Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2024, 09:56 AM   #141
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

2013 would have been the Feaster year. 14 probably still had Feaster residue on the draft. The Wise one was impacting those drafts a lot.

I think Treliving did value the draft, and focusing on it. The issue was he did not value the draft picks, and we went into drafts with him repeating the same story "I wish I could give the scouts more picks"

Same scouting staff that identified Kucherov who just had 100 assists and is up for MVP. Same ones who found Adam Fox who won a Norris.

The issue may also be they don't have the picks to swing big like that all the time, and take a safer route.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 10:00 AM   #142
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think the thing with the scouting staff also goes beyond who was drafted, but who they identified as an NHLer. Part of me thinks this is partly the reason that Tod is still around. At the end of the day, the GM makes the final decision. I think what has changed over the course of the last decade is probably all analytics and systems that the teams build. It is a far cry from the days where Sutter reached for Pelech because he needed a Warner replacement.
That's a great counter point. Maybe who we are taking isn't turning out, but players he and the staff identified that get taken a bit before our chance end up hitting.

Just a note on the GM influence that keeps getting brought up. It has been discussed in prior years that the GM does not make any picks beyond "the list" which is exhausted usually by end of 3rd round. It then goes to Tod and area scouts. Is this correct?
Old 05-07-2024, 10:13 AM   #143
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post

Where did I say I dont give him any credit for those drafts?
Sorry wasn't suggesting you in particular.

To me you have to look at number of picks, weighting of picks, and then success with that capital if you're going to assess your scouting staff.

The Flames had brutal draft capital levels but found players pretty much every year.

That's why they did well in that Athletic article.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2024, 10:14 AM   #144
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
That's a great counter point. Maybe who we are taking isn't turning out, but players he and the staff identified that get taken a bit before our chance end up hitting.

Just a note on the GM influence that keeps getting brought up. It has been discussed in prior years that the GM does not make any picks beyond "the list" which is exhausted usually by end of 3rd round. It then goes to Tod and area scouts. Is this correct?
Every GM is different.

Some have parameters that steer the entire draft.

Calgary had a no Russians thing for years.

Sutter had a big and from Western Canada thing.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 10:19 AM   #145
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Every GM is different.

Some have parameters that steer the entire draft.

Calgary had a no Russians thing for years.

Sutter had a big and from Western Canada thing.
Just not Shea Weber.

I’m sorry, I know we already talked about this, but it will never not irritate me.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:06 AM   #146
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post

It makes general sense. A GM isn't going to do the dives necessary to have input on players past 100 or so. And even in rounds 2 and 3 I suspect that their knowledge is based on scouts, and not other sources (as opposed to the upper half of round one). But overall I think it depends on the GM. I mean does anyone hold Button responsible for Jankowski?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote