Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2023, 09:46 AM   #3221
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's kind of weird that I'm defending Hill (he's shown to not be a good person and being a former Chief I wish no success for him) but he's making a lot of people in Miami look like geniuses (McDaniel, Smith) when they are simply taking a page from Andy Reid and taking advantage of having a WR that simply can't be consistently covered over the course of a game. He opens up everything for that offense. Dak's having a good season but Cooper Rush is 5-1 when starting in place for Dak and I wager their record wouldn't be much worse with Rush playing QB for them. There's no replacement for Tyreek Hill as no player in the league can do what he does. He should win MVP and it shouldn't really be close IMO.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 09:50 AM   #3222
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

CMC has been great, but that offence has so many pieces even when he is out they work. Deebo was out and it worked.

Tyreek went out and it looked like they couldn't do anything. Opens up the field for everyone, the running game, the passing game.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 10:31 AM   #3223
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Comparing yards per carry to yards per catch is just silly IMO.
I think you are missing the point that it's easier to get touches for a running back than it is for a wide receiver. No one is comparing yards per carry to yards per catch. It's like comparing Tyreeks average depth of target as a receiver to what CMC would have, it's apples to oranges.

The point is that even when he doesn't have the ball Tyreek Hill is making things a lot easier for the rest of the Dolphins offence to move the ball because no one has one guy who can take him out. Whereas if you put a RB off the street in the 49'ers offence, I think it's still a top 10 offence that would move the ball. We've already seen that offence struggles more without Deebo to create space for everyone else.
Old 12-13-2023, 11:20 AM   #3224
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

NFL hosting a game in Sao Paulo Brazil. That place is an urban mess, and it's a long flight to get there...if players don't like London, they'll hate this. Unlike say Rio, Sao Paulo doesn't have beaches, or iconic sites.
Old 12-13-2023, 11:33 AM   #3225
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole playing games outside of the US is just dumb.

These are American based teams with the majority being American players. Now talking about playing a SuperBowl in London.

I don't see Champions League finals being played in the US.

If you want European audience open up NFL Europe again.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 11:36 AM   #3226
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm looking forward to the first NFL game on Antarctica
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 08:18 PM   #3227
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
The whole playing games outside of the US is just dumb.

These are American based teams with the majority being American players. Now talking about playing a SuperBowl in London.

I don't see Champions League finals being played in the US.

If you want European audience open up NFL Europe again.
Playing the Superbowl outside of the US would be asinine and will never happen. There is too much hype, sponsorship, partying and money involved in that event to move it.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 08:51 PM   #3228
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Playing the Superbowl outside of the US would be asinine and will never happen. There is too much hype, sponsorship, partying and money involved in that event to move it.
There's a lot of money to be made in the rest of the world, too. London is a massive city, bigger than New York. And creating NFL fans on that side of the pond is really the best way to grow the game at this point in time.

The one thing I'll give you is the Super Bowl kick-off time is optimized to maximize all TV revenues but a game in London would have to be earlier in the day. Probably 4:00 Eastern at the latest.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 09:27 PM   #3229
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
There's a lot of money to be made in the rest of the world, too. London is a massive city, bigger than New York. And creating NFL fans on that side of the pond is really the best way to grow the game at this point in time.

The one thing I'll give you is the Super Bowl kick-off time is optimized to maximize all TV revenues but a game in London would have to be earlier in the day. Probably 4:00 Eastern at the latest.
The thing with revenue in London is that they can probably generate a lot from tickets but would it generate a lot for related industries like hotels, car rentals, restaurants etc? A lot of football fans will travel for the Super Bowl. Would people travel to the game in London or would they rely on the local population?
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 12:04 AM   #3230
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
CMC has been great, but that offence has so many pieces even when he is out they work. Deebo was out and it worked.

Tyreek went out and it looked like they couldn't do anything. Opens up the field for everyone, the running game, the passing game.
They lost 3 games in a row when Deebo was out with injury
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 06:56 AM   #3231
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post

London metro is 9 million, New York is 23 million.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 06:58 AM   #3232
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
London metro is 9 million, New York is 23 million.
London only has 3 million more people than Toronto.
Old 12-14-2023, 07:21 AM   #3233
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only way I could ever see London hosting a Super Bowl is if they have a domed stadium so they can mitigate the weather and have the game start at 10pm local, which puts it at 5pm Eastern. And in that scenario it'd have to be on a Saturday. But London in February is not exactly good weather, could be a miserable fan experience. And I can't see the TV networks ever signing off on a 2pm Eastern kickoff (unless it's the first Amazon Prime Super Bowl?).
Old 12-14-2023, 08:32 AM   #3234
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NFL is all about growing their game and making more money so it's a matter of time until they eventually venture out of the USA. I could see a future where there's maybe a European division of teams but that would be decades away.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:49 AM   #3235
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The NFL is hesitant to expand. It's been what? 25 years?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 10:30 AM   #3236
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Well with the current price of Superbowl tickets..what's another 25 grand to travel to and enjoy 4 days in London to see it to those who can afford it? Getting to a point where if you can't afford to wipe your arse with dollar bills, you are not going to any game let alone the Superbowl.
Old 12-14-2023, 12:00 PM   #3237
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh. Based on some of the social media posts I'm seeing, it sure looks like the Sao Paolo games will be Eagles vs. Steelers.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 02:42 PM   #3238
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
McCaffrey has also already had a better season than this in 2019, when he had 1000 yards running and receiving.
Exactly, he did it as a Panther. So maybe just maybe he's putting together this season on the merits of his own talent and playmaking ability, and not simply because of the talented players around him?

Tyreek doesn't get 5-7 carries per game because if he did, it would take a little bit away from the explosive threat he poses as a burner wide receiver. RBs take more of a pounding than WRs do. It makes it all the more impressive how good McCaffrey is as a dual-threat. He opens things up for the 9ers passing game just like Hill opens things up for the Dolphins running game and other receivers.

Quote:
Despite being the MVP of the league
Very disputable and it opens up a whole other can of worms, because with this logic you could say that a kicker who goes a whole season without missing a FG should win league MVP because hey, it's not his fault that he doesn't play a more impactful position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Whereas if you put a RB off the street in the 49'ers offence, I think it's still a top 10 offence that would move the ball.
Top 10? Doubtful. They would be a middling offense.

Last edited by Mathgod; 12-14-2023 at 02:46 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 03:20 PM   #3239
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Except they've had top 10 offenses with running backs like Raheem Mostert, Jeff Wilson, Matt Breida, Tevin Coleman etc...The 49ers are the most loaded team in recent memory, on both sides of the ball. If they don't have significant losses to injury coming in then not winning the Super Bowl will be a massive choke.
Old 12-14-2023, 04:54 PM   #3240
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aidan O’Connell v Easton Stick tonight. Should be another great TNF matchup.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote