Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Event Forums > COVID-19 Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #9961
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

with the J&J news.. isn't that the vaccine Canada has really been behind since day one?
Old 01-22-2021, 03:06 PM   #9962
Jiri Hrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
with the J&J news.. isn't that the vaccine Canada has really been behind since day one?
This article says Canada has an agreement for 38M doses

https://ipolitics.ca/2021/01/14/cana...hnson-vaccine/

So yeah potential game changer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 03:27 PM   #9963
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
This article says Canada has an agreement for 38M doses

https://ipolitics.ca/2021/01/14/cana...hnson-vaccine/

So yeah potential game changer.
I believe only 10M of those are confirmed, the rest are options. And given Johnson & Johnson's production issues (it recently came out that they're up to 2 months behind where they planned to be by now), the options probably won't get exercised since they'd be here too late to really matter.

Still, given that it's a 1-dose vaccine, 10M doses will cover 10M people. So if it proves effective it should definitely speed things up through quarters 2 and 3.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 03:36 PM   #9964
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I believe only 10M of those are confirmed, the rest are options. And given Johnson & Johnson's production issues (it recently came out that they're up to 2 months behind where they planned to be by now), the options probably won't get exercised since they'd be here too late to really matter.

Still, given that it's a 1-dose vaccine, 10M doses will cover 10M people. So if it proves effective it should definitely speed things up through quarters 2 and 3.
And I guess "proves" effective is still a question. Last I read they were at about 90% though, so it sounds very promising.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:48 PM   #9965
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
And I guess "proves" effective is still a question. Last I read they were at about 90% though, so it sounds very promising.
That 90% was for antibody production after 29 days during the phase 1 trial, not efficacy (eventually it rose to 100% after 57 days). Every vaccine that proceeds to phase 3 trials comes in around there. The Oxford vaccine for instance had antibody production in 91-100% of participants (depending on how it was measured) after 28 days and 100% after the booster shot, but the efficacy of the trialed dosage only ended up being 62% effective.

Efficacy results (even preliminary ones) from the Phase 3 trials for the Johnson and Johnson vaccine haven't been released yet, so at this point we're just guessing. Chances are it will be effective, but there's always a risk that the single dose won't work as well as they had hoped, which is why they began a two dose Phase 3 trial as well, but that likely won't be concluded for several months.
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 03:51 PM   #9966
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
That 90% was for antibody production after 29 days during the phase 1 trial, not efficacy (eventually it rose to 100% after 57 days). Every vaccine that proceeds to phase 3 trials comes in around there. The Oxford vaccine for instance had antibody production in 91-100% of participants (depending on how it was measured) after 28 days and 100% after the booster shot, but the efficacy of the trialed dosage only ended up being 62% effective.

Efficacy results (even preliminary ones) from the Phase 3 trials for the Johnson and Johnson vaccine haven't been released yet, so at this point we're just guessing. Chances are it will be effective, but there's always a risk that the single dose won't work as well as they had hoped, which is why they began a two dose Phase 3 trial as well, but that likely won't be concluded for several months.
I thought that they were expecting the results in the next couple weeks?
Old 01-22-2021, 04:16 PM   #9967
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I thought that they were expecting the results in the next couple weeks?
For the single dose shot, yes. The other one I mentioned was a 2-dose regimen they're testing as well in case the single shot isn't sufficient; that's the one that's a few months from showing results.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 04:45 PM   #9968
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

believe under 10 000 active cases for first time since Nov 15
Old 01-22-2021, 05:38 PM   #9969
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
The UCP #### the bed on contract tracing. I still think that is key to re-opening and keeping places open.

Having a good useful app and contact tracers would allow the isolation of those affected.
undercoverparents or the United Conservative Party?
Old 01-23-2021, 05:30 PM   #9970
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

-573 new cases and completed 10,894 tests, giving a positivity rate of 5.3%.
-13 deaths, 676 in hospital, down 15.

-1022 vaccinations, up to 98,807.
The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 06:56 PM   #9971
BoLevi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Interesting update by Daniel Griffin today. He is hinting that we might get some data that the vaccines are effective at reducing transmission.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:57 PM   #9972
Nancy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

2 people in their 20s in Calgary zone among Alberta’s COVID-19 fatalities Saturday

No comorbidities, apparently.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:53 PM   #9973
81MC
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tragic anytime a young life is lost.

10 percent of that age groups deaths, within a couple days, in the same area, seems like either tragic coincidence or a reporting error to me.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:17 PM   #9974
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Tragic anytime a young life is lost.

10 percent of that age groups deaths, within a couple days, in the same area, seems like either tragic coincidence or a reporting error to me.
What else would it be?
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2021, 07:54 AM   #9975
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
We just had a 19 year old pass away in Ontario as well, the provinces first under 20. https://london.ctvnews.ca/mobile/lon...ince-1.5279653
Old 01-24-2021, 10:22 AM   #9976
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was reading about the SA variant this morning, and that's looking horrible. The country itself has fewer restrictions than we do at this point, but they're also at the point that the spread is immense and funeral homes are debating staying open 24/7. At this point, they're not sure that the vaccines will work effectively, and they may need to be "recalibrated" (my word because I'm a layman). Scary, at least to me.

I also heard through the grapevine that restaurants here are being told to start preparing for opening Feb 1, if we have a week of cases under 5% positivity. I have no idea how accurate that is, and it's not official, but that's the rumour.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:26 AM   #9977
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The UK variant is pretty clearly endemic in Ontario and the anecdotal results are pretty bad

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/mobile/u-k...died-1.5279379

Essentially infecting everyone in the home.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:15 PM   #9978
curves2000
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What I am not understanding is HOW this virus sometimes get's into these long term care homes? I assume a huge portion of these homes are following masking, hand washing, sanitizer at entrance and daily staff checks.

If people are doing that and doing it regularly, why are these outbreaks still happening in large numbers? This has and is happening in thousands of LTC in Canada. Do staff and visitors need higher quality PPE and subsequent training? New protocol's? It is scary to see just how little we have actually learned after all this time and the same issues are still happening.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:43 PM   #9979
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not like the care homes are behind walls. The staff don't live there. So the virus presumably comes in with them the same way it affects people not living/working in a care home.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:30 PM   #9980
OldDutch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
What I am not understanding is HOW this virus sometimes get's into these long term care homes? I assume a huge portion of these homes are following masking, hand washing, sanitizer at entrance and daily staff checks.

If people are doing that and doing it regularly, why are these outbreaks still happening in large numbers? This has and is happening in thousands of LTC in Canada. Do staff and visitors need higher quality PPE and subsequent training? New protocol's? It is scary to see just how little we have actually learned after all this time and the same issues are still happening.
My thought is asymptomatic spread of loved ones and workers. You have a large population that has some of the weakest immunity. Just one catches it and it starts the factory, even with protocol.

You would need to basically isolate staff with the residents with food dropped off for the last 10 months to have any chance.

You can look at the flu each year, it does the same thing sadly.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread