Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2024, 01:54 PM   #15261
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Thoughts on being told to put a larger backpack under the seat in front of you instead of the overhead bin(only bag you brought) in order to accommodate other people’s bags (who often brought 2 bags)?

Is it fair to ask the person to have a super cramped flight by barely being able to jam the bag under the seat in front of them when it’s it’s their only bag?

I don’t think it is.
No, it's not fair. I wouldn't be happy but I'd do it.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 01:56 PM   #15262
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Why are phone number pads and calculator number pads not the same.
For keyboards/calculator the 1, 2, 3 is on the bottom. For phones the 1, 2, 3 is at the top.
Why?
Could we not have gotten our #### together enough to get that right? Who was the idiot that decided they should be different.
https://thenextweb.com/news/heres-wh...umeric-keypads

TLDR;
Blame AT&T focus group.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 01:59 PM   #15263
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thoughts on being told to put a larger backpack under the seat in front of you instead of the overhead bin(only bag you brought) in order to accommodate other people’s bags (who often brought 2 bags)?

Is it fair to ask the person to have a super cramped flight by barely being able to jam the bag under the seat in front of them when it’s it’s their only bag?

I don’t think it is.

Was it a request or more of a demand?

If you were feeling sassy, you could ask if you could put it in front of the seat of one of the people who brought too many bags.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 02:01 PM   #15264
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Was it a request or more of a demand?

If you were feeling sassy, you could ask if you could put it in front of the seat of one of the people who brought too many bags.
Know someone it happened to recently and it got me thinking.

If it happened to me I would politely try declining to the FA and explaining why.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 02:03 PM   #15265
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thoughts on being told to put a larger backpack under the seat in front of you instead of the overhead bin(only bag you brought) in order to accommodate other people’s bags (who often brought 2 bags) on a plane?

I don’t think it is.
Divided thoughts. There's only so much overhead space so if a bag does not need to go up there (ie backpack) then under the seat seems reasonable. If the backpack is that large that it won't fit under a seat then it can go up. On the other hand if it's the only carry on you have then why not put it up top?

The ULCC's (many of them anyway) differentiate between underseat and overhead bags by charging more for overhead carry on bags, by that definition one could argue if it's small enough to fit under the seat then that's where it belongs.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 02:06 PM   #15266
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The dave portnoy pizza review copycats on social media. So annoying, there's one guy from calgary that's gotten small success from doing it. Basically mimics him. Looks behind him while opening box "I'm here at.....plaaaaace X in Caaaaalgary alberta".

They all all have off brand catchphrases similar to "one bite everyone knows the rules". All use the same point scoring system. So annoying
I'm glad I have no idea what any of this means, and plan on keeping it that way.
Old 05-17-2024, 02:09 PM   #15267
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Know someone it happened to recently and it got me thinking.

If it happened to me I would politely try declining to the FA and explaining why.

I think it’s complicated when people are paying for bags or extra bags. Who gets priority?

Airlines have created this mess. I don’t see this problem whenever I travel intentional and the checked bags are free. I just take what I absolutely need in a small backpack and other stuff can get checked. I haven’t had a bag get lost, and I am not in a massive rush once I get off the plane, so I am fine with that. It does mean that if I am travelling with 3 other family members, there is extra room in overhead for other people.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 04:09 PM   #15268
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple of years ago, some absolute #### put a ####ing giant sombrero in the overhead locker. It took up half the locker. I had nowhere else to put my case, so I asked around to see who owned the sombrero. This lady looks at me, rolls her eyes, sighs and gets up as slow as #### making a big performance of getting it out of the locker.

It made me wish I’d just crushed that bastard sombrero with my case.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 05:06 PM   #15269
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thoughts on being told to put a larger backpack under the seat in front of you instead of the overhead bin(only bag you brought) in order to accommodate other people’s bags (who often brought 2 bags) on a plane?

I don’t think it is.
Would the backpack have fit into the smaller personal item dimensions?
Was the backpack within carryon dimensions? (Many aren’t)

In my opinion no one owns any space in the carryon bins so if the backpack fit in the personal item category it goes in the personal item spot which is under the seat regardless of how many bags you bring. Since there is only about .66 overhead bin spaces per passenger you don’t automatically get one.

If the backpack exceeded carry-on dimensions it should be gate checked even if smaller total volume than a roller. The back pack likely fails on depth.

If the backpack was bigger than a personal item but smaller than max carry on it should be entitled to bin space and is too large to go under the seat.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 11:45 PM   #15270
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I've been telling a salesperson exactly that for three years and they won't take no for an answer. Keeps calling, emailing etc. every few months. Problem for me is they work in the same building so I run into them all the time the Plus 15, it's hard to avoid.
Turn the table and ask if they want to sign up for Amway or buy some of your cosmetic products.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 11:49 PM   #15271
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For keyboards/calculator the 1, 2, 3 is on the bottom. For phones the 1, 2, 3 is at the top.
Why?
Could we not have gotten our #### together enough to get that right? Who was the idiot that decided they should be different.
Because then my dad would be calling all over the world when he’s just trying to balance his cheque book. Or he’d be complaining how I never answer the phone and I’d have to ask yet again “Dad? Are you calling me from the calculator again?”
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 01:18 AM   #15272
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why?
It messes me up for PIN numbers too. Muscle memory makes me pause sometimes when the pad changes.

Then it get's super confusing in Japan. They scramble the position of the numbers on the digital pad so that it's harder for people to steal your PINs but it definitely makes me think about it. I would imagine that that tech will slow come to North America (at least I haven't come across it here yet).
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 02:59 AM   #15273
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have never noticed this.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 06:37 AM   #15274
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

That reminds me about the debit/credit machines. They all seem to be different and I always have to hunt where the tap is. Sometimes on the screen, sometimes on top, sometimes on side... can't they just standardize it?
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 08:59 AM   #15275
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
That reminds me about the debit/credit machines. They all seem to be different and I always have to hunt where the tap is. Sometimes on the screen, sometimes on top, sometimes on side... can't they just standardize it?
Sometimes in the tablet ones at restaurants it is on the back of unit. Those ones are stupid.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 10:19 AM   #15276
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
A couple of years ago, some absolute #### put a ####ing giant sombrero in the overhead locker. It took up half the locker. I had nowhere else to put my case, so I asked around to see who owned the sombrero. This lady looks at me, rolls her eyes, sighs and gets up as slow as #### making a big performance of getting it out of the locker.

This story has like 7 twists in three sentences. Wild.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 10:22 AM   #15277
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnet flame View Post
a couple of years ago, some absolute #### put a ####ing giant sombrero in the overhead locker. It took up half the locker. I had nowhere else to put my case, so i asked around to see who owned the sombrero. This lady looks at me, rolls her eyes, sighs and gets up as slow as #### making a big performance of getting it out of the locker.

It made me wish i’d just crushed that bastard sombrero with my case.
ay caramba!
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 10:27 AM   #15278
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post

Narrator: "And then he realized he was flying with all of Los Lobos..."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 02:05 PM   #15279
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Do gas stations realize they need to change their receipt paper at the pumps? Any time I fill up they are out of paper so gotta go in for a receipt.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 03:23 PM   #15280
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe a "People you think are weird" thread would be fun, because I could do that all day.

But my current one is people who act like getting rained on is terrible. Your mom isn't here to yell at you to put on a jacket, relax man, it's fresh water not acid.

Bonus points if they still believe the old wives tale of it somehow making you sick

Last edited by btimbit; 05-18-2024 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Lol, 'old wives tail'
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post: