Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2021, 06:21 PM   #2561
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

So 3, maybe 4 seasons left of the Saddledome? We need a new arena desperately but it will be a sad day when that building is no longer there. It’s become an iconic part of our skyline.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 07:35 PM   #2562
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1419830479935578112

So, CSEC will be the development manager in partnership with an established sports development manager instead of CMLC. In exchange, the City's costs are fixed and CSEC will be on the hook for any excess.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:39 PM   #2563
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1419830479935578112

So, CSEC will be the development manager in partnership with an established sports development manager instead of CMLC. In exchange, the City's costs are fixed and CSEC will be on the hook for any excess.
So likely a pared down building then?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:49 PM   #2564
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
So likely a pared down building then?
I don't know, I'd think there is less likelihood of a scaled down version, now that the city's costs are fixed
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 08:05 PM   #2565
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
When the city took over ownership of the west end they agreed to clean up the creosote problem. I have lived in Calgary since 1975 and nothing has been done, the land is valueless unless the city does it's job and has exactly zero tax revenue posibility. CSEC was basically forcing the issue and the city used every excuse to make sure it didn't happen so that they would never have to address the creosote problem.
Yes manage the clean up, but there has also always been the belief/hope that the current owners of the original company would be on the hook and/or other branches of gov't to help. Obviously that is taking forever to resolve.

Of course the remediated land will be much more valuable. Numbers are out of my butt since it's been so long since this came up, but the scenarios are fairly simple:

A. CSEC could have helped the city with ~20% of the cost but we'd lose ~50% of land available for revenue generation.
or
B. The city can let it play out, hope costs are defrayed one way or the other, and maintain 100% of future revenue.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:17 PM   #2566
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I don't know, I'd think there is less likelihood of a scaled down version, now that the city's costs are fixed
Agreed.

I think with things announced today, this arena skips past some red tape and politics involved potentially in the future with the City. The CMLC, as although they are technically arms length from the City, if they don’t like something proposed or there is some people with agenda not liking the CESC, they’re running to council or Nenshi to complain and hang that threat over the Flames. This eliminates that.

The Oilers rink got neutered from the original design and aesthetic, in part due to overruns and inability to decide who pays for it when construction was well along.

Hopefully the Flames don’t have that occur but at least it then falls on them 100% from any original designs if things get going any snags occur and they have to make quick decisions...and we don’t get some compromised design because it had to be run through the various filters of civic government like up north.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 08:36 PM   #2567
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Yes manage the clean up, but there has also always been the belief/hope that the current owners of the original company would be on the hook and/or other branches of gov't to help. Obviously that is taking forever to resolve.

Of course the remediated land will be much more valuable. Numbers are out of my butt since it's been so long since this came up, but the scenarios are fairly simple:

A. CSEC could have helped the city with ~20% of the cost but we'd lose ~50% of land available for revenue generation.
or
B. The city can let it play out, hope costs are defrayed one way or the other, and maintain 100% of future revenue.
No, do the cleanup. Started out at $30 M cost estimate and with dithering by the city it is over $ 300 M. This is not the developers problems it is all the City of Calgary. No developer will ever agree to work on that land until it is cleaned up, so there is no future revenue.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 10:04 PM   #2568
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, do the cleanup. Started out at $30 M cost estimate and with dithering by the city it is over $ 300 M. This is not the developers problems it is all the City of Calgary. No developer will ever agree to work on that land until it is cleaned up, so there is no future revenue.
I never claimed the developers would. Domtar and/or feds. Aka the polluter or the regulator who failed to regulate the polluter.

