Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2024, 01:36 PM   #21
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He clearly had mental illness, you guys make me sick with your primal bloodlust.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 01:40 PM   #22
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
He clearly had mental illness, you guys make me sick with your primal bloodlust.
So did Hitler. I'm sure in 1945 no one shed a tear for him.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 01:41 PM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
If they were doing it right they would have finished the job. Now we're paying to keep him alive.

The solace you can take here is that he's likely suffering quite a bit being kept alive, if he's conscious at all.
Welp. They're probably not in Jail because they were super good at stuff. Least of all 'Jobs.'

They gave it their best shot. The least we could do is get them a trophy. Like one of those ones you get from the bowling alley when its your birthday.

Its actually appropriate. "Congrats on surviving this long."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 04:23 PM   #24
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 05-23-2024, 04:24 PM   #25
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Hard to feel bad for the guy, but these internet threads are always silly. He didn’t behave like a human, and was certainly the bottom of the barrel in that regard but I don’t fully get the internet “I wish xxxxxx would happen to him”. Becomes a dual of silly wishes in these threads.
I mean, it's not that surprising. The guy killed ~50 women, ruined countless lives, is as pure of an unremorseful psychopath that exists, is a burden to the taxpayers to keep him alive, and would be out doing to this day if he wasn't caught. Damn right people are wishing him an ill fate. Offing him does all of us a favor. Not all life is precious.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 04:29 PM   #26
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I mean, it's not that surprising. The guy killed ~50 women, ruined countless lives, is as pure of an unremorseful psychopath that exists, is a burden to the taxpayers to keep him alive, and would be out doing to this day if he wasn't caught. Damn right people are wishing him an ill fate. Offing him does all of us a favor. Not all life is precious.
Yeah. I'm on board with that.

I'm not normally a vengeful person but sometimes? Maybe? A Prison guard?

"Oh no he's getting away!"

And we're all just better off.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 04:36 PM   #27
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah. I'm on board with that.

I'm not normally a vengeful person but sometimes? Maybe? A Prison guard?

"Oh no he's getting away!"

And we're all just better off.
My life has been rather boring and was thinking I could become quite famous for taking him out. How much you offering and can you make sure I get front page news. Thanks
Old 05-23-2024, 04:37 PM   #28
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Hard to feel bad for the guy, but these internet threads are always silly. He didn’t behave like a human, and was certainly the bottom of the barrel in that regard but I don’t fully get the internet “I wish xxxxxx would happen to him”. Becomes a dual of silly wishes in these threads.
If you think about it a little bit too much I feel like you’ll realize most threads are inherently silly and pointless.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 04:40 PM   #29
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
My life has been rather boring and was thinking I could become quite famous for taking him out. How much you offering and can you make sure I get front page news. Thanks
There is a lot of debate and I'm generally not a Proponent of Capital Punishment.

But who are we kidding here? The guy was caught red-handed and thats an insult to the red-handed.

He is never, ever, ever seeing the light of day as a free man ever again. So what are we doing here?

Is it more humane to keep him alive at all costs so that....what? He can die of natural causes?

Is it more torture/punishment to just keep him alive in a cage for as long as possible?

Because thats not very humane.

So what are we doing? I understand it can be a 'slippery slope' argument, but for the 'slam dunk' ones?

Bullets are cheap.

Old 05-23-2024, 04:50 PM   #30
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
There is a lot of debate and I'm generally not a Proponent of Capital Punishment.
From an ethical point of view, I am not against the death penalty. If someone commits heinous crimes, I am fine if they are killed. From a practical point of view though, I can't trust the legal system to apply it properly. Besides the obvious corruption in the legal system, there are a lot of nuances and subjective components. I'd put all 1st degree murders to death, but it isn't worth accidentally executing one innocent person.
Old 05-23-2024, 04:58 PM   #31
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
From an ethical point of view, I am not against the death penalty. If someone commits heinous crimes, I am fine if they are killed. From a practical point of view though, I can't trust the legal system to apply it properly. Besides the obvious corruption in the legal system, there are a lot of nuances and subjective components. I'd put all 1st degree murders to death, but it isn't worth accidentally executing one innocent person.
Hm. I'd agree with that.

Maybe we need something like a 'Designated Player Clause?'

No Capital Punishment...except sometimes. Because...its not like theres any doubt around Pickton. He's as guilty as they come.

Old 05-23-2024, 05:28 PM   #32
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
There are a few obvious cases where keeping someone alive serves no purpose. Pickton was pure evil. He showed no remorse for his actions and even bragged about them.

He murdered, raped, and tortured his victims, because he knew they were vulnerable members of society and he could get away with it. Pickton learned this pretty on. He was charged with attempted murder in the late 90s but got away with it after the crown decided the victims drug addiction would affect her credibility.

There's probably only a few people on this Earth who wouldn't be okay wasting Pickton.

That being said, when you let the state kill one person, you open the door to other killings. There's so much room for corruption there, that it's not a good idea. It goes from the police upwards. Even victims have motivations to lie. You definitely can't undo a death sentence, once it's been carried out.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 05:36 PM   #33
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
There are a few obvious cases where keeping someone alive serves no purpose. Pickton was pure evil. He showed no remorse for his actions and even bragged about them.

He murdered, raped, and tortured his victims, because he knew they were vulnerable members of society and he could get away with it. Pickton learned this pretty on. He was charged with attempted murder in the late 90s but got away with it after the crown decided the victims drug addiction would affect her credibility.

There's probably only a few people on this Earth who wouldn't be okay wasting Pickton.

That being said, when you let the state kill one person, you open the door to other killings. There's so much room for corruption there, that it's not a good idea. It goes from the police upwards. Even victims have motivations to lie. You definitely can't undo a death sentence, once it's been carried out.
Dr. Frankenstein begs to disagree!

Old 05-23-2024, 05:37 PM   #34
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
I think if my mother was one of the victims, I'd try and find out who assaulted him in prison and make a donation to their commissary account.
I mean it's great that the families of the 6 victims that he was convicted of murdering have some extra closure, but it doesn't do anything for the families of those who he hasn't been held accountable for yet.

It would have been more beneficial to everyone involved to have had at least a confession with respect to the other victims.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 05:46 PM   #35
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
To me, solitary confinement with one hour of exercise each day for the rest of your life is a better option. It would slowly but surely drive a person insane. Death is a quick and easy way out.
Old 05-31-2024, 01:58 PM   #36
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He's dead.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zary's-Mustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2024, 02:02 PM   #37
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rest in piss
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 02:05 PM   #38
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Link https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...dead-1.7221260
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 02:09 PM   #39
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I still like the idea from Escape from New York when your inprocessed into the prison.

You have a choice, serve your sentence, or select a painless execution.

Or better yet put a fork in their cell configured to fit into a power outlet.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2024, 02:10 PM   #40
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sad, but this basically farked over any families that had some slight faint hope of ever knowing if he was involved or what happened to their loved ones that went missing.

Like, at least not stab him in the head, so if there was some chance of death bed confessions you might get something.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote