Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2024, 12:46 PM   #41
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
I've never understood the fear of being tracked. Like what's so special in your life that it matters if you're being tracked.

Also, I ordered a 23&me DNA kit and had some conspiracy theory friends think I'm crazy "they're gonna have your DNA...you don't know what they'll do with it"

Yeah so? They can do whatever they want with it lol it doesn't effect me in any way.
The concern in the US is that they would sell it to health insurance providers. They have your genetic code and can see the likelihood of you developing various medical conditions, and "adjust" your premiums accordingly.

The more conspiracy minded would suggest that by cross referencing your results with that of your close relations they could build a profile across your entire extended family, and then adjust a lot of people's premiums.

I mean... it seems unlikely that 23&me's primary business model is not based on "one and done" family trees.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 12:55 PM   #42
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've never understood the fear of being tracked. Like what's so special in your life that it matters if you're being tracked.

Also, I ordered a 23&me DNA kit and had some conspiracy theory friends think I'm crazy "they're gonna have your DNA...you don't know what they'll do with it"

Yeah so? They can do whatever they want with it lol it doesn't effect me in any way.
Is 23&me the Mormon run company?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 12:56 PM   #43
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
23andMe is a commercial enterprise. Its business model depends on packaging and reselling its customers’ genetic data and other information. Earlier this year, 23andMe announced the first two of a number of deals with pharmaceutical and biotech corporations, including some of the largest in those sectors.

Handing over genetic, health and personal information to companies like 23andMe – and paying them for the privilege – isn’t the best way to advance science.
Is that what purchasers of the company’s spit kits had in mind when they read the consent document that begins, “23andMe aims to make and support scientific discoveries and publish those discoveries in scientific journals?”

But once you part with your genetic information, there can’t be guarantees of privacy and anonymity, as 23andMe’s consent document acknowledges. And while a 2008 law prohibits health insurance companies and employers from discrimination based on genetic information, the law does not cover disability, life or long-term care insurance. Breaches could affect not just you, but your relatives as well.
https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebat...20information.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 12:58 PM   #44
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

you were supposed to spit in it

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 09:24 PM   #45
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:
Quote:

I find it funny that you are more worked up over a breathalyzer than you are for a company selling your DNA.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 11:42 PM   #46
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

Wait, then you bring up 23 and me as an example of what not to worry about? And consider it a conspiracy theory? There's a lot of tracking that doesn't matter anymore if you want to participate in the online world, but 23 and me is a horrible example.

That could have massive implications as the years go by. Never give them your business.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 12:02 AM   #47
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Wait, then you bring up 23 and me as an example of what not to worry about? And consider it a conspiracy theory? There's a lot of tracking that doesn't matter anymore if you want to participate in the online world, but 23 and me is a horrible example.

That could have massive implications as the years go by. Never give them your business.

Yeah, I wouldn’t never willingly give away a DNA sample to some company. Not only implications to the person who gave the sample, but their parents, siblings, children. Need to think a little bit about what the future may hold. “Remember when you said you has no family history or pre-existing conditions? Well 23&Me told you, did you forget? Coverage denied!

Not worth the risk for some small amount of entertainment value.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 09:02 AM   #48
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure how we got here in this thread, but I'll stay off topic too.
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I would also never give up DNA so my children could never implicated by law enforcement, through me. I have zero concern that they might ever be involved in any activity that would deem something like this necessary, but still nope.

'I don't answer questions'.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 09:09 AM   #49
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

23 and Me has been the subject of a few hacks, too. It's easy enough to ignore the email saying they've secretly recorded you through your webcam, but it would be a lot harder to ignore them having your DNA results, blackmailing you about telling your company you have a gene for early onset alzheimer's, or many other things that can be gleaned you may not want others knowing.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 03:09 PM   #50
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I find it funny that you are more worked up over a breathalyzer than you are for a company selling your DNA.
23 and me does not sell the DNA or any Information so not sure where you got that information from.

And I don't care about the breathalyzer it's the being stopped for any reason and the potential for profiling.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 03:14 PM   #51
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

Yeah honestly what's to worry about? They don't sell any information or give your information away so the insurance point is moot.

I've yet to see one point that makes sense to not do a DNA test.

I guess it could be hacked but no insurance company is buying hacked information. I just don't see the downside and yes a lot of it is conspiracy theories about them selling your information. They don't.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:17 PM   #52
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Easy Car Theft with Antenna Relay Attacks

Quote:
23 and me does not sell the DNA or any Information so not sure where you got that information from.

And I don't care about the breathalyzer it's the being stopped for any reason and the potential for profiling.

Did you miss the announcement posted after yours that they are?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 03:24 PM   #53
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Did you miss the announcement posted after yours that they are?
That's all done anonymously and used for studies and to learn how to treat diseases. No personal information is sold and the anonymous information is for the betterment of society.

Also so many serial killers and murders have been solved by people posting their own DNA to other sites and I think it's all a positive.

To each their own.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:28 PM   #54
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
People here in Toronto are getting their houses broken into and keys stolen. Cops (stupidly) even told people to leave your doors unlocked. Ridiculous.

I've seen people installing bollards too. My neighbor parks his ####ty minivan perpendicular behind his new GMC Sierra. Not a bad idea.
buy a $500 POS to box in your car lol...not a bad idea.