Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2024, 09:25 AM   #1401
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Here we go again.
It seems to be affecting the same general area of the city, makes me wonder it's the same crew going after the copper and having absolutely no idea what they're doing.

Honestly, the internet being out..again...is a slight annoyance to me and that's it - the worst part is I was about five minutes into the final X-Men 97 episode last night, and was really into it!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 02:35 AM   #1402
curves2000
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was hoping for some assistance from those in the know. My parents have been with Shaw/Rogers now forever. Contract was up for renewal in early 2024 at a rate of $182 for 1000 GB internet and pretty much all the cable channels. 4 old school HD Boxes that they own and don't want to change. They like the old school, non internet based TV/UI etc. It works and they are used to it while being reliable.

Long story short, spoke with sales rep a while back, prices are up etc blah blah blah. $200+ tax and no need to upgrade boxes. I was busy at the time and didn't have a chance to really discuss in greater detail, promised to follow up and made sure to get contact number. No follow up at all, bill skyrockets to $240, I call in and discuss options. No craps given but am told I can get back to approx $200 but there is a requirement that I upgrade the boxes, which I don't to do. I don't need the tech support hassle with my parents and Rogers definitely does not want it either.

Anybody have any success keeping existing equipment and having a decent rate? I totally understand the newer equipment has all the benefits of a better UI and more but trust me when I say, old is gold in my household. If it works, leave it as is.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 07:34 AM   #1403
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cut the internet back? Why do they need that kind of speed? What do they do, check Facebook memes and forward chain emails?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 11:22 AM   #1404
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I was hoping for some assistance from those in the know. My parents have been with Shaw/Rogers now forever. Contract was up for renewal in early 2024 at a rate of $182 for 1000 GB internet and pretty much all the cable channels. 4 old school HD Boxes that they own and don't want to change. They like the old school, non internet based TV/UI etc. It works and they are used to it while being reliable.

Long story short, spoke with sales rep a while back, prices are up etc blah blah blah. $200+ tax and no need to upgrade boxes. I was busy at the time and didn't have a chance to really discuss in greater detail, promised to follow up and made sure to get contact number. No follow up at all, bill skyrockets to $240, I call in and discuss options. No craps given but am told I can get back to approx $200 but there is a requirement that I upgrade the boxes, which I don't to do. I don't need the tech support hassle with my parents and Rogers definitely does not want it either.

Anybody have any success keeping existing equipment and having a decent rate? I totally understand the newer equipment has all the benefits of a better UI and more but trust me when I say, old is gold in my household. If it works, leave it as is.
Good luck. It's rare for them to offer you a good deal if you're on legacy equipment or even personal equipment. They don't like that. They'd rather give you a really good deal on the new stuff they know how to manage easily vs some other equipment they aren't sure of.

I spoke to a tech about this a few years ago regarding the modem. He said sooner or later Shaw was going to be insistent on upgrading the modem (XB6 to XB7 I think?) but he said it was not purely for improved speeds and stability, but those features don't hurt. Reading between the lines and dealing with Shaw/Rogers, I think there's something in those newer modems that allow them more access when they remote in to monitor their statuses and push key updates and stuff like that. I think they were attempting to improve efficiencies by having less variations of hardware to have to deal with or something.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2024, 02:35 PM   #1405
curves2000
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Cut the internet back? Why do they need that kind of speed? What do they do, check Facebook memes and forward chain emails?

Perhaps I got the internet package wrong but the internet usage for them is right in line the package. They could potentially trim down for $5 a month. They are on the most popular package. Internet use is straight web surfing, streaming and email. No big downloads or heavy work related things.
Old 07-06-2024, 07:41 PM   #1406
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not just change to a cheaper plan with slower data rates, like the Internet 250 plan, if they’re not doing any streaming.

https://www.shaw.ca/bundles/plans
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 07:35 PM   #1407
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don’t know what kind of grandparents need 1000 down, they must be still torrenting movies and selling them on eBay.

You can easily get them down to 250/300 internet plan and save a boat load of money.
I pay $120/ month for all channels/packages along with Disney, crave and Netflix with 3 boxes, 2 wifi extenders and 300 down inet.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 07:44 PM   #1408
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

+1 to the “that’s too much internet for elders.”

I have 300 down/100 up, and that’s plenty for my family of 3. I also have 3 co-workers VPN-ing in to control their computers (post-Covid band-aid relocation of after office closure), and I regularly host webinars for work. Wife and kid can be streaming 4K/gaming even as work stuff is happening, and I have never once needed or wished for any faster internet.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 01:21 PM   #1409
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
I don’t know what kind of grandparents need 1000 down, they must be still torrenting movies and selling them on eBay.

