Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2024, 09:01 PM   #7861
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone tried this game? I like hockey (duh) and I like rogue likes. Could be decent. Thoughts?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1.../Tape_to_Tape/
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 09:10 PM   #7862
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hah! Never heard of it but it looks awesome. Added it to my wishlist
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2024, 11:20 PM   #7863
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Anyone tried this game? I like hockey (duh) and I like rogue likes. Could be decent. Thoughts?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1.../Tape_to_Tape/
I have it, the actual hockey gameplay is brilliant fun, one of the better arcade style hockey games I’ve played. The roguelike elements fall a bit flat though, it’s just not that fun and the upgrades don’t really feel like they do anything.

It’s a shame cause if it was just a traditional hockey game with the same gameplay and has franchise mode / online matches I’d play the heck out of it. They have a season mode in their roadmap somewhere.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 09:10 AM   #7864
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 02:51 PM   #7865
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I downloaded Enter the Gungeon a few days ago on recommendation from a friend. Pro: Love the cute pixel art style and the gameplay is fun. Con: It's brutally hard and there is extremely limited progression (i.e. can't make your guns stronger, can't easily get extra health etc.). I want to like the game but I think it's too hard for me. For example, to get more health, you need to be able to no-hit the boss on each level which is pretty much impossible for me.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 03:32 PM   #7866
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

That's where cheats or trainers come in! Use something like WeMod to make the game easier. There's no way I would have got as far as I did in Elden Ring without it (or at least not without a whole lot more time played).
Old 05-23-2024, 07:10 PM   #7867
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not going to lie, "Death to Chronos!" is a pretty dope warcry and greeting.
Old 05-24-2024, 08:57 AM   #7868
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Nooo I finally just started NieR: Automata.. if I get Hades ][ now I won't ever finish NieR.

I'll just tell myself the longer I wait the more complete it will be. Cmon brain help me out here.
And it doesn't matter because Ghosts of Tsushima came out on PC and holy crap is it good, this'll keep me busy for a while.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 09:27 AM   #7869
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And it doesn't matter because Ghosts of Tsushima came out on PC and holy crap is it good, this'll keep me busy for a while.
Enjoy! Wicked game, loved the combat and world story. I wanted to link a combat gif but can't for potential spoilers.
Old 05-27-2024, 10:12 AM   #7870
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Ghost is one of those games I'm jealous of anybody playing for the first time.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 11:20 AM   #7871
photon

Exp:

It's pretty rare to play a game where I actually listen to all the dialog, most of the time I just read it and skip past the voice acting.. I'm not even sure if they have a skip feature, I haven't felt the desire to do so once.

Probably my only thing I'd say that doesn't have my gushing enthusiastic approval so far is the skills and tools in context of combat. And maybe this changes later in the game, but I don't really find a need for the sticky bombs or smoke bombs or any of that. Parrying is really powerful and most of the time I can pretty easily just go initiate a standoff and kill everyone.

If I go with stealth or try to pick everyone off with arrows it's more a choice for variety than feeling the need. There's only been a couple of times where I aggro'd a whole big camp that a smokebomb came in handy. I guess I could turn up the difficulty, but TBH I'm enjoying feeling like a powerful skilled samurai rather than being a ronin in the grass.

But that's REALLY digging for something to comment on.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 11:44 AM   #7872
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

At first, I did a lot of stealth clearing camps but realized later on that you got the tools to just be a crazy insane power god of war. And you can adjust the difficulty to keep things on a razor's edge. So satisfying but not easy or mindless at all.

Again, not sure if you want to see the combat that you can push into you can search for "#GhostOfTsushima much118x" or "GhostOfTsushima SunhiLegend" on twitter.

I'll keep it spoilered just in case.

EDIT: And I need to go back for a Kurosawa mode cinematic run.
Old 05-27-2024, 12:29 PM   #7873
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ghost is amazing, played it 3 times already. And the DLC is great and keeps things fresh with a new approach/angle too.

My only recommendation if you WANT to be busy with it for a while is to do all the side stuff / collectibles. My only knock on that game is it's a bit short, so stretch it out doing everything as much as you can.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 02:09 PM   #7874
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

So yeah Hades II is pretty darn playable and fun. I'm 30ish hours into it and I'm sure there will be some stuff that they'll add in that is obvious like
Spoiler!
and the odd character art that is missing with placeholders.

Still, well worth the cost already for me.

Spoiler!

Last edited by chemgear; 05-27-2024 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-27-2024, 04:44 PM   #7875
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

What's this Ghosts of Shakshuka about? What sets it apart from typical AAA games?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 05:16 PM   #7876
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
What's this Ghosts of Shakshuka about? What sets it apart from typical AAA games?
?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 10:17 PM   #7877
photon

Exp:

I don't think there's anything about it that hasn't been done before, it's just really excellent at what it does. The characters make me care about them, the writing is good, the voice acting is great, it oozes style, the graphics are great (and sometimes truly beautiful).

They really put in effort into detail. The various petting animations for foxes. The different end-of-mission bits with your horse. Tons of small stuff is done so well. I really like how it guides you to your chosen waypoint.. it doesn't just put a marker on a compass or beam of light in the sky to break your immersion, the wind blows in the direction of your destination, and you can hit a key to gust up the wind to see more clearly.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 10:55 PM   #7878
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think there's anything about it that hasn't been done before, it's just really excellent at what it does. The characters make me care about them, the writing is good, the voice acting is great, it oozes style, the graphics are great (and sometimes truly beautiful).

They really put in effort into detail. The various petting animations for foxes. The different end-of-mission bits with your horse. Tons of small stuff is done so well. I really like how it guides you to your chosen waypoint.. it doesn't just put a marker on a compass or beam of light in the sky to break your immersion, the wind blows in the direction of your destination, and you can hit a key to gust up the wind to see more clearly.
You had me at petting foxes. I'll probably give it a try since it's so highly talked about. I'm all about indie and retro games lately though, and I'm really having a great time.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 08:46 AM   #7879
photon

Exp:

The next Call of Duty is coming to Game Pass.

Not sure how that'll work out for them overall, but in my case I rarely purchase the CoD games since I'm only interested in the single player part and the value of them for that has been terrible; I'm not paying $80 or whatever for a <10 hour single player experience.

Even on sale it's not worth it.. I got a recent Black Ops on sale and even then I felt ripped off.

But signing up for Game Pass for a bit to play that and a few other games on Game Pass will get them $$ from me they wouldn't have previously.
Old 05-28-2024, 09:12 AM   #7880
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last COD I bought was WW2.

I don't buy them because Activision tries to charge full price for a game even a decade old and even when they're on sale they're still too much.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote