Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2019, 02:30 PM   #2561
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Talking about busts, the Flames have so many first round busts it's not even funny!
Sven Baertschi
Tim Erixon
Greg Nemisz
Leland Irving
Matt Pelech
Kris Chucko
Brent Kranh
Rico Fata
Daniel Tkaczuk - at least he was traded in a package and the Flames got Roman Turek
Chris Dingman - at least he won a frickin Cup with the Avs, lucky bugger!!!
Jesper Mattsson
Niklas Sundblad
Jason Muzzatti
Bryan Deasley
Chris Biotti

The 4 of the last 5 never even played a game in the NHL!!! Looking at that list, it makes Treliving look like a genius even if Bennett IS a bust!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:34 PM   #2562
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know who is a good comparable to Bennett? Brett Connolly the 6th overall pick in the 2010 draft. 27pts was his career high until he was 26 years old he then hit 46pts last year and has 12 in 19 games this year at 27. Wouldn’t shock me to see Bennett move to another 1-2 organizations and finally start putting up superior numbers than he has to date when he is 27-30
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #2563
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Wayne McBean
Mr. Alyssa Milano. He wins.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #2564
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Mr. Alyssa Milano. He wins.
She's been married twice, but never to him
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #2565
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
You know who is a good comparable to Bennett? Brett Connolly the 6th overall pick in the 2010 draft. 27pts was his career high until he was 26 years old he then hit 46pts last year and has 12 in 19 games this year at 27. Wouldn’t shock me to see Bennett move to another 1-2 organizations and finally start putting up superior numbers than he has to date when he is 27-30
Connolly has a lethal wrister that ive seen him shoot bar down multiple times. Bennett's is a weak muffin. Unless he becomes a Ryan Smyth style garbage man potting in rebounds or starts working on his shot. I dont see him advancing beyond a third liner.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #2566
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Talking about busts, the Flames have so many first round busts it's not even funny!
Sven Baertschi
Tim Erixon
Greg Nemisz
Leland Irving
Matt Pelech
Kris Chucko
Brent Kranh
Rico Fata
Daniel Tkaczuk - at least he was traded in a package and the Flames got Roman Turek
Jesper Mattsson
Niklas Sundblad
Jason Muzzatti
Bryan Deasley
Chris Biotti

The 4 of the last 5 never even played a game in the NHL!!! Looking at that list, it makes Treliving look like a genius even if Bennett IS a bust!
Forgot about Klimchuk and Poirier? Our big haul from trading off the last core.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #2567
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Connolly has a lethal wrister that ive seen him shoot bar down multiple times. Bennett's is a weak muffin. Unless he becomes a Ryan Smyth style garbage man potting in rebounds or starts working on his shot. I dont see him advancing beyond a third liner.
Bennett has scored some nice snipes in his day. Not sure I call his shot a muffin. Might want to take a look at some of his goals again.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:27 PM   #2568
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Yep. Bennett used to be a Schenn comparable, but he’s looking more like Connolly now. I actually posted about Connolly too!
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #2569
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I think Pitkanen is getting underrated. He was a 25 minute a night, 40 point number one defenseman for a near decade before the injuries derailed his career. Don't think he's anywhere near comparable to Bennett.
Like I said, not rigorously researched, and it's always tough to weigh injuries. Maybe there should just be another bracket altogether for Weiss, Zalapski, Pitkanen, Ladd, maybe even Zherdev - burned brightly for a number of years, but for whatever reason are no longer effective NHLers by age ~30. Always hard to compare D and F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Kinda ridiculous to put Hickey in bottom category...

he's played ~400 NHL games, maybe more.
Probably fair - somehow I still thought he was like 27...I also thought this year wasn't the first time he cleared waivers, but not sure. He's probably a good Bryan Allen comp. But, with how much the word 'bust' is being thrown around in this thread, I certainly think it's fair to say that Bennett is less of a bust than Hickey.

The overall point is that Sam Bennett is probably heading towards Benoit Pouliot type career, which is slightly below the median for 4OAs...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:30 PM   #2570
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Forgot about Klimchuk and Poirier? Our big haul from trading off the last core.
Yeah, but those two aren't picked by the Flames. We just got someone else's junk.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:32 PM   #2571
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, but those two aren't picked by the Flames. We just got someone else's junk.
They were both picked by the Flames.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #2572
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wish that were true.

You can probably lump Jankowski in there soon, unless he turns things back around.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:39 PM   #2573
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Yep. Bennett used to be a Schenn comparable, but he’s looking more like Connolly now. I actually posted about Connolly too!
If Bennett looked Jennifer Connolly, yeah, he's a Flames lifer! But seriously, he is what he is today and for the past 3 years.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:50 PM   #2574
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I wish that were true.

You can probably lump Jankowski in there soon, unless he turns things back around.
I stand corrected! I didn't read past Monahan and realized both were picked on the 2013 Draft in the later first rounds. Damn! However, the choices in the latter parts weren't great anyway.

What's funny is that the Flames also picked up Lazar and Shinkaruk from that draft year thru other trades.

Last edited by CSharp; 11-15-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:13 PM   #2575
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I stand corrected! I didn't read past Monahan and realized both were picked on the 2013 Draft in the later first rounds. Damn! However, the choices in the latter parts weren't great anyway.

What's funny is that the Flames also picked up Lazar and Shinkaruk from that draft year thru other trades.
And Rychel.

And Lindholm.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:56 PM   #2576
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I agree with you, he may not have developed as we hoped, but he's far from a bust.

If he was a 3rd round pick, it would have been an excellent pick.
I did a little digging on sports busts and it seems the most standard definition of bust is a vague "not living up to expectations".

From wiki

Quote:
A draft bust occurs when a highly touted or highly selected draftee does not meet expectations. This can be for a variety of reasons, but the most often noted are injury or inability to perform at a professional level. A player is also regarded as a larger bust if more successful players are drafted after him or her.
I can't get to where Bingo is with bust definition, as I feel Bennett is a clear bust, but then I also don't agree with the most broadly accepting bust definition of any high pick that doesn't meet expectations.

Because by that standard like 70% of high NHL picks would be busts.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 10:53 PM   #2577
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The problem with the bust label is that in the same breath, people will use it to argue that we should get rid of Bennett.

If a bust is "a player who didn't live up to expectations", then Bennett is a bust who is also a useful player that we should keep.

If a bust is "not an NHL player", then Bennett isn't a bust.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:41 PM   #2578
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can anyone argue that the Flames are better tomorrow with Bennet gone for a 3rd round pick?

Why is moving on from him a discussion point?
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:12 AM   #2579
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Can anyone argue that the Flames are better tomorrow with Bennet gone for a 3rd round pick?

Why is moving on from him a discussion point?
It's irrational, so I'm guessing emotion plays a part.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:09 AM   #2580
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Sven Baertschi
Tim Erixon
Greg Nemisz
Leland Irving
Matt Pelech
Kris Chucko
Brent Kranh
Rico Fata
Jesper Mattsson
Niklas Sundblad
Jason Muzzatti
Bryan Deasley
Chris Biotti

The biggest one has to be goaltender Trevor Kidd. Fletcher traded down to get him while Jersey picked Marty Broduer later in the first round