Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2024, 09:10 PM   #3421
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
That’s a bit much.

Given Hronek got Detroit 17, can’t see how the Flames would get 7 for Andersson.
They also got #43 in that deal which definitely if one combined those two picks they could move up 4-5 spots from 17 to 12 or 13.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 06:57 AM   #3422
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Eric D with a mailbag this morning on trade proposals. He’s suggesting Markstrom and a second to NJ for 10OA. I would do this without any hesitation.
TOfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 07:02 AM   #3423
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Eric D with a mailbag this morning on trade proposals. He’s suggesting Markstrom and a second to NJ for 10OA. I would do this without any hesitation.
If we are being honest I would probably do Markstrom + Van 1st for 10OA. If that's what it took.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 07:09 AM   #3424
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
If we are being honest I would probably do Markstrom + Van 1st for 10OA. If that's what it took.
I would do that too. Maybe the difference between a second and the first could be salary retention.
Old 05-24-2024, 09:17 AM   #3425
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Boy would this be nice.

Imagine getting one of the stud D prospects and one of stud forward prospects ranked in the top 10 and then still having #28 maybe get another solid prospect too.

Using Bob's rankings

#9 - Zayne Parekh
#10 - Berkly Catton
#28 - Charlie Elick

*drooooool*
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 09:21 AM   #3426
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I remember getting all excited last year about the picks we were going to get in the 1st by moving Hanifin, Toffoli, etc.

Its a lot harder to move into the top 10 than it used to be. Eric D maybe showing his age.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 09:44 AM   #3427
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I remember getting all excited last year about the picks we were going to get in the 1st by moving Hanifin, Toffoli, etc.

Its a lot harder to move into the top 10 than it used to be. Eric D maybe showing his age.
I’m not convinced these generalizations apply.

NJ needs a G. It’s holding them back and may have been the single biggest reason they missed the playoffs this year. If they believe Markstrom is tge best fit for them on the market, the question becomes is Markstrom worth the 10OA pick, to them. Each teams needs are different and they change year to year. There are many factors that go into teams making the moves that they do. I don’t think what others teams did in different years really holds much water, or at least not all the time.

Time for NJ to make a decision on how they address their biggest weakness and what is that worth.

Last edited by TOfan; 05-24-2024 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-24-2024, 10:37 AM   #3428
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t like any of the trades, aside from Johnson.

Zegras seems like a flight risk and I’m not sold he turns out to be much more than today’s Robbie Schremp.

Necas is a good player but at 26 seems too far outside the range Conroy himself said he was looking for.

Rossi leaves questioning ‘why’? Not sure I’d be too keen on giving up draft capital just yet on a player like this. I think unless there is significant upside (I would consider Johnson to be) then the Flames should be coupling these kind of acquisitions with top 5 picks, like Montreal has. 9OA isn’t quite there. Flames focus should be on acquiring another top 12-15 pick.
If you listen to Flames talk mailbag from a few days ago Steinberg and Gilbertson both confirm that Necas is in Conroy's targetted age and exactly the kind of player he will call about. Those two are very connected with the organization so I have no reason to doubt what they say.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 10:39 AM   #3429
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If you listen to Flames talk mailbag from a few days ago Steinberg and Gilbertson both confirm that Necas is in Conroy's targetted age and exactly the kind of player he will call about. Those two are very connected with the organization so I have no reason to doubt what they say.
Part of me wonders if it's something around Necas and Markstrom?

Given the Canes goaltending problems, and the fact that it's speculated the Flames were after Mercer from NJ, it seems to line up.

I'm not the most in favor of dealing picks for someone like Necas. But a package around Markstrom? Sign me up.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 11:00 AM   #3430
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

To be fair the article was fan trade suggestions and he was providing commentary on their likeliness.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:08 AM   #3431
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Conroy himself has stated on several occasions that he is looking at 23 and under players. Perhaps Necas is an exception to that, but Conroy has been fairly consistent about that age range publicly.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 11:39 AM   #3432
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I did hear that. Both were quite convinced the Flames would be very interested.

Bit of a head scratcher to me but, what do I know?
Old 05-24-2024, 11:40 AM   #3433
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Part of me wonders if it's something around Necas and Markstrom?

Given the Canes goaltending problems, and the fact that it's speculated the Flames were after Mercer from NJ, it seems to line up.

I'm not the most in favor of dealing picks for someone like Necas. But a package around Markstrom? Sign me up.
That would make sense. Also could create some leverage against NJ, and others.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:44 AM   #3434
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hanifin got an unprotected fist and Tofolli got a 30 goal scorer
Old 05-24-2024, 11:47 AM   #3435
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Tofolli got a player who turned out to be a 30 goal scorer. Huge difference.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 11:47 AM   #3436
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Last year at the draft.

Many here, not just me, expected Hanifin to get that 1st on draft day or right before it. And a #### ton were disappointed with the Toffoli return (not me, its been documented here, humble brag).

Point being, its hard to move up or get top 10-15 picks in the draft. Much harder than it used to be.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 12:13 PM   #3437
Iniggywetrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
https://flamesnation.ca/news/4-young...his-off-season

Flames Nation has trade ideas for 4 young centers
Call me crazy but if you can get any of those players with the late first round pick and a prospect, you do it.

I know the shine has come off of Zegras a bit but that skill is undeniable and a 23 year center is exactly what we need. Classic buy low scenario. 28th overall is no guarantee
Old 05-24-2024, 12:20 PM   #3438
konradical
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Necas is sick get him

Last edited by konradical; 05-24-2024 at 12:27 PM.
konradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 12:33 PM   #3439
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Necas will be 26, Conroy said 18-23. It's not even borderline in the age group he is 3 years out.

I can't see the team wasting any draft picks on a 26 year old winger, who may be a C.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 12:40 PM   #3440
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Necas will be 26, Conroy said 18-23. It's not even borderline in the age group he is 3 years out.

I can't see the team wasting any draft picks on a 26 year old winger, who may be a C.
Moving 28th OV for Necas would certainly not be "wasting" the draft pick that's for sure.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good