You can easily get them down to 250/300 internet plan and save a boat load of money.
I pay $120/ month for all channels/packages along with Disney, crave and Netflix with 3 boxes, 2 wifi extenders and 300 down inet.
Ha my neighbor's FIL retired and became obsessed with downloading movies and set up a Plex server- updated almost daily! you never know what people take up after retirement!
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2024, 02:22 PM   #1410
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
Ha my neighbor's FIL retired and became obsessed with downloading movies and set up a Plex server- updated almost daily! you never know what people take up after retirement!
Guess he got a little too old to be downloading cars.

Last edited by Fuzz; 07-08-2024 at 02:24 PM.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2024, 02:24 PM   #1411
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shaw's really been screwing the pooch around here lately, anyone heard of 'Moby for Business?'

They've been calling me, their prices seem reasonable, but I'm hesitant to go with an unknown provider.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 12:27 PM   #1412
curves2000
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Shaw's really been screwing the pooch around here lately, anyone heard of 'Moby for Business?'

They've been calling me, their prices seem reasonable, but I'm hesitant to go with an unknown provider.
I would love to know more about the prices!! The offer I am getting as an existing client with no equipment upgrade is approx $45+ a month more than Telus and that doesn't factor in a one time $250 credit.
Old 07-09-2024, 01:38 PM   #1413
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I would love to know more about the prices!! The offer I am getting as an existing client with no equipment upgrade is approx $45+ a month more than Telus and that doesn't factor in a one time $250 credit.
I'm in the same boat. Current Shaw client, they're offering me an increase to renew. For newer clients, the same package is $50 less.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 02:14 PM   #1414
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

My 2-year term is up in November. I am not looking forward to the "don't make me cancel" song and dance. I'm one of the few people who still sees value in cable TV (Flames, soccer like Euros, etc.) but even I'm thinking that I might make good on my threat to fully cut the cable cord and go with an independent ISP (using Shaw's infrastructure, ironically).

As I get older, I find myself less interested in spending the time to watch sports (my main reason for having cable). And then the Euros happen and I'm watching on my patio as we speak, or it is -20 outside and I'm watching the Flames in the basement with a whisky in my hand. But maybe the time has come to rip the band-aid off because I might simply be addicted to the ritual of watching sports more than anything else.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 04:34 PM   #1415
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thank goodness for this thread, I just checked and my renewal with Telus is up this month. I was going to switch back to Shaw but their 1gb is 105$/2 years and Telus is offering me 75$ for 1gb for 2 years.

I doubt I'll beat 75$ any time soon so will sign up for that. Also I hate Rogers.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 06:33 PM   #1416
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have some older Shaw TV equipment that I'm pretty sure is giving up the ghost. The main box is endlessly rebooting. The main box and the portals all connect via coaxial. Looking at their current hardware, it appears the only options now are the tv boxes that all connect via WiFi? Is this accurate? I've always had my Shaw modem in bridged mode and really don't like the idea of having to swap hardware to new stuff that will add to the already saturated WiFi in my condo complex. Is there any way around this or are my hands basically tied here?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 06:58 PM   #1417
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I have some older Shaw TV equipment that I'm pretty sure is giving up the ghost. The main box is endlessly rebooting. The main box and the portals all connect via coaxial. Looking at their current hardware, it appears the only options now are the tv boxes that all connect via WiFi? Is this accurate? I've always had my Shaw modem in bridged mode and really don't like the idea of having to swap hardware to new stuff that will add to the already saturated WiFi in my condo complex. Is there any way around this or are my hands basically tied here?
Both the x one and xi6 tv boxes can be hooked up via ethernet.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2024, 08:28 PM   #1418
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
Both the x one and xi6 tv boxes can be hooked up via ethernet.

Well, good to know for down the road but I should have mentioned this is an older condo and the only place I can hardwire is the basement. No ethernet jacks anywhere else.

That begs the question though, if one did have ports in the rooms the TVs are in, can I plug them into my own switches or would they need to be run back to ports on the modem?

That raises even more issues now that I think of it. I keep my modem in the basement as that's where the coax comes in, if these new set top boxes need to connect to WiFi and likely the modem and not my Unifi AP's, I'm gonna have a hard time getting a good single to my TV on the top floor.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 07-11-2024 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-11-2024, 08:52 PM   #1419
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, I've stepped back from the ledge a bit. Might have gotten myself a bit worked up there. Pretty sure I can still bridge the modem and have the TV boxes run off existing WiFi.
Old 07-11-2024, 11:32 PM   #1420
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Ok, I've stepped back from the ledge a bit. Might have gotten myself a bit worked up there. Pretty sure I can still bridge the modem and have the TV boxes run off existing WiFi.
Yes, I bridged my Shaw XB7 and have the XiOnes connect to my Asus router Wi-Fi. I do find it funny that the XiOne supports WiFi6 but still only has a 100 Mbps Ethernet port (like many consumer electronic devices).
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote