Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2022, 12:41 PM   #521
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I maintain every one should die from lightsaber impalement.

Reva getting off planet and going on a mission the next episode after getting Qui-Gon'ed was nutty.

If they normalize surviving that then they're lessening the stakes in future material.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 12:54 PM   #522
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

Reva getting off planet and going on a mission the next episode after getting Qui-Gon'ed was nutty.

If they normalize surviving that then they're lessening the stakes in future material.
They were really pushing the narrative that the Jedi accept their deaths as part of the plan, and get rewarded via some kind of force afterlife. Meanwhile, the Sith stew in their revenge and hold on, but the life they lead is torturous....I agree with what you said though, both Reva and the Grand Inquisitor (neither of which have especially great mastery of the force) got impaled on light sabers and seemed to just walk it off.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:16 PM   #523
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
They were really pushing the narrative that the Jedi accept their deaths as part of the plan, and get rewarded via some kind of force afterlife. Meanwhile, the Sith stew in their revenge and hold on, but the life they lead is torturous....I agree with what you said though, both Reva and the Grand Inquisitor (neither of which have especially great mastery of the force) got impaled on light sabers and seemed to just walk it off.
Well...Bacta tanks are miraculous things.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:35 PM   #524
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well...Bacta tanks are miraculous things.
Plus assuming the lightsaber missing any vital organs, it self-cauterizes the wound. That should give someone enough time to get some basic treatment at least
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 01:41 PM   #525
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Agreed, the fact they didn't even toss in a bacta tank reference or even a lazy explanation for how she healed was really puzzling to me. It was pretty clear she was going to survive after she found the homing beacon, but to be walking around with a lightsaber hole in your stomach is wild even for Disney. I had read somewhere that the Grand Inquisitor's species has two stomachs, which I guess makes some sense for him surviving.

Poor Qui-Gon, he's gonna have Obi-Wan doing sit-ups next season to survive any potential impalements. Maybe that's what he meant when he made Obi-Wan promise to train the boy.
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:46 PM   #526
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Being able to let go and to sacrifice for the greater good is key to the Jedi philosophy. That's why the ultimate sacrifice allows the Jedi to become part of the living force. Also its why Jedi don't form attachments, because they also believe that those that are around them might have to die to achieve the Jedi's goals.

For the Sith, their whole philosophy is about breaking the chains that hold greater beings (Force Users) down. Those chains are the mundane non force users for example, their doubts, compassion, sympathy. They see Death as the ultimate loss of power. That's why Plagueis and Sidious were so obsessed with finding a way to manipulate the Midi-Chlorians to not only save life in others but also themselves so they can achieve immortality. The Sith don't believe in sacrificing themselves to achieve an end. Not when their power is the manipulation of the Force.

The desire to hold onto life for the Sith's is not about revenge, Its not about rage, or hate. Its about fear . . . the fear of losing their power. The Sith also gain their power by focusing on themselves, putting themselves first, and by doing this and preserving their lives while gaining power, it allows them to rule others and bring justice and order to a galaxy filled with non force users who are only good enough to serve and not rule.

With the Jedi, they don't think about themselves, they are only concerned with others. That's why they can let go of their attachments and themselves to achieve the higher notion of a galaxy that is democratic among non force users. Jedi used to rule the Republic, but they gave that up because it always lead to wars against Sith because to the Jedi gaining power over others or ruling others leads to the Dark Side.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 02:25 PM   #527
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Reva and Grand Inquisitor are amateurs. try having your bones shattered into a thousand pieces and re-assembling yourself through the power of sheer hatred

Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 02:30 PM   #528
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Being able to let go and to sacrifice for the greater good is key to the Jedi philosophy. That's why the ultimate sacrifice allows the Jedi to become part of the living force. Also its why Jedi don't form attachments, because they also believe that those that are around them might have to die to achieve the Jedi's goals.
This was made painfully clear in the original film (ANH). Obi Wan clearly lets Vader strike him with that final blow. He knows it's his time and that he will remain a part of the force.

His famous quote:

Quote:
If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:10 AM   #529
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

For the Sith, their whole philosophy is about breaking the chains that hold greater beings (Force Users) down. Those chains are the mundane non force users for example, their doubts, compassion, sympathy. They see Death as the ultimate loss of power. That's why Plagueis and Sidious were so obsessed with finding a way to manipulate the Midi-Chlorians to not only save life in others but also themselves so they can achieve immortality. The Sith don't believe in sacrificing themselves to achieve an end. Not when their power is the manipulation of the Force.

The desire to hold onto life for the Sith's is not about revenge, Its not about rage, or hate. Its about fear . . . the fear of losing their power. The Sith also gain their power by focusing on themselves, putting themselves first, and by doing this and preserving their lives while gaining power, it allows them to rule others and bring justice and order to a galaxy filled with non force users who are only good enough to serve and not rule.

With the Jedi, they don't think about themselves, they are only concerned with others. That's why they can let go of their attachments and themselves to achieve the higher notion of a galaxy that is democratic among non force users. Jedi used to rule the Republic, but they gave that up because it always lead to wars against Sith because to the Jedi gaining power over others or ruling others leads to the Dark Side.
Again proving the sequels are dumb AF. Everyone just running around force healing. (with no training)
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:12 AM   #530
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Again proving the sequels are dumb AF. Everyone just running around force healing. (with no training)

It was weird to say the least. I mean fine, I'm giving up my life force to heal another person. Its the ultimate sacrifice. But if it was a thing you would have really seen it in the PT especially after Anakin and Obi-Wan were both badly wounded against Dooku, but you didn't see Yoda running over to heal them.