I wouldn't be opposed to doing the cleanup anytime, but development there would simply cannibalize completion of EV.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 11:03 PM   #2569
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like there will be discussion at council on Tuesday. Could this go to yet another vote.. or is it a done deal?
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:01 AM   #2570
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

"City administration told council that the design plan will be finalized for the development permit submission this week. Construction is set to start in December this year, with expected completion by August 2024."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...osts-1.6117877

Should see some renderings this week.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 10:23 AM   #2571
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbr View Post
sounds like there will be discussion at council on tuesday. Could this go to yet another vote.. Or is it a done deal?
I think it's this.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1419745415705079808

I can't be positive (because, council), but it's a done deal they are just working on some changes to the deal. I don't think there will be a vote to cancel the arena or anything like that.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:55 AM   #2572
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, the delay is inexcusable, notwithstanding who gets the final bill. It’s like waiting to treat your lung cancer because you are suing a tobacco company and you don’t know who’s responsible yet.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #2573
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yes, the delay is inexcusable, notwithstanding who gets the final bill. It’s like waiting to treat your lung cancer because you are suing a tobacco company and you don’t know who’s responsible yet.
Agree totally. The issue to me is that this one thing shows the city not being able to fully understand or comprehend what they sign most of the time (and this has been going on since Al Duer was mayor). Was Calgary Next a good project, no it was not. Is the new arena a good deal, probably because CSEC has to put up over 50% of the money. Were CSEC ever going to have CMLC (city owned management company) run the project, no they weren't because why would CSEC look at the city and have faith they will ever perform the deal to the agreed upon contract.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:57 PM   #2574
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1420139452836483086

Hopefully, this will all be settled tomorrow afternoon.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:09 PM   #2575
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I didn't realize inverted bowl was still on the table. Shame that it didn't work out, I think it would have been really cool.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm bummed about the inverted bowl being scrapped. Would have been unique with upper deck being on top of the action. I hope they don't water it down too much now and we end up with a generic, bland design. I don't even want edmonton's arena. From what I've heard, the upper deck isn't much better than the Saddledome. Cramped, no washrooms, no concessions. Never actually been in it though so going on hearsay.

Last edited by Scary Eloranta; 07-27-2021 at 04:20 PM.
Scary Eloranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:16 PM   #2576
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I thought the benefit of the inverted was that it was cheaper in terms for cost of steel and had a smaller footprint.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 04:24 PM   #2577
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Eloranta View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I'm bummed about the inverted bowl being scrapped. Would have been unique with upper deck being on top of the action. I hope they don't water it down too much now and we end up with a generic, bland design. I don't even want edmonton's arena. From what I've heard, the upper deck isn't much better than the Saddledome. Cramped, no washrooms, no concessions. Never actually been in it though so going on hearsay.
IMO the upper deck of Rogers is far worse than the saddledome. I know people who refuse to sit on the second deck because it is too steep and it triggers their fear of heights. by experience, you can't lean forward at all in the seat without pissing off the people behind you and blocking their view of the ice.
It really feels like 2 tier fandom.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:26 PM   #2578
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
IMO the upper deck of Rogers is far worse than the saddledome. I know people who refuse to sit on the second deck because it is too steep and it triggers their fear of heights. by experience, you can't lean forward at all in the seat without pissing off the people behind you and blocking their view of the ice.

It really feels like 2 tier fandom.
The inverted bowl concept would have been even steeper, I believe. I'm glad they didn't go with that design - a bit too risky to be the first to implement it.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:28 PM   #2579
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
The inverted bowl concept would have been even steeper, I believe. I'm glad they didn't go with that design - a bit too risky to be the first to implement it.
Yeah I think even the renderings they had plexiglass between rows up high to prevent from falling over each other.

Good in theory, until someone falls out of the rafters into the player's bench.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:34 PM   #2580
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Something doesn't add up here. Taxpayers were on the hook for cost overruns previously, and now in exchange for paying $12.5m and agreeing to remove the CMLC as project managers, the Flames are willing to take on the cost overruns? Several councillors stated at the time of their "yes" vote that a major reason was that the CMLC would be in charge, and given their record of delivering projects on time and on budget, combined with the oversight it would give council, I could understand it, even though I still feel as though it was a bad deal for taxpayers.

Of the fifteen voting members of council, only Chu, Carra, Colley-Urquhart, Demong, and possibly Magliocca will be up for re-election. It is likely that one of Gondek, Davison, or Farkas will be elected mayor, meaning that we're guaranteed at least nine new council members, and more than likely ten given Magliocca's expense "issues."

It will certainly be interesting to see who the retiring members of Coucil end up working for in private life.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote