Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2024, 07:46 PM   #1
V1nnyTh3Flam35Fan
Draft Pick

Flames Does nationality matter in terms of prospect’s likelihood to stay in Calgary?

Flamesnation Barn Burner discuss about avoiding drafting American prospects: link down below
https://youtu.be/w_WbmguItZg?si=OjlhRzViDgyGqwoI

As a Flames fan I don’t want another Gaudreau/Tkachuk situation where high end non-Canadian players leave once their contracts are up; personally I would focus picking prospects
Canadians>Scandinavians=Russians=West European>Americans

Also is it a valid question to ask NHL draft prospects about their willingness to play for a Canadian team?

I don’t want our team to draft players who are clearly not interested in playing for us (ahem* Adam Fox *cough)

Comment down below your thoughts.
V1nnyTh3Flam35Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 07:51 PM   #2
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Discussed allot and COVID was the biggest component . I don't think this is as big an issue as it's made out to be.

$$$$ is the issue
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 07:53 PM   #3
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

You draft BPA regardless of Nationality. IF two players are a coin toss, sure then you can look at it. For every Tkachuk there is a Conroy.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 08:05 PM   #4
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

The insecurity of the media and fanbase with stuff like this IMO also has a big impact. Just let people be, and don't squeeze your stars the way Tre did to build loyalty.

The incessant asking of players if theyre going to leave was enough to drive me away, much less them. It would drive me nuts if I was a player. Like a girlfriend constantly asking if you're going to leave. I wasn't, but you ask me everyday and I'm freaking sick of it.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:13 PM   #5
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
The insecurity of the media and fanbase with stuff like this IMO also has a big impact. Just let people be, and don't squeeze your stars the way Tre did to build loyalty.

The incessant asking of players if theyre going to leave was enough to drive me away, much less them. It would drive me nuts if I was a player. Like a girlfriend constantly asking if you're going to leave. I wasn't, but you ask me everyday and I'm freaking sick of it.
Good luck getting Eric Francis to not constantly ask them about it or write some piece saying they will leave. Never gonna happen.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 08:35 PM   #6
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
You draft BPA regardless of Nationality. IF two players are a coin toss, sure then you can look at it. For every Tkachuk there is a Conroy.
Middling US players are fine, they just want the money, but star US players are a real risk, they want money and destination.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 09:14 PM   #7
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The top 3 US born players play for Canadian teams and basically every Canadian team outside of Calgary and Edmonton have one or more top players that also happen to be American.

It’s mostly made up nonsense.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 09:33 PM   #8
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Players leave canada because it’s government takes half their paycheques.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 10:14 PM   #9
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Players enjoy playing in front of friends and family. If you’re American, you probably like playing in America. If climate matters to you, yeah, you have southern options now.

Ultimately most of these guys want to win though. So if you’re a contender, little else matters.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 11:38 PM   #10
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Recency bias says yes. Shouldn't matter but whatever.

My opinion holds zero sway on what the Flames do. But what the Flames do sways my opinion.

Should they draft American or Russian players? Yes, should they do their due diligence on every player they're considering drafting? Also yes.

Do I think right now isn't a good time to spend a 9th OA on a NCAA player? Yes.
Old 05-11-2024, 11:59 PM   #11
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

There are only 640 jobs available in the NHL. 500 in the US.

You can’t always play where you want.

Last edited by troutman; 05-12-2024 at 12:14 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 12:37 AM   #12
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
So does California and New York.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 12:44 AM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well...I think that is too simplistic of a question.

I think 'locality' in general terms is certainly an issue. The most obvious are local state/provincial/national taxes certainly.

But if you could make more money playing in Florida vs. Winnipeg, given the opportunity, even if at some point Winnipeg were a better team, wouldnt you take it?

I've always held to the thought that 'Pro Sports is not a Career. Its an opportunity."

Make as much as you can because that opportunity can be short and fleeting.

The 'Nationality' thing only really came about due to COVID. If you're going to try and plan your life out around once-in-a-lifetime events? Thats gonna be tough.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2024, 12:47 AM   #14
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

We need to draw a line with some nationalities (YouTube link wouldn’t work so spoiler alert, it’s Mitch Hedberg).

https://youtu.be/El65C0u_J3U?si=b4KxaATW1DS4LTsl

Last edited by PaperBagger'14; 05-12-2024 at 12:50 AM.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2024, 12:51 AM   #15
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
I doubt an American citizen who plays a sport half the time in the US is taxed on much of their salary, if they are they need a way better tax lawyer
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 01:00 AM   #16
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
We need to draw a line with some nationalities (YouTube link wouldn’t work so spoiler alert, it’s Mitch Hedberg).

https://youtu.be/El65C0u_J3U?si=b4KxaATW1DS4LTsl

Lol! Mitch was one of the best!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2024, 01:26 AM   #17
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of people forget that Matthew Tkachuk is half-Canadian. He mentioned before that his mother's side of the family lives in Winnipeg and he felt a connection to Western Canada. He also chose to play junior in Canada. His brother also signed a long term deal to play in Canada. I don't think him leaving had to do with being American and not wanting to play in Canada. I think he was a little miffed about the Flames specifically and figured if he was going to bridged, he would take that opportunity to move on.
Old 05-12-2024, 01:35 AM   #18
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pinder is right. Winning addresses Rhett's concerns.
Old 05-12-2024, 02:37 AM   #19
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think that nationality matters as much for a rebuilding team.

The three most important things for players are winning, the opportunity to advance your career, and the total earning potential.

Even if your market sucks, like the one up north, people will want to play there. Especially if you get to play with either McDavid, or Draiseitl for a year to inflate your point totals for free agency.

Being on a winning team is just as important, because let's face it losing sucks, and the players have pride. From all accounts, coming to the rink with Sutter at the helm during his last year was absolute misery.

Then we get into a dollar earned in Calgary being equivalent to 70c in Vegas and Tampa, so that's also a big consideration.

As far as prospects go, I could see the reluctance of going to CGY in years past. That said, Zary, Pospisil, and Wolf have changed that narrative under Conroy. Prospects get the opportunities to show their game and the development to round it into form.

Right now, a big selling point for CGY is an opportunity to play higher in the lineup for less proven guys(like Sharangovich, and Kuzmenko), that might be stuck behind good players on the depth chart.

---

After all that then there are more individual considerations:
Family, things to do, teammates' nationality, how close the room is, and the weather.

IMO, Calgary doesn't have that much to do besides the outdoors and hockey. When the weather gets bad in the winter it also makes people stay more indoors, so some wives/girlfriends might like it less.

Finally, I think we're slowly transitioning from a Swedish/American core to a more Russian/Belarussian/Canadian core. That might be attractive to other Russians, especially if Sharangovich and Kuzmenko follow up on their success last season. The Flames players also seem to be on the same page, and have a much better locker room than they had in years past. Everyone works on a nightly basis, and has eachothers back. That combined with a fair coach and a good captain would be the final selling point for players considering to stick around.

Last edited by gvitaly; 05-12-2024 at 02:41 AM.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 03:26 AM   #20
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It wasn't that long ago when the only players who chose to go to Florida were washed-up guys who were hanging on well past their primes. I used to go to games when the Panthers came to town and spend half the time going, "Oh, he's still playing? I thought he retired 5 years ago."

Tags
american , calgary flames , discussion , draft picks , future hockey heroes