Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2022, 01:45 PM   #1601
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Flight delays on a Friday suck. Delayed 4 hours and then when we finally board we get to sit on the plane for another hour and counting...
Thank God they have the ac running.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 02:16 PM   #1602
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
We apparently have a wasp nest in our driveway that has some cracks in it. WTF? I thought wasps always make nests up high or at least not in the ground.

I've sprayed the area with wasp killer multiple times but always find more.
One time at work I parked my tailpipe right over their front door parking my car in the alley, which was right over some piled up discarded pavers that had been a walk way the owner removed. Stepped out of the vehicle into a swarm, got bitten at least ten times. The whole crew were laughing their asses off (me too, really, once the shock wore off) because the bastards were inside my jeans coming out of the holes in the knees.

/cool story bro.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 05:11 PM   #1603
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Hire an exterminator, or get the 'kill powder' that they use, and powder the heck out of those cracks.
Yes, exterminator is the way to go. We just had one kill a nest that was somewhere in our soffit. He sprayed, and then hung a trap. For $185.00 it was worth it, and they were gone in a few days. We used Peckitt Pest Solutions, and they were great.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 05:23 PM   #1604
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

#### you UPS. You're brown because you're ####.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 05:34 PM   #1605
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Yes, exterminator is the way to go. We just had one kill a nest that was somewhere in our soffit. He sprayed, and then hung a trap. For $185.00 it was worth it, and they were gone in a few days. We used Peckitt Pest Solutions, and they were great.
I've used Lavellan Pest Solutions twice. Once for unseen wasps nests in the deck door 'somewhere'. The wasps were getting inside of the house. They came over right away and sprayed that kill powder around. When I ended up pulling the jamb apart to put a new door in, I found 3 massive nests.

A couple years later, they were back and set up under the cement pad just outside of my main door. Gave Lavellan a call...guy shows up in HALF AN HOUR. Dusts up the area, seals it with dirt (I provided) and tells me that if they survive that, let him know and he'll come back to finish them off.

They didn't survive it.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:07 PM   #1606
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
How about not driving so close to the curb that it is an issue?
A pedestrian standing at the curb waiting for the light to change is stationary. Just like, don’t take that extra step before you stop, and you’ll get exactly where you need to be at the exact same time.

Traffic on the other hand is thousands upon thousands of pounds moving is several directions all at once. The margin of error that might out a mirror or side of a high cube chassis over the curb is way tighter than a pedestrian not being a dummy.

It’s like the simplest thing in the world someone can do to improve safety yet they stand right where the road meets the sidewalk like it’s the start line at an Olympic sprint.
Old 08-12-2022, 09:35 PM   #1607
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
It’s like the simplest thing in the world someone can do to improve safety yet they stand right where the road meets the sidewalk like it’s the start line at an Olympic sprint.
The problem here is asking people to be the most important factor in their own safety. Not the way the world works any more.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:45 PM   #1608
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Flight delays on a Friday suck. Delayed 4 hours and then when we finally board we get to sit on the plane for another hour and counting...
Thank God they have the ac running.
Flight delays are on the Mount Rushmore of gear grinders.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:22 PM   #1609
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
How close are you driving to the curb that you fear hitting some toes? or a jacket or headphones?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 11:02 PM   #1610
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
A pedestrian standing at the curb waiting for the light to change is stationary. Just like, don’t take that extra step before you stop, and you’ll get exactly where you need to be at the exact same time.

Traffic on the other hand is thousands upon thousands of pounds moving is several directions all at once. The margin of error that might out a mirror or side of a high cube chassis over the curb is way tighter than a pedestrian not being a dummy.

How is this the pedestrians fault. The sidewalk and curb are not for cars
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 11:21 PM   #1611
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Situational awareness. Stand back from hazardous conditions because it’s stupid not too.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 11:49 PM   #1612
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not live on the edge a little.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 11:16 AM   #1613
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is Calgary. EVERYTHING is for cars.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2022, 11:20 AM   #1614
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Situational awareness. Stand back from hazardous conditions because it’s stupid not too.
It’s also just how to not be a complete ####### out there. Work with traffic, for your safety and for everyone else’s sanity. People are so selfish. I make it clear as day if I intent to cross or not, and stand way back when I don’t so that the people trying to turn aren’t asking themselves “is this ####ing moron crossing or not!?”

Stand back from the curb, make eye contact with the operators of vehicles when you are going to cross their path, etc. This is preschool level stuff.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2022, 11:29 AM   #1615
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

When cars were first becoming mainstream and pedestrians started dying en masse in vehicle vs ped collisions for the first time, it was actually the car manufacturers who went on a marketing blitz to convince the public it was the people walking who were at fault, not these new giant metal beasts ripping around the cities. Clearly it was incredibly effective because it’s still perpetuated even today.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/201...alking-history
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 11:29 AM   #1616
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Clearly one's indignation over having to give way whilst being in the right by the letter of the law overrides any practical requirement to take preventative measures against ... "getting hit by a 4,000 lb. hunk of rolling steel".
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2022, 11:58 AM   #1617
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Common sense isn't common. Self preservation? Just as rare. Making matters worse has been the cell phone. On both sides.

On one side, pedestrians with their eyes glued to their phone whilst walking. Can't count how many times ive seen ppl snap into a panic because they've blundered into the crosswalk when it's not their turn to cross. It's fine if they own up to their mistake and wave and mouth "my bad". But I truly want to keep my foot on the pedal when it comes to the ones who stop, cause a scene while giving you and anyone else paying attention the finger.

And on the other side. God damned effing drivers who can't keep their hands or their eyes away from a effing phone while driving. I hate you more with the power of a billion effing sun's you dumb self entitled sons a bee stings. I'd get out and road rage at every single one of you and risk taking assault charges. That kind of ignorance and ego makes me beyond mad. So beyond mad.

Man, woman or youth, you drive while using your cell phone? You're worse than pond scum. And I dearly wish to slap yall.

Sorry, a bit of a rant.

Anyways, pedestrians, be smart, don't make drivers sec9nd guess your intent at crosswalks, give space . Drivers, well, holy cow are we an angry bunch. It's non stop aggression. And for the most part, aggression by selfish desires to move unencumbered by other road users.

But I also believe fully we, both drivers and pedestrians can all collectively give a big fat middle finger to cyclists.

Numpties who blatantly disregard all traffic rules and cause everyone un needed angst.

You see turn signals? Don't dive into the corner or around the vehicle in front of you. Self preservation...

God I hate cyclists.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:28 PM   #1618
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 01:25 PM   #1619
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Go ahead and hang ten that sidewalk. You’re “dead right” about it being ok.
But consider that whilst the majority of drivers will avoid you… what if you get bumped? What if that vehicle is long or has a trailer that cuts the corner (statistically speaking this is one of the more likely ways to do from that habit).

Lastly… really it’s only in Canada that I’ve repeatedly heard it expressed that you have the right to be there. Sure, you do. Travel the world and you’ll see most other cultures start with “the vehicle will win in a fight so maybe avoid them and watch yourself…”. Basically take some responsibility for reducing your own risk.

Last edited by RichieRich; 08-13-2022 at 04:07 PM.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 01:38 PM   #1620
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Common sense isn't common. Self preservation? Just as rare. Making matters worse has been the cell phone. On both sides.

On one side, pedestrians with their eyes glued to their phone whilst walking. Can't count how many times ive seen ppl snap into a panic because they've blundered into the crosswalk when it's not their turn to cross. It's fine if they own up to their mistake and wave and mouth "my bad". But I truly want to keep my foot on the pedal when it comes to the ones who stop, cause a scene while giving you and anyone else paying attention the finger.

And on the other side. God damned effing drivers who can't keep their hands or their eyes away from a effing phone while driving. I hate you more with the power of a billion effing sun's you dumb self entitled sons a bee stings. I'd get out and road rage at every single one of you and risk taking assault charges. That kind of ignorance and ego makes me beyond mad. So beyond mad.

Man, woman or youth, you drive while using your cell phone? You're worse than pond scum. And I dearly wish to slap yall.

Sorry, a bit of a rant.

Anyways, pedestrians, be smart, don't make drivers sec9nd guess your intent at crosswalks, give space . Drivers, well, holy cow are we an angry bunch. It's non stop aggression. And for the most part, aggression by selfish desires to move unencumbered by other road users.

But I also believe fully we, both drivers and pedestrians can all collectively give a big fat middle finger to cyclists.

Numpties who blatantly disregard all traffic rules and cause everyone un needed angst.

You see turn signals? Don't dive into the corner or around the vehicle in front of you. Self preservation...

God I hate cyclists.
I have ranted about this a million times, but we have to breed better pedestrians.

Having 'Right of Way' is all well and good, but its small consolation if you get hit by a car.

I love it when a pedestrian looks into traffic, makes eye-contact, makes sure they see me and I see them and that traffic is stopping for them before just stepping into the road.

But too often you see the pedestrians with their headphones in, hoodie up and eyes glued to the phone and just walking into the street without making sure its safe.

"Oh, they'll stop for me, I have the right of way!!"

Cyclists are just a Wild Card. You just never know what they're going to do, I try and avoid them like the plague.

There are good ones and there are terrible ones, but you never know which is which and they are unpredictable.

Even just today, I was behind a cyclist and he was on the road then quickly pulled over into a crosswalk through an intersection and then proceeded on the sidewalk.

Okay, nothing bad happened there, but prior to him doing that was there any way I could have predicted he'd switch from vehicle to pedestrian on a whim? Not a chance.

And regardless of whether you're a Cyclist, Pedestrian or Motorist, you have to be aware of whats happening around you. You can listen to music, but make sure you can still hear whats happening around, you should never deprive yourself of one of your senses when in any form of traffic.

Do you need to have your hoodie up to kill your peripheral vision? Do you need to have your music so loud you cant hear ambient noise? Do you need to be looking at your cell phone tunneling your sight away from your surroundings?

Its just common sense but it happens so often and thats how bad things occur.

And honestly, I'll echo your sentiment about cell phones and driving. Easily one of the most dangerous things you can do. If you're looking at your cell phone you are not paying attention to what is happening around you and even slow traffic moves fast.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: