Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-25-2019, 04:12 PM   #1981
AFireInside
Powerplay Quarterback
 
AFireInside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
My company (tech) is doubling its workforce over the next year! Thank you, Mr. Kenney!
I don't buy this for one second. There's a lot more to that story.

Corporate tax cuts have rarely worked anywhere yet somehow everyone just in this thread sees it happen all the time. Amazing!

Last edited by AFireInside; 10-25-2019 at 04:15 PM.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:17 PM   #1982
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker
 
jammies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:
Default

Who could have guessed that coming up with your own budget was harder than criticizing from the Opposition benches?
__________________
You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.
jammies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jammies For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #1983
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/10...es-an-#######/

Quote:
EDMONTON – In his first budget, Premier#Jason Kenney#has cut the basic income support for handicapped people and redirected the millions saved to fund a public inquiry into why people think he’s a callous #######.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 04:27 PM   #1984
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka
 
Fozzie_DeBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: East of the Rockies, West of the Rest
Exp:
Default

I’m just so ducking frustrated that Albertans could have no deficit if they implemented the lowest sales tax in Canada...but would rather slash economic diversification initiatives and social services. It’s so ducking counterproductive.
__________________
"WHAT HAVE WE EVER DONE TO DESERVE THIS??? WHAT IS WRONG WITH US????" -Oiler Fan

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 04:33 PM   #1985
Iggy City
Franchise Player
 
Iggy City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Exp:
Default

Isn't implementing PST political suicide in Alberta?

We all agree it's needed but who has the balls to do it?
Iggy City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #1986
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post

Sorry man, but this is the worst way to look at education I can imagine. Like, I tried to write a response to this a dozen times, and none of it could capture the absurdity of this take.

Unless the job market decides post-secondary education isn’t going to be required for half-decent jobs and the whole societal concept of higher education changes, increasing these costs is absolute punishment.
And that applies whether your trying to be a doctor, an English teacher, or a gas fitter.

Hey, our hospitals are full. We should increase medical costs until we see vacancy?
I’m in favour of expanding post secondary education seats. In fact tuition should be raised to support more seats being available. I also want wholesale reform.

I just think the people complaining that education is too expensive are wrong. The ROI on it is still amazing. So when choosing where to cut and balancing choices Post-Secondary Education has room for costs to be transferred to students. Certainly better than cutting AISH.

Average tuition at U of C(based on googles auto search result) is 5500 or 366 times minimum wage. This is much less than 20 years ago when we had 3k tuition and $6 minimum wage.

Last edited by GGG; 10-25-2019 at 04:37 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:39 PM   #1987
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Isn't implementing PST political suicide in Alberta?

We all agree it's needed but who has the balls to do it?
The NDP did.

It was the Carbon Tax.

It cost them the election.

Then the idiots who took power decided to get rid of it when the political cost had already been paid.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #1988
TheIronMaiden
First Line Centre
 
TheIronMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: ATCO Field, Section 201
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Isn't implementing PST political suicide in Alberta?

We all agree it's needed but who has the balls to do it?
This is a good question. I know that lots of people would support it, but would it be enough?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:56 PM   #1989
iggy_oi
First Line Centre
 
iggy_oi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The NDP did.

It was the Carbon Tax.

It cost them the election.

Then the idiots who took power decided to get rid of it when the political cost had already been paid.
Well they did campaign on removing it. Maybe the blame for that one should be placed on the folks who voted for them based on that promise.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:06 PM   #1990
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player
 
MelBridgeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
They received a 1% tax break and that was enough to double their workforce?

If true it sounds like your company is either not paying their staff enough or they didn’t need the tax break. Maybe both.
Never said that tax break alone was enough to double the workforce. Never said that at all. But it reduces your expenses and frees up a bit of money to expand more, even 1 person goes a long way. Our salaries are dictated by the market and software engineers are in demand all over the world so it forces us to be very competitive to retain quality people. That is how salaries work. On the flip side we get 100s of Resumes for Customer Service Reps - so guess what they probably get undervalued in a market with tons of people just looking for anything. A strong economy is good for everyone. For every Husky laying off people, there are dozens of companies putting a tax break to good use.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Telford The chief of staff to the prime minister of Canada
“Line up all kinds of people to write op-eds.”

Last edited by MelBridgeman; 10-25-2019 at 05:09 PM.
MelBridgeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:09 PM   #1991
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player
 
MelBridgeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
nah mel is just a troll
Only when black out.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Telford The chief of staff to the prime minister of Canada
“Line up all kinds of people to write op-eds.”
MelBridgeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:12 PM   #1992
iggy_oi
First Line Centre
 
iggy_oi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Never said that tax break alone was enough to double the workforce. Never said that at all. But it reduces your expenses and frees up a bit of money to expand more, even 1 person goes a long way. Our salaries are dictated by the market and software engineers are in demand all over the world so it forces us to be very competitive to retain quality people. That is how salaries work. On the flip side we get 100s of Resumes for Customer Service Reps - so guess what they don't get paid according. A strong economy is good for everyone. For every Husky laying off people, there are dozens of companies putting a tax break to good use.
Ok I’ll bite, then what exactly did Kenney do which lead to you thanking him for your company doubling its workforce? Do you work in his war room?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #1993
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player
 
MelBridgeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
I don't buy this for one second. There's a lot more to that story.

Corporate tax cuts have rarely worked anywhere yet somehow everyone just in this thread sees it happen all the time. Amazing!
Of course there is that goes without saying. There are many reasons, one of which is tax savings. And it's true we are doubling.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Telford The chief of staff to the prime minister of Canada
“Line up all kinds of people to write op-eds.”
MelBridgeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:17 PM   #1994
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player
 
MelBridgeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Ok I’ll bite, then what exactly did Kenney do which lead to you thanking him for your company doubling its workforce? Do you work in his war room?
Lowered the corporate tax. Good for business!

Don't work in Oil n Gas.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Telford The chief of staff to the prime minister of Canada
“Line up all kinds of people to write op-eds.”
MelBridgeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:22 PM   #1995
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Who could have guessed that coming up with your own budget was harder than criticizing from the Opposition benches?
Ya, for all the bluster they've been bloviating for the past couple years you would have thought they actually had a plan. This does not look like a plan.

If they want to get us back to Canadian averages of providing services, they need to more than just chopping stuff they don't like, they need to do proper systematic analysis of all departments that are over Canadian averages and find out why. And if the "why" is something they can fix, fix it. This is just slashing stuff with no evidence for WHY it's a good idea to slash it.
__________________
Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy.
Telus - Almost as bad as Winnipeg.
Calgary Roads Dept - Ya, we'll get to that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 05:35 PM   #1996
iggy_oi
First Line Centre
 
iggy_oi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Lowered the corporate tax. Good for business!

Don't work in Oil n Gas.
The industry you work in is irrelevant to answering my question. Is it possible you’re deflecting because you’re realizing you actually had no reason to thank Kenney for your company’s decision to double the size of their workforce?

By the way, there’s a lot of people who use this site who are looking for work, would you mind saying what company it is so they can look into applying for one of these jobs?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #1997
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Well they did campaign on removing it. Maybe the blame for that one should be placed on the folks who voted for them based on that promise.
In a two party system where one is spending the tax on light bulbs and the other is going to cut it I’m not sure we can call the voters idiots.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 05:40 PM   #1998
iggy_oi
First Line Centre
 
iggy_oi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
In a two party system where one is spending the tax on light bulbs and the other is going to cut it I’m not sure we can call the voters idiots.
We don’t have a two party system
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:42 PM   #1999
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
We don’t have a two party system
You can pretend that in Alberta we had more than two choices for government if you would like.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
V
Old 10-25-2019, 05:46 PM   #2000
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player
 
MelBridgeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
The industry you work in is irrelevant to answering my question. Is it possible you’re deflecting because you’re realizing you actually had no reason to thank Kenney for your company’s decision to double the size of their workforce?
I thanked Kenney for giving us a lil more cash to play with! Let me put it in terms you can understand - Raise the minimum wage and people will spend more which is good for the economy - the same logic is at play here. But of course, some people will some people won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
By the way, there’s a lot of people who use this site who are looking for work, would you mind saying what company it is so they can look into applying for one of these jobs?
PM me or look at the job sites.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Telford The chief of staff to the prime minister of Canada
“Line up all kinds of people to write op-eds.”
MelBridgeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:34 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016