Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2024, 01:29 PM   #3661
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default MF YYC Politics - there, I mega did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I’m not sure which was more ridiculous, the policy itself or over the top meltdowns people were having over paying 15 cents more for their Big Mac meal.

Either way I’m glad it’s over.

No idea how they came to the conclusion that giving restaurants an extra 15 cents per takeout order was going to somehow help the environment. I think people would have been far less annoyed by the charge had they just made it an additional tax instead and put the revenue generated from it towards projects that actually help the environment.
A new dump. But they should have another public hearing and the most vexed citizens’ get it. This would actually do the most to curb trash, since they’d also want it kept as pristine as possible.

Assuming there is a large overlap between people not wanting a new landfill near them and a love of lots of bags and plastic straws.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 01:46 PM   #3662
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It was enforced everywhere I went.
Which parts of the bylaws. I was certainly charged for bags some of the time.

But the annoying part of the bylaw wasn’t that. It was that you had to ask for straws cutlery napkins.

So are you saying that you were not offered and did not receive any straws, napkins or cutlery with any order you made unless you specifically asked and that you were offered a bag and never given one by default?

In my interactions the straws, cutlery and napkins portion of the bylaw immediately disappeared and they were provided without me asking. The bag being offered and charged was probably 50/50.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 05:27 PM   #3663
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It was not enforced by anyone amywhere
Huh? I'm a fat ass and eat out a lot. It was literally and I'm not exaggerating enforced 100% of the time I went anywhere. This is embarrassing to admit but I eat out probably 20 times a month. Not one time did I not get charged.

Once I thought they forgot but then realized I was in Balzac and they didn't have that law there.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 05:57 PM   #3664
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of you guys have different definitions of the terms enforced and followed.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 06:10 PM   #3665
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Huh? I'm a fat ass and eat out a lot. It was literally and I'm not exaggerating enforced 100% of the time I went anywhere. This is embarrassing to admit but I eat out probably 20 times a month. Not one time did I not get charged.

Once I thought they forgot but then realized I was in Balzac and they didn't have that law there.
How many times did they give you straws and napkins without you asking for them?
Old 05-09-2024, 07:30 PM   #3666
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
How many times did they give you straws and napkins without you asking for them?
I was more talking about the bag. Yeah nobody every asked about the straw but I rarely got napkins without asking.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 09:35 PM   #3667
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was more talking about the bag. Yeah nobody every asked about the straw but I rarely got napkins without asking.
To me the bag wasn’t the problem with the bylaw. It was you having to ask for a bag and straws and napkins and stuff.
Old 05-10-2024, 10:10 AM   #3668
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
It probably came from administration. There appear to be a few environmentalists there that pull the strings. They've found the proverbial pot of gold with the current City Council.
Oh god, environmentalists!?!?! They've made their way into City Administration? It's too late for us, just blow it all up!
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:39 AM   #3669
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What a world we live in, where being seen as an environmentalist is a character fault
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 11:44 AM   #3670
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember - the environment, climate change, renewable energy, gentrification, vaccines, scientists, people who rent, subsidized transit passes, and paper straws are the real problems here.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 11:53 AM   #3671
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think what they wanted to accomplish was reasonable enough, it was just executed horribly.

I'm with iggy oi, won't miss the bylaw, but at least the rhetoric around it was very entertaining
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 03:07 PM   #3672
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
What a world we live in, where being seen as an environmentalist is a character fault
I had this discussion with my wife a while back. I’d say I’m an environmentalist, but I also don’t want to be associated with the wacko radicals.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 03:24 PM   #3673
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Aha! So you DO need help with budgeting....

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 03:27 PM   #3674
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The hard reality is the path the wacko environmentalists want is still not enough to save much. So even they may not be extreme enough. The reality is, human nature won't allow this to be solved.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 04:02 PM   #3675
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is “wacko” the new “woke”? It’s getting a little over-used.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 04:27 PM   #3676
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The hard reality is the path the wacko environmentalists want is still not enough to save much. So even they may not be extreme enough. The reality is, human nature won't allow this to be solved.
Save what exactly? What is "this"?

If by "this", you mean the planet Earth.. ..well, it'll be fine. It's gone through a lot worse than whatever we can throw at it. It's seen countless of animals and plants and living things come and go. We're basically a temporary parasite.

If by "this", you mean our way of life... well you may have a point...up to a point. Humanity will likely not solve or prevent any global-scale environmental changes...but it most likely will adapt to them. I know it's de riguer to be a doomer about our future...but humans have been on this planet for about 200,000 years... we've lived through atleast a couple of ice ages, massive plagues, global wars, droughts and famines etc etc....and in that time we've come out the other side. Because the one thing we are good at is adapting. We adjust to changing conditions, we move and migrate (across continents if we have to), we build cities in the most inhospitable places, and we invent new technologies to help us along the way. We may be selfish, hateful, and short-sighted... but as a species we're nothing if not resilient!

Whatever world lies ahead may not be the same as it is today, but we'll most likely adapt to that too. Humanity will probably eventually destroy itself...but it will be at the hands of war or technology (or perhaps something from space...be it asteroid or living thing), but I doubt it will be because the temperature or sea levels rise or fall a few degrees. We'll get over it.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 04:52 PM   #3677
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I meant way of life, and population pressures on the environment. Oceans are decimated of life, aquifers are pumped dry, and everyone on the planet can't live like we do, but they are on their way up, so pressures are not going to drop. I just don't think the planet has the capacity for it, and people are not going to give up what they have, so inevitably something has to give.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 05:05 PM   #3678
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Is “wacko” the new “woke”? It’s getting a little over-used.
I don’t know. Whatever term you want to use.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 06:27 PM   #3679
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I had this discussion with my wife a while back. I’d say I’m an environmentalist, but I also don’t want to be associated with the wacko radicals.
I think most people are this way with most "-ists" really. Like by definition I'm a feminist and an environmentalist, but you'd never really call me that and I won't be going to any protests any time soon
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 06:28 PM   #3680
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The woke wacko radicals! They’re everywhere! They’re making me fellate my paper lids!
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote