nm can’t read
Red Potato Standing By is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:08 PM   #1582
Roughneck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
But you don't even need a special licence other than a Class 5 (to my knowledge - I stand to be corrected on this)

Class 1 - anything
Class 2 - all buses, ambulances
Class 3 - 3-axels
Class 4 - commercial use (taxi, limo, small bus)
Class 5 - the rest
Class 6 - motorcycles
Class 7 - learner

Then there are other qualifications like air brakes and
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #1583
Harry Lime
First Line Centre

Exp:

One of my first memories of watching television was Knight Rider, when the villain of the story was a giant indestructible semi, that tore through buildings, cars and people with equal abandon.

So now if I self identify (Trudeau) as a farmer (Kenney) the bridge between dream and reality draw so much nearer. I love legislation that protects me from knowledge, and then allows me to blame it on someone else.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:23 PM   #1584
dre
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Class 1 - anything
Class 2 - all buses, ambulances
Class 3 - 3-axels
Class 4 - commercial use (taxi, limo, small bus)
Class 5 - the rest
Class 6 - motorcycles
Class 7 - learner

Then there are other qualifications like air brakes and
I think buses should have it’s own class, especially school bus.
Class 1 is everything except motorcycles.
I have a class 1 but I have no clue what the rules are for driving school bus.
dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:24 AM   #1585
aaronck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Insiders detail the last days of Jason Kenney’s campaign to be leader of Alberta's United Conservative Party

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/long...e-jason-kenney

This is a pretty big deal-Hoping the RCMP are looking into it as much as the CBC is.

Last edited by aaronck; 10-04-2019 at 09:26 AM.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 09:40 AM   #1586
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. Pretty pathetic of Kenny to abuse the immigrant community like that just to scramble to the top of the scrap heap. Guy is a real piece of work.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #1587
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I am surprised that Elections Alberta wasn't already observing any of this. I thought they would have at least been aware of methods, procedures, etc.

Sounds like we need to tighten up the political party nominations process. It seems like JK and his crew used confusion and intended misunderstandings about the tech involved when it comes to VPNs, PINs, and vote counting with his election staff. Taking advantage of them indeed.

If any of this is confirmed, I still don't know why he would cheat - he was likely going to win any way. That said, a 30 point margin on Jean's campaign, and Jean specifically calling out cheating should be enough to raise eyebrows for anyone who voted in that race.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:32 AM   #1588
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

On an Alberta-related piece of news as well, Sandy Garossino with the National Observer did an interesting piece on the foreign-funded activism again Alberta, a central theme to our provincial government's brand of politics.

Whether you believe there is foreign-funded activism or not - or what you think about the source and publication - it's an interesting read:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1179912021170515969
Old 10-04-2019, 10:34 AM   #1589
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not meaning this in a derogatory way, but genuinely curious.. have the UCP done anything that has been universally panned as positive or tangible for the province?

All I've really seen is a lot of finger pointing and rhetoric so far in the paper
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:14 AM   #1590
you&me
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Not meaning this in a derogatory way, but genuinely curious.. have the UCP done anything that has been universally panned as positive or tangible for the province?

All I've really seen is a lot of finger pointing and rhetoric so far in the paper
Yeah, nothing.

I wasn't a fan of the NDP for many reasons, but I'll admit, at least it felt like someone had their hand on the wheel...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:32 AM   #1591
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
On an Alberta-related piece of news as well, Sandy Garossino with the National Observer did an interesting piece on the foreign-funded activism again Alberta, a central theme to our provincial government's brand of politics.

Whether you believe there is foreign-funded activism or not - or what you think about the source and publication - it's an interesting read:

What a bizarre article. It confirms what Vivian Krause has found as well, that American money has been flowing to stop Canadian oil projects. I guess she's trying to frame it as a counter balance to Kenney and Krause through ridiculous straw man arguments, non-sequiturs, and greatly expanding the scope of global environment donations but she hilariously proves Kenney's point.

Let's start off here:

Quote:
At its core, this theory, which Jason Kenney has adopted as the Alberta government's, is that the province has been targeted by a cabal of American foundations led by the Rockefellers in a deliberate campaign of economic sabotage.

By directing money and influence to an anti-pipeline movement called the Tar Sands Campaign, these foundations seek to advance American energy interests by landlocking Canadian oil.
I could be wrong, but I've never heard Kenney say that they were doing this to advance American energy interests. That's a straw man that this lady has made up and spends a lot of the article trying to disprove, when no one's asserted that. The first part, that they've launched a campaign to landlock Canadian oil, is what people are upset about and she hilariously goes on to show that that's happening! I guess she thinks she's debunking it when she's arguing that there's no proof for the motivations she made up when all anyone's been concerned about so far is the actions.

Quote:
Nobody cares about foreign money, least of all Jason Kenney.

No sooner did the premier release the terms of his foreign funding inquiry than he set off for New York, cap in hand, to raise more foreign money for the oil industry.

The Canadian oil and gas industry, jauntily waving the maple leaf, is loaded with over a hundred billion dollars in foreign ownership. It sells millions of barrels of oil to foreigners every day, and now wants a pipeline to increase the foreign markets it can sell to.

And all of this is cheered on daily in a foreign-controlled national newspaper chain.

That's just by way of a little perspective.
And then this non-sequiter just reveals this person's bias and poor arguments. Yeah, foreign investment to grow value and foreign obstruction dollars to destroy value are really the same thing. I have no idea how this is at all relevant. So if you're for good-faith investment dollars that basically every country on earth covets to grow their economy, you have to also be ok with foreign dollars incoming specifically to destroy value for citizens. Sure.

Quote:
According to Candid’s data, since 2009 over 100,000 charitable foundations and non-governmental funders have granted some $700 billion to recipient organizations worldwide.

Of that number, roughly 1,800 private foundations committed more than $4.9 billion specifically to climate initiatives. Just five foundations granted half of that figure.

Of that nearly $5 billion, American-based recipients received an overwhelming $2.9 billion — or 59 per cent — of all climate grants. Almost $2 billion was divided between the European Union, China and India.

$51 million went to Canadian climate projects, of which roughly $40 million was granted to dozens of small organizations organized as the Tar Sands Campaign, and most of the balance went to the Montreal-based Global Campaign for Climate Action
This is my favorite part. Remember the title of this article, "A data-based dismantling of Jason Kenney's foreign-based funding conspiracy theory". She LITERALLY shows here that $40 million went to the Tar sands campaign, with the stated goal of land locking Canadian energy, from foreign sources. She just disproved the central thesis of her whole article. But somehow muddying the water by comparing that to charitable donations worldwide shows Albertans are out to lunch. Does the website have an editor? Somehow I don't think we'll see this hard hitting analysis published in a reputable newspaper.

Last edited by DiracSpike; 10-04-2019 at 11:37 AM.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #1592
Makarov
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Ouch.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:45 AM   #1593
Harry Lime
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

That article is pretty hard to dissemble. There is a lot of confirmation bias going on, and it's difficult to separate from simple data collection because the data is collected to support a particular viewpoint. It's hard to tell if her conclusions are valid.

I miss old time journalism.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #1594
TheIronMaiden
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post

It's not uncommon for a party to spend the first year resting on rhetoric. That said, I think that it takes most governments a long time to do anything, and the effects of what does happen often takes a long time to take shape as well.

It's a part of the reason why I found how upset people were with the NDP immediately so funny. As if in 4 years they would be able to do much of anything in the face of 44 years of conservative policy making.

Truth is the UCP don't have to do much, because the policy structures in Alberta are already so conservative. They, more or less, have to keep the status quo, and feed their base rhetoric. They have almost nothing to prove, so long as they can continue to deflect blame.

The NDP however, tried to do something similar blaming any issues they had on the previous 44 years, but eventually it rang empty. It'll be interesting to see how voters feel after this government goes back to the polls.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #1595
Makarov
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
This is my favorite part. Remember the title of this article, "A data-based dismantling of Jason Kenney's foreign-based funding conspiracy theory". She LITERALLY shows here that $40 million went to the Tar sands campaign, with the stated goal of land locking Canadian energy, from foreign sources. She just disproved the central thesis of her whole article. But somehow muddying the water by comparing that to charitable donations worldwide shows Albertans are out to lunch. Does the website have an editor? Somehow I don't think we'll see this hard hitting analysis published in a reputable newspaper.
This is the central plank in Kenney's conspiracy theory:

Quote:
“I believe having foreign interest groups funnel tens or perhaps hundreds of millions of dollars into a campaign designed massively to damage our vital economic interests is a matter of the greatest public concern,” Kenney said. “The energy industry and the emissions challenge are global. The question then is, why is the anti-energy campaign so overwhelmingly and disproportionately focused on one major producer?
SOURCE: https://globalnews.ca/news/5462388/k...lists-funding/

It seems to me (on a quick read) that this article thoroughly discredits that premise (that the anti-energy campaign is overwhelmingly and disproportionately focused on Alberta), no?
Old 10-04-2019, 11:52 AM   #1596
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
The NDP however, tried to do something similar blaming any issues they had on the previous 44 years, but eventually it rang empty. It'll be interesting to see how voters feel after this government goes back to the polls.
Until the RCMP investigation is finished, I don't trust the UCP with polls or voting at this current moment in time
Old 10-04-2019, 11:53 AM   #1597
TheIronMaiden
First Line Centre

Exp:

Re:The so called "Kenney's conspiracy theory"

Its good rhetoric - "us vs them" is politics 101.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:55 AM   #1598
Fighting Banana Slug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
This is the central plank in Kenney's conspiracy theory:

SOURCE: https://globalnews.ca/news/5462388/k...lists-funding/

It seems to me (on a quick read) that this article thoroughly discredits that premise (that the anti-energy campaign is overwhelmingly and disproportionately focused on Alberta), no?
Isn't $40 million on the Tar Sands group out of $51 million spent in Canada, disproportionate?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #1599
iggy_oi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
It's not uncommon for a party to spend the first year resting on rhetoric. That said, I think that it takes most governments a long time to do anything, and the effects of what does happen often takes a long time to take shape as well.
It didn’t take them very long to implement their pro-employer changes to the labour code, or to implement their tax breaks for businesses. The latter was by their own admission done before they even knew what our fiscal situation actually looked like. They’re clearly willing and able to make changes quickly, at least when businesses are the ones making the ask.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #1600
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other thing that Karuse’s data makes clear is that Canadians are funding attacks against the oil sands far more than the foreign organizations.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote