Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2022, 02:29 PM   #3521
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yep a lot of changes the last 2 years to paths and certainly in and around the core area. The Eau Claire area is a bit of a gong show. Be sure to go slow and look out for those on cells and going too fast. The uptick in bike traffic the last 2-3 weeks has been significant. At least there’s enough light now to consistent see people early morning without any lighting.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:22 PM   #3522
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Bow Valley Parkway will be closed to vehicle again this summer to allow cyclists easy access although the road will be open during the peak summer months from June 26 to the end of August.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...erta-1.6434800
I understand the desire to allow vehicles at the peak, but it seems so obvious to make it 1-way only from Fireside to Johnstons Canyon with the other lane for 2-way non-motorized.

They need to address parking at the eastern terminus of the 1A, but that could be easily done by killing the EB TCH->WB 1A exit (easy alternative of the Norquay overpass 5km away, but that should be a really rare movement anyways)...this is hard to explain but basically the WB TCH exit would stay the same, but the portion to/from EB TCH would become EB only (exiting back onto TCH EB). This would free up a lane of pavement for parking and/or dedicated lane for non-motorized traffic from the Legacy Path to the classic park gates at the Fireside turnoff.

https://goo.gl/maps/y2wFBgbRXvo7BDNeA (left side of yellow becomes EB only, right side becomes parking, pave the gravel shoulder+barrier as MUP.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2022, 05:20 PM   #3523
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I understand the desire to allow vehicles at the peak, but it seems so obvious to make it 1-way only from Fireside to Johnstons Canyon with the other lane for 2-way non-motorized.
100%. The parkway is an amazing tourism opportunity that also fits with the conservation mandate of the parks but as usual they’re overweighting the needs of users in cars (who can go just about anywhere else in the province).
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 09:48 AM   #3524
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

It should be 1 way all the way to Castle and they should close Johnston Canyon Hike to anything but buses.

The 6k hike and bike from Castle to Johnston was amazing during Covid. You had 3 year olds on striders doing it
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2022, 02:27 PM   #3525
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It should be 1 way all the way to Castle and they should close Johnston Canyon Hike to anything but buses.

The 6k hike and bike from Castle to Johnston was amazing during Covid. You had 3 year olds on striders doing it
It's a bigger conversation about BNP as a whole, but I'd like to see them charge for parking at places JC and work out a heavily subsidized Roam Transit Pass for AB residents as an add-on (or forced inclusion) to annual park passes.

Starting in late May local transit (not incl. Canmore/LL/JC regional routes) will be free for Banff residents. I believe Canmore local is already free for everyone. The regional routes are good, but they haven't found a fare structure to facilitate occasional-moderate use (seems like you can buy a 10 pass for each route without any crossover).

It seems like Parks Canada is finally trialling paid-parking at Lake Louise-shore (but not yet Moraine Lake). They really got it backwards with free parking and charged shuttles (which now seem to require reservations?)

By all accounts the transit/shuttle services are great, but I think they're actually a bit too complicated/costly/inconvenient for day-trippers to bother with (especially with families). It wouldn't be hard to fix with a few simple changes to incentivize/disincentivize certain modes.
Old 04-30-2022, 02:39 PM   #3526
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

They need to address parking at the eastern terminus of the 1A
One way traffic with a dedicated bike lane would be an ideal solution I think. I also think that when they do close down the road for cyclists they need to allow parking at Fireside because parking around the gate and under the overpass is ridiculously limited and it is stupid not utilize that additional parking area.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2022, 03:10 PM   #3527
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
It's a bigger conversation about BNP as a whole, but I'd like to see them charge for parking at places JC and work out a heavily subsidized Roam Transit Pass for AB residents as an add-on (or forced inclusion) to annual park passes.

Starting in late May local transit (not incl. Canmore/LL/JC regional routes) will be free for Banff residents. I believe Canmore local is already free for everyone. The regional routes are good, but they haven't found a fare structure to facilitate occasional-moderate use (seems like you can buy a 10 pass for each route without any crossover).

It seems like Parks Canada is finally trialling paid-parking at Lake Louise-shore (but not yet Moraine Lake). They really got it backwards with free parking and charged shuttles (which now seem to require reservations?)

By all accounts the transit/shuttle services are great, but I think they're actually a bit too complicated/costly/inconvenient for day-trippers to bother with (especially with families). It wouldn't be hard to fix with a few simple changes to incentivize/disincentivize certain modes.
Don’t get me started on the stupidity of having the scarce more desirable resource of parking being free and the much less convenient method costing money. There should be dynamic parking rates at LL and JC and Moraine where the price just continues to rise as there are fewer spaces available. Then use that money to subsidize transit in the park. Parking in peak times should start at $50 per car.

The shuttles need reservations because demand is high and they can’t keep up.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2022, 04:05 PM   #3528
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One way traffic with a dedicated bike lane would be an ideal solution I think. I also think that when they do close down the road for cyclists they need to allow parking at Fireside because parking around the gate and under the overpass is ridiculously limited and it is stupid not utilize that additional parking area.
I think Fireside was closed in 2020 (maybe 2021 too?) due to flooding - looks like the trailhead bridge got wiped out, and you can also see on google maps a secondary runout from the creek that might have washed out the access road. Not sure if there is really surplus parking there on busy days though? Seems reasonable to keep it for hikers and make cyclists ride the extra few clicks along Vermilion Lakes (how we did it last year).

Parking at the Train Station/Rec Centre is becoming a decent option, but that stretch of road (with the Banff sign) has become a ####show. They need to invest more in the pedestrian experience, and move the ####ing sign!
Old 04-30-2022, 05:39 PM   #3529
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got out around bow bottom flats today on my mtn bike. First ride since it had a major tune up and it felt like new.

I love riding this bike, and bought it at the right time two years ago.
Old 05-01-2022, 07:02 PM   #3530
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

dang this wind the last few days.

It's worthwhile getting out early with the sun despite the cold just to have almost no wind and then hopefully time things and your route so you get a nice tailwind push home.

Still running the heavier-duty "spring" tires to help reduce risk of flats out on the highways and paved backcountry roads.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:07 PM   #3531
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Put in more smiles in fish creek again today.

Was thinking of hitting up McKinnon flats, but got working in the morning and did not feel like making the drive.

Rode up on top of the west (I think) ridge today for a change - Shannon terrace maybe.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:20 PM   #3532
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Did the bow valley parkway today, and discovered that they have made it impossible to park at the entrance to it off highway 1. A bunch of barriers up and only a one way lane that turns you around back westbound on highway 1 to force you to go back and park in Banff. Too bad, since I was usually there early enough that it was easy to park there and get right on the 1A without having to do the pathway section.

Still a great ride, though today was grey and kind of windy.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:00 PM   #3533
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

So where to park now?
Old 05-04-2022, 11:09 PM   #3534
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Fenlands Rec center parking lot works well. You just cross the road and take the path onto the vermillion lake road and onto the pathway from there.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:23 AM   #3535
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That lot usually fills up by 10:30 or so. Adding the extra vehicles will have people out of luck.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:58 AM   #3536
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Fenlands Rec center parking lot works well. You just cross the road and take the path onto the vermillion lake road and onto the pathway from there.
The thing that sucks about that is trying to ride with kids is now basically impossible. From the rec centre or train station it is about 7km each way. That is a lot of extra distance for little legs to handle.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2022, 07:15 AM   #3537
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Park at Johnson Canyon maybe? Unfortunately it means you have to do the big hill as part of your loop.
Old 05-05-2022, 08:47 AM   #3538
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Park at Johnson Canyon maybe? Unfortunately it means you have to do the big hill as part of your loop.
Isn't that next to impossible during the summer? Johnson Canyon has always been overloaded when I've been.
Old 05-05-2022, 08:56 AM   #3539
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Isn't that next to impossible during the summer? Johnson Canyon has always been overloaded when I've been.
You'd definitely have to get there early.

They should move the gate down the road a touch to allow access to the gravel area here and up the road:
https://goo.gl/maps/DQ4ddbAkRgNsRT287

And add some parking. Just removing that row of trees and opening into the grass area would be a big help. It's still early in this whole trial, but that would add some much needed parking room. By moving the gate, it would also allow the other parking area to be used with less conflict.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:05 AM   #3540
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You'd definitely have to get there early.

They should move the gate down the road a touch to allow access to the gravel area here and up the road:
https://goo.gl/maps/DQ4ddbAkRgNsRT287

And add some parking. Just removing that row of trees and opening into the grass area would be a big help. It's still early in this whole trial, but that would add some much needed parking room. By moving the gate, it would also allow the other parking area to be used with less conflict.
I'm sure that removing any trees would require a significant and lengthy environment assessment.