Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2024, 03:08 PM   #141
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This goes back aways, but Ronnie Stern's kid and my kid played hockey when they were 10 or 12. An absolutely great guy. He wasn't a coach but would help out and never made a big deal he was in the show.

I get that he wasn't a big star, but he was a really genuine dude.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 03:52 PM   #142
NB_Flamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
I once saw Phaneuf and his wife yelling at each other over spending money on a toque for a Halloween costume in a Walmart. It was bizarre.

I saw Phaneuf and Elisha at a restaurant on PEI about 10 years ago.

I didn't approach them.

He's apparently not well liked on PEI either.
NB_Flamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 04:39 PM   #143
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckSlap View Post
That’s. crazy, I met Fleury around few times in 2012-2015 and he was really cool! Signed my book and was really polite. Even when he was just sending mail at the post office in Cranston. I know how people feel about him now, but he was nice to me.
He was really nice to me when I was a young guy working in a grocery store. His wife at the time and him would come in. She was kinda quiet.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LIP MAN For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 05:24 PM   #144
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only hockey player that I've disliked out of the hundred or so I've encountered was Adam Fox.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 05:31 PM   #145
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
The only hockey player that I've disliked out of the hundred or so I've encountered was Adam Fox.
Who?
Old 05-17-2024, 05:48 PM   #146
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dion seemed like a different person at the Kipper ceremony.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 05:56 PM   #147
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I heard from a few people that Fuhr was something of a jerk to younger fans. Maybe they mistook his energy or something.
I peed in a urinal next to Fuhr at the Mandalay Bay hotel in Vegas about 10 years ago. I waited outside for a few minutes to maybe get a picture, but I wisely decided that would look gross and weird. After he emerged, he joined up with a huge entourage that included Johnny Damon, of all people.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 08:12 PM   #148
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

My son did a flames alumni summer hockey camp a couple of years ago, Brouwer, Glencross and Warrener were on the ice. All were great with the kids, especially Glencross. Warrener a little quieter and less engaged during the sessions, but all were pretty good with the kids.

Heard through a friend (that seems to know have some flames connections) that Kadri can be/is a pr*ck, but I don't know the circumstances. Again, you encounter somebody on a bad day and it's pretty anecdotal.
3rd liner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3rd liner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 08:29 PM   #149
Gemnoble
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The personal interactions I've had with the players have all been solid. Polite, occasionally quiet, always thankful and appreciative of fans.

I've only heard of one negative interaction and that was second hand. An old coworker was told by a friend of his who worked in the Dome that Monahan was kind of a dick in one instance and Gaudreau, who was nearby was surprised at the behaviour.

So possibly a very bad day?
Gemnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 03:17 PM   #150
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Who?

Tom Fox
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan403 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2024, 07:42 PM   #151
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

My intern is friends with Shantz's son...and I'm doing my best to bring him back! The plan is in motion!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 07:54 PM   #152
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Dion seemed like a different person at the Kipper ceremony.
I mean he could have grown up in the last 10, 15, 20 years. Seems likely.
rohara66 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2024, 08:16 PM   #153
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Biggest jerk. Dion

Best line? Don Cherry.

If my aunt had nuts she would’ve been my uncle.

Lol
Old 05-20-2024, 09:02 PM   #154
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Colin Patterson and Perry Berezan are good ambassadors for the team also

Old 05-20-2024, 09:10 PM   #155
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
When I was a kid Vernon held up the team bus to give me an autograph, the day after winning the cup. Surprised to see his name here although I know he was a boozer back in the day.
Sad to say my experience was the opposite.
It was some kind of fan day at the Saddledome and after Vernon signed my souvenir mini-stick I asked if he would also sign one for my little brother. Mike barked "one autograph only" and marched off.

Lest you think that perhaps he was worried that I was just a guy hoping to profit off his signature, I was seven and was holding my little brother's hand because he was three and could barely talk! *Shrug*
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 10:33 PM   #156
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I've seen a few hockey players out and about but I've met very few. Never had a bad experience. Whatever and whoever he is now, Fleury was super cordial at a book signing in Red Deer during his attempted comeback.

I shared this story a few years ago when the writing was on the wall for Micheal Ferland's career:
Quote:
As I wandered over I saw the Flames players standing in their suits, watching the game, joking around. All except one. Ferland was talking to a few kids who had wandered over. It was charming in how he introduced himself as "I'm Micheal, what's your names?", never talked about being a player or a big deal, and just chatted hockey and school with them.

I don't remember what happened that game, but that always stuck with me. That's the kind of person he was starting out, and I always felt good hearing those stories throughout his career. I am fully in the boat rooting for Ferland to get healthy and be as happy as he's made others in his life.

Best wishes, Micheal.
Can confirm your Ferland story. That was 100% my kids he was chatting with that day.

I can add a little bit of the conversation that has always made me laugh...Gaudreau was one of the other players over there and so I asked my kids if they wanted to walk over to meet him as well. This was pretty much exactly how it went:

Me: Hey [kids] that's another player over there - Johnny Gaudreau - do you want to meet him and say hi as well?

Son: Nah, I'm good. I like Micheal.

Daughter: Mmmmmm...let's just stay here thanks.

Me: [to Ferland] That might not happen to you very often...haha better enjoy it!

Ferland: [Laughing] Give me high fives you guys! That Johnny guy isn't very good anyway [more laughing].

My kids would later meet most of the team at different times, including Gaudreau when he was a star, and they wanted autographs and photos of course...but they never liked anyone as much as they liked Ferly.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 09:54 AM   #157
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I heard from a few people that Fuhr was something of a jerk to younger fans. Maybe they mistook his energy or something.
My wife met several Oilers in the late 90s early 2000s. Fuhr, an alumni at that time, was one of them that she got to meet. She found him to be cold and rude.

My favorite comment of hers was about Ryan Smyth. She thought he was the dumbest jock she ever did meet. Not only did he match the stereotype but he redefined it on a new level.

To keep it closer to Flames related, she also met Frank Musil (but he was an Oiler at that time). He was cordial but quiet.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:55 AM   #158
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Jordan Leopold and I shared a chuckle when I worked at Superstore because we shared the same first name.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 10:00 AM   #159
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Have had good interactions with all the ones ive run into. Tim Hunter, Iginla, Vernon, Bertuzzi and Brian Skrudland (the convo I had with him at a bank was hilarious, joking about money)
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 11:36 AM   #160
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
My wife met several Oilers in the late 90s early 2000s. Fuhr, an alumni at that time, was one of them that she got to meet. She found him to be cold and rude.

My favorite comment of hers was about Ryan Smyth. She thought he was the dumbest jock she ever did meet. Not only did he match the stereotype but he redefined it on a new level.

To keep it closer to Flames related, she also met Frank Musil (but he was an Oiler at that time). He was cordial but quiet.
I mean, who cries at leaving Edmonton?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good