Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2024, 11:02 AM   #3321
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting that Ritchie goes shortly after the vancouver pick.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:20 AM   #3322
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It would be so funny to have 2 goalies in the system with the same last name....haha

Yegorov
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HitterD For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 11:24 AM   #3323
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Interesting that Ritchie goes shortly after the vancouver pick.
In 20 years, I’ve yet to see any Ritchie justify his place on an NHL roster.

Please pick anyone else.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 11:37 AM   #3324
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
Athletic Wheeler and Pronman do a mock draft of the first two rounds based on what they think the NHL teams will do.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/550...dictions-2024/
Boo.

I don't like any of those picks given who's available at each pick.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 11:45 AM   #3325
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think those are good picks. Hard to argue with them. Sahlin-Wallenius could go anywhere between the vancouver pick and our second rounder. While we also get Brunicke at our 2nd and he could have gone as high as van's pick.

I prefer Nabokov to Yegorov but otherwise I would be happy with that outcome.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 12:28 PM   #3326
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hard to be unhappy with Iginla coming in, but if there was one guy I'd be hoping the flames could get their hands on in that second tier between 5-10 it's Lindstrom. For me the best teams are built around big two way centremen and very little chance of winning a cup without that piece, which is impossible to add in a trade most of the time.

Would be amazing to see the Flames trade up for a change to grab a guy instead of the trading down for a mediocre pick move we've seen so many times - but you've gotta imagine the price to swap picks with Montreal, or even Utah or Ottawa if he makes it past the Habs would be very very steep, as if those teams aren't locked in on Lindstrom they probably like one of those two dmen Parekh or Buium who seen very likely to go 5-8 and be gone at 9.

Probably the only hope of those teams moving a pick to us for a price less than highway robbery is if someone reaches for Eiserman, Catton, Iginla or Yakemchuk earlier than expected and they become confident they can get a guy they like at 9.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 12:36 PM   #3327
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Hard to be unhappy with Iginla coming in, but if there was one guy I'd be hoping the flames could get their hands on in that second tier between 5-10 it's Lindstrom. For me the best teams are built around big two way centremen and very little chance of winning a cup without that piece, which is impossible to add in a trade most of the time.

Would be amazing to see the Flames trade up for a change to grab a guy instead of the trading down for a mediocre pick move we've seen so many times - but you've gotta imagine the price to swap picks with Montreal, or even Utah or Ottawa if he makes it past the Habs would be very very steep, as if those teams aren't locked in on Lindstrom they probably like one of those two dmen Parekh or Buium who seen very likely to go 5-8 and be gone at 9.

Probably the only hope of those teams moving a pick to us for a price less than highway robbery is if someone reaches for Eiserman, Catton, Iginla or Yakemchuk earlier than expected and they become confident they can get a guy they like at 9.
Not sure how catton or eiserman are reaches as most mocks have had then top ten all year?
And as far as yakemchuk would take him over tij all day every day.
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 12:51 PM   #3328
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
Not sure how catton or eiserman are reaches as most mocks have had then top ten all year?
Am sure there are guys out there ranking those guys higher and with different takes, but it seems to me like most mocks increasingly have :

Celebrini-Silayev-Levshunov-Demidov-Dickinson-Lindstrom-Parekh-Buium

as the top 8, though not consistently in that order
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 01:04 PM   #3329
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Am sure there are guys out there ranking those guys higher and with different takes, but it seems to me like most mocks increasingly have :

Catton has been in the mix as well. I wouldn't be unhappy with the Iginla pick but I would rather have Catton.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 01:07 PM   #3330
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
With Eiserman, I think he has fallen because of legitimate criticisms about his overall game, combined with guys like Parekh, Buium, and Iginla just progressing at a great pace throughout the year.

With Catton, I suspect it's just that more people seem to be projecting him as a winger now at the NHL and the added value of him being a center has diminished. Teams all in on a center might see Helenius or Hage as a better target.

Personally, I think it's foolish most of the time to fixate too much on position, but I can see why it makes sense in some cases. Like if you have a stockpile of blue chip prospects at other positions already, or if it is a tie breaker.

I think Catton at #9 would be a great pick, but it all depends on who else is still there at that point. Yakemchuk is really intriguing as well. Honestly, if Catton, Iginla, and Yakemchuk are all on the table at #9, I don't think you can go wrong (unless by some fluke Demidov, Parekh, or Buium are also still there).
Old 05-22-2024, 01:13 PM   #3331
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

My averaging of 19 rankings has Catton in there ahead of Parekh

Macklin Celebrini
Ivan Demidov
Artyom Levshunov
Sam Dickinson
Cayden Lindstrom
Berkly Catton
Zeev Buium
Anton Silayev
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 01:19 PM   #3332
YyjFlames
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default There is no list!

There is no list this year.

Button has Iginla and Helenius in his new top 5. Catton at 14 and Silayev at 16.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/craig-s-list-...five-1.2124326
YyjFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YyjFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 01:23 PM   #3333
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Dickinson & Lindstrom available to the Flames at 9? Thats a great problem to have!
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 01:24 PM   #3334
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eiserman has one of the best releases I’ve ever seen on a junior aged player- it’s beautiful. I have no doubt that he’s going to score goals in the NHL. But what if his goal scoring doesn’t translate as well as expected? He doesn’t have much of a playmaking game, and his defensive game is deficient. You will have spent a top-10 pick on a 30-goal scorer who has trouble doing anything else. That’s my big issue.

The other thing is that I wonder about his attitude, and how much of a team player he truly is. At the U-18’s, a reporter asked about a certain play, and he uttered something to the effect of, “I just did what Cole Eiserman does, and scored a goal.” Trevor Zegras is in a ton of trade rumours because of these concerns allegedly, and I see Eiserman the same way. He loves scoring goals, but he was so much more excited when he scored the goal that broke Caufield’s record, and celebrated a little too exuberantly. I think Eiserman likes scoring goals for Eiserman, and not the team. Just my take.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 01:34 PM   #3335
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Eiserman has one of the best releases I’ve ever seen on a junior aged player- it’s beautiful. I have no doubt that he’s going to score goals in the NHL. But what if his goal scoring doesn’t translate as well as expected? He doesn’t have much of a playmaking game, and his defensive game is deficient. You will have spent a top-10 pick on a 30-goal scorer who has trouble doing anything else. That’s my big issue.

The other thing is that I wonder about his attitude, and how much of a team player he truly is. At the U-18’s, a reporter asked about a certain play, and he uttered something to the effect of, “I just did what Cole Eiserman does, and scored a goal.” Trevor Zegras is in a ton of trade rumours because of these concerns allegedly, and I see Eiserman the same way. He loves scoring goals, but he was so much more excited when he scored the goal that broke Caufield’s record, and celebrated a little too exuberantly. I think Eiserman likes scoring goals for Eiserman, and not the team. Just my take.
He seems to celebrate a lot of goals like as if he just won the Stanley Cup in game 7 overtime. I'm not saying celebrating is bad, or showing personality is bad, but it does make me question his attitude a bit.
Old 05-22-2024, 01:36 PM   #3336
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I try to avoid players who refer to themselves in the 3rd person at any time. Just doesn't jive. Jordan didn't do it, Gretzky didn't do it.

Only acceptable players to bring in who did refer to themselves in the 3rd person? Bo Jackson and Deon Sanders.
Old 05-22-2024, 01:39 PM   #3337
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
He seems to celebrate a lot of goals like as if he just won the Stanley Cup in game 7 overtime. I'm not saying celebrating is bad, or showing personality is bad, but it does make me question his attitude a bit.
Exactly, go ahead and celebrate when you score, but he really made it the Cole Eiserman show when he scored the record-breaker. Could be me, but it rubbed me the wrong way.

I was impressed by how physical he was though, and he threw some big hits- even sent a kid to the locker room with a legal hit.
Old 05-22-2024, 01:40 PM   #3338
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I try to avoid players who refer to themselves in the 3rd person at any time. Just doesn't jive. Jordan didn't do it, Gretzky didn't do it.

Only acceptable players to bring in who did refer to themselves in the 3rd person? Bo Jackson and Deon Sanders.
1000%.

Bo is one of my favourite athletes of all time…
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 01:45 PM   #3339
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YyjFlames View Post
There is no list this year.

Button has Iginla and Helenius in his new top 5. Catton at 14 and Silayev at 16.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/craig-s-list-...five-1.2124326
That there folks is why Craig Button will never get another sniff of the NHL as a scout.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 01:49 PM   #3340
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be the happiest fan ever if Cayden Lindstrom drops into the Flames lap. I predict if that does happen the only reason the Flames wouldn't be blind sprinting up to the podium to make the pick is because they had to quickly dig out the Jersey with his name on it from the bottom of the bin because it wasn't ready as they thought he'd be long gone.

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft