Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2024, 04:17 PM   #2281
Titan2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
If that is all the justice system can provide I would 100% be seeking personal retribution if a loved one was a victim of similar circumstances.
Sadly, and ironically, then you would go away for 10 years.

Doesn't seem right.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:05 PM   #2282
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I am sure he is facing a civil action.
Wrongful death claims pay shockingly low amounts in Canada. There is no pain and suffering award, once someone has passed away. Basically, looking at burial costs and not much else.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 03:23 PM   #2283
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of stuff/history about this on reddit it seems.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/dog-owner...eath-1.6925075

Dog owner speaks out after court rules dogs euthanized in fatal senior death
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 04:41 PM   #2284
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Wrongful death claims pay shockingly low amounts in Canada. There is no pain and suffering award, once someone has passed away. Basically, looking at burial costs and not much else.
Better than a kick in the balls with a frozen mukluk

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 04:48 PM   #2285
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

The details in there are horrific, I can't imagine an old lady having her last moments like that.
F these morons with aggressive breeds, pathetic small men who need aggressive dogs to feel tough.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 08:08 PM   #2286
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

what an effing dbag. He is lucky he isn't crying every day in his jail cell. pathetic that he only got a fine.
Old 07-11-2024, 09:34 PM   #2287
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a human piece of kyit!!!! Why would they not break the goddamn windows?!! 2 hours while she went for a walk!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga..._CBCCalgary_P8
Quote:
"Witnesses informed the officer that they had observed the dog panting so heavily that the car was shaking, and the dog eventually stopped responding to knocks on the window.

"The windows of the vehicle were up and the doors were locked. The officer entered the vehicle by breaking a window in an attempt to rescue the dog, who was later identified as a female four-year-old Alaskan malamute, German shepherd crossbreed named Lucky. She was located deceased inside of the car."

Kaitlyn Rose Folkins, 30, is facing charges of injuring an animal and causing distress to an animal.

Last edited by Johnny Makarov; 07-11-2024 at 09:36 PM.
Johnny Makarov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 04:38 PM   #2288
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Why would they not break the goddamn windows?!!
They should be charged for criminal negligence for finding a living thing in distress and doing nothing until it was dead.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2024, 04:49 PM   #2289
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's actually not a bad idea to keep a window breaker in your vehicle, never know when it might come in handy. I have a flashlight with one on the end that lives in the center console. If you end up in water it could be life saving. Or for stupid idiots like this. And their, window, too.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 05:34 PM   #2290
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
They should be charged for criminal negligence for finding a living thing in distress and doing nothing until it was dead.
We can’t be charging bystanders for not breaking a window in someone else’s car. My wife would call 911 but she would never have the strength nor would I want her trying to break a window.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whynotnow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2024, 06:27 PM   #2291
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's actually not a bad idea to keep a window breaker in your vehicle, never know when it might come in handy. I have a flashlight with one on the end that lives in the center console. If you end up in water it could be life saving. Or for stupid idiots like this. And their, window, too.
OK Bear Grylls.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 06:31 PM   #2292
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
OK Bear Grylls.
In truth my wife's company gave it to her and she was showing it to me in the car, so I tossed it in the console. "Nice! Let's keep it here." And that's about the most I've thought about it until today. But YOU should get one. Particularly if you have a deep pond, a Tesla, and a few drinks on board.
Old 07-12-2024, 06:38 PM   #2293
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
In truth my wife's company gave it to her and she was showing it to me in the car, so I tossed it in the console. "Nice! Let's keep it here." And that's about the most I've thought about it until today. But YOU should get one. Particularly if you have a deep pond, a Tesla, and a few drinks on board.

But will it help you fight off sharks?
Old 07-12-2024, 07:12 PM   #2294
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

You only have to fight off the weakest in your group.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 07:45 PM   #2295
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
It's a flashlight, so I'll blind their beady little eyes.
Old 07-12-2024, 08:32 PM   #2296
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Terrible situation but I don't fault the others for not breaking the window. I've heard of situations where people broke windows to "rescue" dogs and the dog ended up freaking out and jumping out into traffic. It sounds like they were standing around watching things go downhill, but that could just be how the article was written.

First option should be to call 911, IMO.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 08:49 PM   #2297
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Terrible situation but I don't fault the others for not breaking the window. I've heard of situations where people broke windows to "rescue" dogs and the dog ended up freaking out and jumping out into traffic. It sounds like they were standing around watching things go downhill, but that could just be how the article was written.

First option should be to call 911, IMO.
It even says that in the news story.

Personally, I would have called the non-emergency number to report it. They'd still send someone. Before reading that, I wouldn't have thought this was something 911 could be used for. I assumed 911 was for human health and safety emergencies only. In fact, I have explicitly been told that 911 should not be used for pet emergencies or animals in distress. Instead I was told you should call municipal animal control. I guess because an arrestable offence is causing the distress, it makes sense.

If things got to the point where the dog looked like it was dying and there was no time to wait for police or animal control, I think I would break the window and take my chances.
Old 07-12-2024, 09:44 PM   #2298
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been involved in animal rescue in the past and people are always saying, "Break the window." Which in this case would have made sense, but often it doesn't. We've always been told if an animal appears in distress, the best option is to call 911.

Once I called the non-emergency number on a different matter, and they still sent fire trucks with sirens blaring, even though I clearly stated there was no current emergency. (I was walking my dogs in the park when some kids who knew my dogs came and told me a guy had set a fire. Fire was out and the guy was long gone, but they still came roaring up.)
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 10:21 AM   #2299
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I've been involved in animal rescue in the past and people are always saying, "Break the window." Which in this case would have made sense, but often it doesn't. We've always been told if an animal appears in distress, the best option is to call 911.

Once I called the non-emergency number on a different matter, and they still sent fire trucks with sirens blaring, even though I clearly stated there was no current emergency. (I was walking my dogs in the park when some kids who knew my dogs came and told me a guy had set a fire. Fire was out and the guy was long gone, but they still came roaring up.)
Well, yeah, if you call in a fire I would hope they throw on the lights and send some fire trucks. What did you think would happen lol?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2024, 10:29 AM   #2300
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Well, yeah, if you call in a fire I would hope they throw on the lights and send some fire trucks. What did you think would happen lol?
Yeah people seem weary of calling 911, it's the reason they stopped putting the non-emergency number on police cars 10 or so years ago, people kept calling it when they shouldn't. I think their hearts are in the right place, hearing stories of people calling 911 for dumb stuff and whatnot, but then they're scared that their thing is too minor. Don't worry, dispatch will prioritize it accordingly, you don't need to worry about doing that yourself

Remember; Emergency, injury or in progress crime, 911.

Think of non-emergency generally to report things after the fact, like theft, non-injury accidents, etc. Please don't call 311 when something is on fire, that's sadly common
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog attack puppy barking