Also maybe I'm dumb, or maybe I just didn't want to look that deep because I hated what they did with Sith Lore and Palpatine in the ST. But was the Sidious in the temple the original ancient Sidious that was just controlling Snoke clones of himself. Or was he a clone that Sidious' spirit filled?

I could look it up on Wookiepedia, but like I said, I just hated the whole idea of Palpatine calling for his own sacrifice to Ray.

Even in the Legends EU, when Bane attempted essence transfer, it was to destroy his enemy and take over their body.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 02:53 PM   #531
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Star Wars outside of the original trilogy is just silly made up magic powers whenever the plot requires it.

In the original trilogy, Force powers were quite subdued. You could mind trick someone or use mild telekinesis and minor acrobatics. Even Master Yoda took a lot of concentration to lift up an X-Wing.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 03:56 PM   #532
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I realized the core story in this series would've made an excellent third prequel movie.

Man the PT was a major blown opportunity.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:06 PM   #533
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Star Wars outside of the original trilogy is just silly made up magic powers whenever the plot requires it.

In the original trilogy, Force powers were quite subdued. You could mind trick someone or use mild telekinesis and minor acrobatics. Even Master Yoda took a lot of concentration to lift up an X-Wing.

I liked the idea of seeing the Jedi at their height in the OT, and really they didn't have super exaggerated power. I mean we saw force speed, We saw Sidious' lightning. We saw clearly trained swordsmen. If there were cringing force moments in was the ST with Sidious' fleet killing lightning. Rey lifting a field of boulders after getting 3 hours of training.

When we look at the force users that were left. Yoda was 900 years old and at the end of life, so he was weakened. Luke was relatively untrained compared to the Jedi in the PT. Vader was rusty but also a old battered man. Ben was basically out of practice and old, and looking for his sacrifice. Sidious still retained his power and he should have been the most sneakily powerful force user of his time.

At the time of the Phantom Menace you could argue that the Jedi were at their height of power. In AOTC, we saw the acendance of Sidious, the Jedi arrogance and the tipping of the Force to the Dark side was starting to deny the Jedi their power. By the time of ROTS the Force was completely tinted to the Dark Side. Even Yoda couldn't beat Sidious. But that was the will of the Force, that it was the end of the Jedi, the great metaphysical purge.

By the time of ROTJ, that had flipped on its ear. Sidious who could see events through the force had been blinded by his own arrogance and lack of challenge and the Force tipped back towards the light side.

In the end though, the balance of the force promised by the prophesy had indeed been misread. by dying and killing off in theory Sidious and even leaving just Luke as pretty much the sole Force user in the galaxy, the Force had tipped to the Light side, which put the force back out of balance again.

I suppose at the end of the ST, that Rey encompassed the light side, and the dark side by her bloodline and left the Force in a state of grey.

Old 06-28-2022, 06:25 PM   #534
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I realized the core story in this series would've made an excellent third prequel movie.

I've heard the story was actually developed for a movie initially, then after Solo wasn't as successful as hoped they transitioned to doing a TV series.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:54 PM   #535
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

I do miss when force powers were rarely possessed and took a lot of training and focus to muster just in mildly impressive ways.

They've sure cheapened it since.

Mind-probing and suspending a blaster shot in mid air, and now taking a ship down from the sky has blown the force into ridiculous territory.

It was actually mystical and awe-inspiring in the OT films. It's just too easily summoned and manipulated now.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:59 PM   #536
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post

So consolidate the best bits of episode I and II into one film, have revenge of the sith as episode II and the trimmed down version of this show sans Reva and a bit of Vader's rise to power as episode III?

Yeah that would make for an improved PT.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 09:14 PM   #537
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I do miss when force powers were rarely possessed and took a lot of training and focus to muster just in mildly impressive ways.

Mind-probing and suspending a blaster shot in mid air, and now taking a ship down from the sky has blown the force into ridiculous territory.

It was actually mystical and awe-inspiring in the OT films. It's just too easily summoned and manipulated now.
I liked the initial portrayal of the force and more of being in touch with an instinctive force that was inherent in the universe. It was more about being in touch with the nature of the universe then being able to perform huge feats of power. For example, Luke's biggest feet in ANH was knowing exactly when to fire during the trench run.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:24 PM   #538
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I liked the initial portrayal of the force and more of being in touch with an instinctive force that was inherent in the universe. It was more about being in touch with the nature of the universe then being able to perform huge feats of power. For example, Luke's biggest feet in ANH was knowing exactly when to fire during the trench run.
I have no idea what that would have to do with his shoe size?

Is this like a podiatry based force power? Kind of like a Reverse Pinocchio?

"When you use The Force your feet shall grow!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 11:13 PM   #539
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
As someone that leans towards the spiritual I found it to be a great portrayal as well.

It kind of ties into our natural 'gut' instincts IRL a how it can pay off to trust your feelings and we have no science for how relying on intuition can work out so well sometimes.

Now in the show everybody is Magneto, and trying to out-flex one another.

Maybe this is why Mando resonates with people more. It's mostly centered around non force sensitives, and baby yoda's occasional use of the force takes it back to the roots as it actually takes a toll on him to summon.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:31 AM   #540
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

LOL don't read the Legends EU books.

Using the Force to explode suns. Pull Star Destroyers out of the sky, pushing a super star destroyer out of the solar system. Pulling a ship out of the core of a son.

The Force because the ultimate, I've written myself into the corner, but the force can do everything.

Most writers focused on the size matters not aspect of the force.