Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2024, 01:38 PM   #15401
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2 View Post
From the Dirty Dawg in the A&W bear costume to helicoptering around Ogden. The life and times of Locke. He was so eager not to become a lifer at Greyhound he actually became an accountant.
Hey man...I bummed around Haysboro for a while, did a five-stretch in Manchester Industrial for a bit before 'walking distance from the BBQ Joint (RIP) was becoming medically problematic...before hitting up The Hood.

I like Ogden. It has character.

And since its right by the CP Railyards there are so many old CP workers there and their stories stand right by my Greyhound stories. Working for CP Rail 'back in the day' was goddamned wild.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 01:40 PM   #15402
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hey man...I bummed around Haysboro for a while, did a five-stretch in Manchester Industrial for a bit before 'walking distance from the BBQ Joint (RIP) was becoming medically problematic...before hitting up The Hood.

I like Ogden. It has character.

And since its right by the CP Railyards there are so many old CP workers there and their stories stand right by my Greyhound stories. Working for CP Rail 'back in the day' was goddamned wild.
Did they fix that gigantic crater when exiting your parking lot yet. I had to buy a new car after misjudging that.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 01:46 PM   #15403
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Did they fix that gigantic crater when exiting your parking lot yet. I had to buy a new car after misjudging that.
They...have not.

The community is trying to raise funds to actually save that Crater as part of their cultural heritage along with the Ogden Block and Mount Ogden.

Not going to lie...it is getting a little out of hand around here.

But yeah. Watch out for the crater.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 02:38 PM   #15404
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
I'm sure that you can write that off though? It's part of your filing expenses, right?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 04:34 PM   #15405
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I'm sure that you can write that off though? It's part of your filing expenses, right?
Executor fees just went waaaay up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 09:42 PM   #15406
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I'll never use Airbnb again. I've got a tournament in Vancouver this weekend and had a condo in Richmond booked with a couple of other guys, only the host sends us a message that she's cancelling the booking tonight less than 24 hours before our supposed check-in time. Went through Airbnb support, they were useless, so then it was a mad scramble to find anything. Most hotels were booked solid, ones that weren't were $400-500 per night. Only affordable option I found were sleeping pods near the airport, so we'll see how that goes I guess. At least I'm travelling solo, couldn't imagine having to deal with this scenario if I had the family with me
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 09:47 PM   #15407
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I'll never use Airbnb again. I've got a tournament in Vancouver this weekend and had a condo in Richmond booked with a couple of other guys, only the host sends us a message that she's cancelling the booking tonight less than 24 hours before our supposed check-in time. Went through Airbnb support, they were useless, so then it was a mad scramble to find anything. Most hotels were booked solid, ones that weren't were $400-500 per night. Only affordable option I found were sleeping pods near the airport, so we'll see how that goes I guess. At least I'm travelling solo, couldn't imagine having to deal with this scenario if I had the family with me

I haven’t seen many places where AirBNB ended up being better than a traditional hotel. You should name and shame here though. That’s kind of a dick move canceling like that.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 09:54 PM   #15408
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I haven’t seen many places where AirBNB ended up being better than a traditional hotel. You should name and shame here though. That’s kind of a dick move canceling like that.
I wanted to leave a scathing review but you can't even find the property on the website anymore, something really scummy is going on. I grabbed this screenshot from my booking email

#### Jen
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 02:24 AM   #15409
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've had nothing but positive experiences with Airbnb over four or five trips, but there's always more risk than a hotel.
Old 05-24-2024, 09:02 AM   #15410
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
I've had nothing but positive experiences with Airbnb over four or five trips, but there's always more risk than a hotel.

I have been okay so far, except one time a few summers ago when I got a nice place for a good deal and then when I checked it a little bit before out arrival the price had jumped a lot and I was thinking he maybe underpriced it initially and was going to cancel on us, but alas he did not.

Anyway, my searches recently for accommodations for a family of 4 haven’t resulted in any great savings vs a hotel.

I guess I also prefer the corporatey-ness. I don’t feel quite so upset about accidentally flooding a hotel bathroom because I didn’t pull the shower curtain all the way than if it was someone’s own condo or whatever.
Old 05-24-2024, 09:06 AM   #15411
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Dear High School graduates,

I'm very happy that you're graduating, but taking up the entire Peace bridge for your pictures during rush hour and yelling/rushing/touching/pushing cyclists who are just trying to get home is not ok.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 09:20 AM   #15412
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post

I'm very happy that you're graduating, but taking up the entire Peace bridge for your pictures during rush hour and yelling/rushing/touching/pushing cyclists who are just trying to get home is not ok.
Ah Grad season, the time of year I don't use the Peace bridge.

Where is Fuzz and his thunder horn when we need him?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 09:29 AM   #15413
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post

Ha. Avoid it tomorrow, I have intel that some QE grads may be heading there to show off their fancy duds around there.
Old 05-24-2024, 09:30 AM   #15414
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I guess I need to make some special occasion trips down there now, just to put a ring in their ears!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:35 AM   #15415
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

We can all pretend it's the good old days before Druh Farrell rammed that Peace bridge down our throats and wasted our tax dollars and take the LRT bridge instead.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 09:42 AM   #15416
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post

I still don't understand why everyone stands on the bridge for pictures(particularly perpendicular to it). If you want the bridge in the picture, well, you have to not be on the bridge. Conveniently, you also won't be in everyone's way, and will have plenty of time for everyone to get setup in a nice pose with the bridge behind you.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 09:44 AM   #15417
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I still don't understand why everyone stands on the bridge for pictures(particularly perpendicular to it). If you want the bridge in the picture, well, you have to not be on the bridge. Conveniently, you also won't be in everyone's way, and will have plenty of time for everyone to get setup in a nice pose with the bridge behind you.
Education just isn't what it used to be...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 09:52 AM   #15418
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
We can all pretend it's the good old days before Druh Farrell rammed that Peace bridge down our throats and wasted our tax dollars and take the LRT bridge instead.
Or when Graham construction totally fataed up and didn't send someone to Europe to do the weld inspections and waited until it arrived in Canada to notice the poor work to save a few bucks.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 10:13 AM   #15419
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I have been okay so far, except one time a few summers ago when I got a nice place for a good deal and then when I checked it a little bit before out arrival the price had jumped a lot and I was thinking he maybe underpriced it initially and was going to cancel on us, but alas he did not.

Anyway, my searches recently for accommodations for a family of 4 haven’t resulted in any great savings vs a hotel.

I guess I also prefer the corporatey-ness. I don’t feel quite so upset about accidentally flooding a hotel bathroom because I didn’t pull the shower curtain all the way than if it was someone’s own condo or whatever.
I've found Air BnB is now only good when you want a larger place that can sleep more than a standard hotel room. Even then, I prefer VRBO for that sort of thing. All the admin, cleaning, surtax, etc fees don't really make it cheaper anymore and even when we use it for larger groups I do feel a bit guilty around the neighbourhood - I'm a clear import that no one really wants around much.
Old 05-24-2024, 10:23 AM   #15420
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Peace Bridge is a stupid ####ing name

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post: