, and they were they to support the away team! I wouldn't be surprised if they average around the same attendance %'s Cavalry FC.

That being said, of course there's lots of passionate Canucks fans around the province. I'm led to believe most of which are in places like the interior, cariboo, mid/north island and basically anywhere outside of the urban centres. But to echo what Trent said above - Vancouver just sucks.
Lewis_D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lewis_D For This Useful Post: