Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2024, 09:23 AM   #5421
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

New choke point on SW Stoney it seems. I travel this route every Thursday and it's been this way for the past three weeks now, was never an issue before.

I don't see any slowdowns on WB Glenmore where the loop ramp to SB Stoney / Tsu Tina is (bottleneck that was discussed here recently) - that seems to flow okay now. But there has been significant slowdowns on WB Stoney at 69 Street as traffic volumes increase. The issue is WB Glenmore is 3 lanes and NB>WB Stoney is 3 lanes so a total of 6 lanes of traffic. But Stoney reduces to 3 lanes just west of 69 Street SW so we have 6 lanes of traffic funneling down into 3 lanes.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 10:35 AM   #5422
Yellefan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What's up with the lines on the west ring road? Can't even see them if it's wet and/or dark. Also why does the left lane end around the Bragg creek exit? Goes down to 2 lanes but that left lane doesnt' need to end.
Yellefan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yellefan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 11:00 AM   #5423
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellefan View Post
What's up with the lines on the west ring road? Can't even see them if it's wet and/or dark. Also why does the left lane end around the Bragg creek exit? Goes down to 2 lanes but that left lane doesnt' need to end.
Cant even see half of them around the TCH interchanges because they don't exist at all - they've worn off. I am hoping/assuming they were were painted quickly last year to get the road opened before winter and they will circle back this summer and properly paint them with paint that actually lasts more than a few months.
Old 05-10-2024, 11:11 AM   #5424
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Paint never lasts long on new roads, soaks into the asphalt. Takes a few layers before it sticks around for any meaningful time
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 11:12 AM   #5425
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't care what anyone says. I love the ring road.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:20 AM   #5426
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
New choke point on SW Stoney it seems. I travel this route every Thursday and it's been this way for the past three weeks now, was never an issue before.

I don't see any slowdowns on WB Glenmore where the loop ramp to SB Stoney / Tsu Tina is (bottleneck that was discussed here recently) - that seems to flow okay now. But there has been significant slowdowns on WB Stoney at 69 Street as traffic volumes increase. The issue is WB Glenmore is 3 lanes and NB>WB Stoney is 3 lanes so a total of 6 lanes of traffic. But Stoney reduces to 3 lanes just west of 69 Street SW so we have 6 lanes of traffic funneling down into 3 lanes.
And what's with the left lane disappearing there, only to re-appear a little bit farther west? It seems quite haphazard and without warning.

I just can't understand the logic of having the left/passing/fast lane disappear briefly. Seems like a recipe for trouble.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 11:33 AM   #5427
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
And what's with the left lane disappearing there, only to re-appear a little bit farther west? It seems quite haphazard and without warning.

I just can't understand the logic of having the left/passing/fast lane disappear briefly. Seems like a recipe for trouble.
On top of that the shoulder where it disappears is like 12' wide, so they don't even need to do any road work to fix it, they just need to pull 2 signs down and paint a line. This is why he faux libertarians we have to suffer in Alberta hate governments.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:36 AM   #5428
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
On top of that the shoulder where it disappears is like 12' wide, so they don't even need to do any road work to fix it, they just need to pull 2 signs down and paint a line. This is why he faux libertarians we have to suffer in Alberta hate governments.
I imagine that's exactly what they'll do, iirc there was still a closure there going into at least December so it makes sense why it wasn't just done like that from the start
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 01:16 PM   #5429
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Agree on that lane ending, that's gotta get fixed

There is a noticeable increase in speed enforcement over the last two weeks on the west leg, at least during the times I am travelling on it. For the first few months, I never saw a single cop/sheriff.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 01:40 PM   #5430
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don't see any slowdowns on WB Glenmore where the loop ramp to SB Stoney / Tsu Tina is (bottleneck that was discussed here recently) - that seems to flow okay now.

Its better-ish most days. The day it was raining everyone was driving super slow on the curve/ramp and it was backed up really bad.

Seems like its mostly better cause WB Glenmore is all backed by Richard Road/37th Street.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 03:38 PM   #5431
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Its better-ish most days. The day it was raining everyone was driving super slow on the curve/ramp and it was backed up really bad.

Seems like its mostly better cause WB Glenmore is all backed by Richard Road/37th Street.
This is the part I meant that seems to have gone away. maybe it's just the time of day I generally go through ( usually 5pm or later) and the small sample size (only on Thursday) but I have not seen a backup there in months.
Old 05-10-2024, 03:42 PM   #5432
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't understand the logic in it disappearing and then adding it back further wet but I do agree with it being the left lane that ends rather than the right. The QE2 near Carstairs is a good example of the opposite and why it doesn't work. When a lane is added on the right very few people move over and actually use it, the left and middle lanes remain full while the right is empty. At least with the left lane ending it keeps everyone in the right / middle lanes.
Old 05-10-2024, 03:55 PM   #5433
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't understand the logic in it disappearing and then adding it back further wet but I do agree with it being the left lane that ends rather than the right. The QE2 near Carstairs is a good example of the opposite and why it doesn't work. When a lane is added on the right very few people move over and actually use it, the left and middle lanes remain full while the right is empty. At least with the left lane ending it keeps everyone in the right / middle lanes.
I partially disagree. I think that lanes should end on the right, and be added on the left.

Eastbound Scott Lake Hill is another example that we’d probably partially agree on. The lane is added to the right and nobody uses it. It should be added on the left to keep the right lane traffic in the farthest right lane.

But it ends properly, in my opinion, on the right. Safer to merge the right into the centre than the left into the centre.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 06:59 PM   #5434
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeesh that is the first time i have driven west in rush hour. I can't say that I am surprised the construction in this province/city managed to build a ring road that is broken months after it opened.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 10:50 PM   #5435
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I drive past 16th westbound in the morning, and it's the wild west out there at 6:15 am. Seriously, these same 5 vehicles go screaming by, weaving in and out of traffic like it's a video game. I have been doing this for 3 months and once the ice started to melt these clowns go by me like I'm standing still and I'm usually going 110. There have been instances where they must have been going 150, easy.
I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that nobody has died because of those asshats. Seriously, Dubya tee eff?!
Old 05-10-2024, 11:10 PM   #5436
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis's Hairpiece View Post
I drive past 16th westbound in the morning, and it's the wild west out there at 6:15 am. Seriously, these same 5 vehicles go screaming by, weaving in and out of traffic like it's a video game. I have been doing this for 3 months and once the ice started to melt these clowns go by me like I'm standing still and I'm usually going 110. There have been instances where they must have been going 150, easy.
I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that nobody has died because of those asshats. Seriously, Dubya tee eff?!
Finally seen cops pulling cars over on the new RR in the past week.

Never been so glad to see their presence. A lot of Dom Terreto Jrs on that road. Mixed in with sane drivers and slower moving trucks it makes things a little treacherous when traffic volume is high.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 11:47 AM   #5437
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I partially disagree. I think that lanes should end on the right, and be added on the left.

Eastbound Scott Lake Hill is another example that we’d probably partially agree on. The lane is added to the right and nobody uses it. It should be added on the left to keep the right lane traffic in the farthest right lane.

But it ends properly, in my opinion, on the right. Safer to merge the right into the centre than the left into the centre.
I can agree to that, it's logical.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 03:39 PM   #5438
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:

As soon as I saw your first sentence I got all excited to reply and bring up Scott Lake Hill. What a waste of a lane, due to adding it on the right. Plus it's a safety hazard with all the brodozers going 170 in the right lane to pass everyone struggling in the middle and left lanes. I have to turn the air recirculation going up that hill because of all the exhaust fumes.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 04:52 PM   #5439
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

There's an easy fix for the added lane thing that BC has been doing for a while: just paint it so cars will go to the right. The Calgary-side of Scott Lake Hill gets the lane added from an interchange so it's not as easy a fix, but on the Kananaskis side it's simple.

Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 04:54 PM   #5440
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
As soon as I saw your first sentence I got all excited to reply and bring up Scott Lake Hill. What a waste of a lane, due to adding it on the right. Plus it's a safety hazard with all the brodozers going 170 in the right lane to pass everyone struggling in the middle and left lanes. I have to turn the air recirculation going up that hill because of all the exhaust fumes.
No doubt the odd driver or two are doing close to that speed in the right lane but you could be doing 120-125 and you'll still be overtaking the traffic in the two left lanes.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote