Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 08:48 PM   #3441
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
To CGY:
- Max Domi
- #16 Overall 2020 Draft pick
- Hawks 2020 second pick
- Cole Caufield

To MTL:
- Johnny Gaudreau
Yeah that is what I would need to be added to Domi to make it appealing but Habs fans will balk at that offer and call it a massive overpayment.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:51 PM   #3442
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Monahan for Dumba: who adds?
I think Minnesota adds but not that much.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:53 PM   #3443
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Monahan for Dumba: who adds?
I don’t like it. If we trade Monahan I am not excited about an similar aged Dman coming back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2020, 08:55 PM   #3444
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Yeah that is what I would need to be added to Domi to make it appealing but Habs fans will balk at that offer and call it a massive overpayment.
As I’ve mentioned, fans are going to be underwhelmed and disappointed by the Johnny return.

Other teams have watched his performances over the last year and a half.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:55 PM   #3445
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Why not trade for Dumba? The Flames' organizational depth on defense is already alarmingly thin and it's only getting worse (much worse) this summer unless the Flames act to add to it.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:58 PM   #3446
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
As I’ve mentioned, fans are going to be underwhelmed and disappointed by the Johnny return.

Other teams have watched his performances over the last year and a half.
The return for Johnny is as important as Johnny not being the player this team relies on for 1st line scoring.

If we had a viable top unit, we might have one this series. The other three lines held their own, and 13-23-28 got rag dolled shift after shift.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:58 PM   #3447
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Monahan does end up being part of the changes this summer - does Arizona make sense?

Everyone is talking about there having to be "hockey trades" due to the flat-cap...this would be a doozy:

To ARZ: Monahan, Hanifin, Rittich
To CGY: Dvorak, Ekman-Larsson, Raanta (50% retained), 2021 1st, Taylor Hall's negotiation rights

That'd be a pretty wild "hockey trade".

Calgary gets Dvorak who is under term longer and a touch younger, while Arizona gets what you could argue is an upgrade at centre.

Calgary changes the culture of the team bringing in Ekman-Larsson, who is about the same as Hanifin in terms of on-ice quality - however he carries a brutal 8.25M contract, placing him pretty firmly in that "effective but overpaid" range - and Calgary gets Arizona's 1st in 2021 to compensate.

Calgary gets a slight improvement in Raanta at 2.125M to run a tandem with the returning Talbot. Arizona brings in Rittich as the clear back-up to Kuemper, again part of Calgary taking on OEL's contract.

Hall - Dvorak - Tkachuk
Mangiapane - Backlund - Lindholm
Gaudreau - Bennett - Dube
Lucic - ? - ?
?

Ekman-Larsson - Andersson
Giordano - ?
Valimaki - ?
?

Talbot
Raanta
Old 08-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #3448
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

Take the hawks 2nd out and the Oilers 3rd and it becomes pretty appealing.

Honesty though after hearing Gaudreau talk and Bennett taking a big step I think trading Monahan would be the way to go.

Monahan for Cozens + 8th

Ryan for a 2nd or 3rd

Kylington + 19th + 8th - for the 5th from Ottawa

Draft Rossi

Sign Hall, Brodie, Mangiapane, Talbot, Forbort, Rieder

Gaudreau - Backlund/Cozens - Lindholm
Hall - Bennett - Tkachuk
Mangiapane - Backlund/Cozens - Dube
Lucic - Gawdin - Rieder
Phillips

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Forbort
Yelesin

Talbot
Rittich
Old 08-24-2020, 09:09 PM   #3449
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why not trade for Dumba? The Flames' organizational depth on defense is already alarmingly thin and it's only getting worse (much worse) this summer unless the Flames act to add to it.
Who replaces Monahan? If we trade Monahan without getting a center somewhere else may as well start a rebuild.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:12 PM   #3450
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The flames did land the two biggest NCAA UFA D this year in Mackey and Poolman this year while also signing promising pro depth in Yelesin and Lerby last year.

Add to that a 23 YO Hanifin, 22 YO Andersson and Kylington and 21 YO Valimaki three of which we’ve drafted and will most likely have locked up long term. I think all things considered we could be in an absolutely brutal spot losing two D like Brodie and Hamonic but due to some great scouting and drafting with limited picks paired with decent UFA European and college signings the Flames have done well with their defensive depth all things considered.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2020, 09:15 PM   #3451
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
If Monahan does end up being part of the changes this summer - does Arizona make sense?

Everyone is talking about there having to be "hockey trades" due to the flat-cap...this would be a doozy:

To ARZ: Monahan, Hanifin, Rittich
To CGY: Dvorak, Ekman-Larsson, Raanta (50% retained), 2021 1st, Taylor Hall's negotiation rights

Flames get older and worse at center for an upgrade in D. Seems like a bad way to try and get Hall to sign here.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:20 PM   #3452
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
The flames did land the two biggest NCAA UFA D this year in Mackey and Poolman this year while also signing promising pro depth in Yelesin and Lerby last year.

Add to that a 23 YO Hanifin, 22 YO Andersson and Kylington and 21 YO Valimaki three of which we’ve drafted and will most likely have locked up long term. I think all things considered we could be in an absolutely brutal spot losing two D like Brodie and Hamonic but due to some great scouting and drafting with limited picks paired with decent UFA European and college signings the Flames have done well with their defensive depth all things considered.
Hanifin is younger than Andersson, btw.

The depth has gotten a bit better with the Mackey signing. Poolman wasn't that highly renowned (certainly not the #2 UFA NCAA D prospect), but he's still a piece. But the Flames are now three full drafts removed from picking their last defenseman (Valimaki). Giordano... who knows how he's going to play next year? If he's his playoff self, they need to improve there.

And for next year, their RD depth goes Andersson... Yelesin... and that's it. Total. In the whole organization. That's alarming, to say the least. At least they have Kinnvall overseas? But they need to address it.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:26 PM   #3453
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah that's just not accurate. Max Domi is a great player. Tkachuk/Domi/Bennett would probably be a dominant line. You're really gonna tell me that he's on the same level as Hanowski and Agostino?
Domi has more than 52 points once

Hes not a great player, at best hes a good 2nd liner

If hes on your first line you're not gonna have a good time
Old 08-24-2020, 09:28 PM   #3454
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded
Who replaces Monahan? If we trade Monahan without getting a center somewhere else may as well start a rebuild.
That's a great question. But with all the rumours surrounding Monahan I thought Minny made sense as a destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Domi has more than 52 points once

Hes not a great player, at best hes a good 2nd liner

If hes on your first line you're not gonna have a good time
Look at the offensive talent he's been playing with in Arizona and Montreal. There's really not much there at all.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:37 PM   #3455
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Domi isn't a middle-six player, come on now. He's a solid top-six centre/winger with toughness and high-level scoring ability.

If you can get Domi AND a mid-first for Johnny, you run away laughing.
no I don't
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2020, 09:41 PM   #3456
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Depleting the C depth is the absolutely worst way to deal with it
Old 08-24-2020, 09:44 PM   #3457
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That's a great question. But with all the rumours surrounding Monahan I thought Minny made sense as a destination.

Look at the offensive talent he's been playing with in Arizona and Montreal. There's really not much there at all.
Despite having the 2nd highest 5v5 oiSH% (9.16%) among forwards on the Canadiens this year, Domi 5th in G/60 (0.75), 6th in A1/60 (0.69) and 6th in P/60 (1.68).

He also finished 5th in xGF/60 (0.68), 5th in iSCF/60 (7.61) and 8th in iHDCF/60 (3.37)

He was also a negative relative player in every analytical category.

I think he'd be a good addition to the 2nd or 3rd line, but he's much closer to being a 3rd liner than he is to being a 1st liner.

I'd mostly be on board of acquiring him just for the additional entertainment value of having another pest on the team, although Domi doesn't draw penalties at a great rate like Tkachuk, nor does he ever hit like Bennett. Just more of a non-stop chirper
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2020, 09:44 PM   #3458
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Backlund is the team's #1C all it does is gets them a higher draft pick at next year's draft.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:47 PM   #3459
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Domi isn't a middle-six player, come on now. He's a solid top-six centre/winger with toughness and high-level scoring ability.

If you can get Domi AND a mid-first for Johnny, you run away laughing.
If Montreal gets Johnny without having to give up one of their top prospects, they run away laughing.

Domi is a solid second-liner but a couple of tiers below Johnny, and a mid-1st isn't enough to make the value equal.

The Flames should only trade Johnny if they get an offer they can't refuse, this isn't it.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:50 PM   #3460
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames should only trade Johnny if they get an offer they can't refuse, this isn't it.
And that's how you get Mike Cammalleri to ultimately walk for nothing. You're doing your team a disservice to not trade Johnny Gaudreau before his contract walks him to UFA and I have a hard time believing you're going to get any sort of top prospect or bona-fide first-line player for him with just two seasons left on his deal. The precedent just isn't there.

I think a beefed-up Jeff Skinner return is far more likely. That's why I'm leaning towards re-signing Johnny, at this point.

Closed Thread