Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-29-2019, 02:20 PM   #4341
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
But as more and more players enter unrestricted free agency in their mid-twenties, I think the prospect of signing them becomes a much better gamble than it was when the top UFAs were all over 29-years-old.
In my opinion this will only serve to differentiate even further those organizations that are great at drafting and developing and locking up its best players. Get term with your promising young players as soon as you can, and be right more often than not.

Meanwhile short sighted organizations will try to buy their way to championships through free agency.

Personally I don't see the winning formula changing all that much.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:20 PM   #4342
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
They didnít have to dump Kane or Toews for cap space to sign him.
Right, but that is not the question that was posed.

The whole point of this thought experiment is to imagine ONE way to address the possible restructuring of the roster in the event that an extension for Gaudreau is deemed either unlikely or untenable. If that happens, then the roster needs to be adjusted to compensate for the loss, and also to recoup value on the asset. It's bold and highly unlikely, but I think signing a UFA like Taylor Hall either this summer or next year is a strategy that deserves exploration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #4343
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
He never signed a UFA deal in Edmonton, did he?
Hall's current deal bought two UFA years while he was still in Edmonton.

Quote:
Old 09-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #4344
neo45
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
He never signed a UFA deal in Edmonton, did he?
Heís never signed a UFA deal period

Still, he committed UFA years to a worse city and a way worse team than we currently are now, soI see zero reason to speculate that he would be opposed to signing in Calgary considering he has ties to the city and the team just finished second in the league
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:23 PM   #4345
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
In my opinion this will only serve to differentiate even further those organizations that are great at drafting and developing and locking up its best players. Get term with your promising young players as soon as you can, and be right more often than not.

Meanwhile short sighted organizations will try to buy their way to championships through free agency.

Personally I don't see the winning formula changing all that much.
Personally, I think ALL organizations will continue to do their best to balance both. Teams are going to sign big-ticket UFAs and some of them will find success in doing so.

Quote:
Old 09-29-2019, 02:39 PM   #4346
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Right, but that is not the question that was posed.

The whole point of this thought experiment is to imagine ONE way to address the possible restructuring of the roster in the event that an extension for Gaudreau is deemed either unlikely or untenable. If that happens, then the roster needs to be adjusted to compensate for the loss, and also to recoup value on the asset. It's bold and highly unlikely, but I think signing a UFA like Taylor Hall either this summer or next year is a strategy that deserves exploration.
Well I didn't see any question being posed at all, much less any assumptions defined. In fact I think you specifically mentioned it as your plan to trade Gaudreau and sign Hall.

I guess sitting here today I don't know how to conclude that Hall is more likely to want to sign here, will do so at a better value and will be more productive than Gaudreau.

Ask me again next off season though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 02:50 PM   #4347
The Cobra
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well I didn't see any question being posed at all, much less any assumptions defined. In fact I think you specifically mentioned it as your plan to trade Gaudreau and sign Hall.

I guess sitting here today I don't know how to conclude that Hall is more likely to want to sign here, will do so at a better value and will be more productive than Gaudreau.

Ask me again next off season though.
I'm not advocating trading Gaudreau, but the value of signing Hall and trading Johnny is that you get a bunch of assets along with Hall.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:14 PM   #4348
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Well I didn't see any question being posed at all, much less any assumptions defined...
*sigh*
Quote:
What team has built a championship by signing expensive UFA’s to be their best player?
Quote:
...In fact I think you specifically mentioned it as your plan to trade Gaudreau and sign Hall.

I guess sitting here today I don't know how to conclude that Hall is more likely to want to sign here, will do so at a better value and will be more productive than Gaudreau...
No one is asking for anything conclusive, and I sure hope my off-the-cuff musings are not construed as such. But I think it is entirely reasonable to posit that 1) Hall would consider signing in Calgary, 2) he would provide an equivalent on ice contribution as Gaudreau, and 3) value would be recaptured in moving Gaudreau before his NTC is triggered.

I am sorry that I am unable to provide you with anything more than hypotheticals at this juncture, but I remain puzzled as to why you are so determined against considering such possibilities in the "Trade Speculation" thread. It seems to me that this is an optional course of action the Flames would do well to consider.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-29-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #4349
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
*sigh*

No one is asking for anything conclusive, and I sure hope my off-the-cuff musings are not construed as such. But I think it is entirely reasonable to think that 1) Hall would consider signing in Calgary, 2) he would provide an equivalent on ice contribution as Gaudreau, and 3) value would be recaptured in moving Gaudreau before his NTC is triggered.

I am sorry that I am unable to provide you with anything more than hypotheticals at this juncture, but I remain puzzled as to why you are so determined against considering such possibilities in the "Trade Speculation" thread.
Sigh?

You presented a plan and some people like it and some donít. Your plan wasnít in response to some question or some scenario that was presented, you brought that into it later which kind of moved the goalposts but that is OK. There are no rules for this. So then more discussion ensued. I am not against considering the possibilities you raised, I simply donít see a compelling reason as to why it is a good idea. And I presented my thoughts as to why.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:25 PM   #4350
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Sigh?
You asked a question and I provided an answer.

Quote:
Old 09-29-2019, 03:35 PM   #4351
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was referring to your thought experiment scenario. I guess you’re talking about the Hossa example but I don’t believe that is comparable to Flames signing Hall unless, again, it is at a huge discount. Because that’s what Hossa was.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:38 PM   #4352
JTech780
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I am on the Taylor Hall train ONLY because he would only cost us money/term and no assets. If we can fit him in, you have to go for him. Slot Gaudreau or Tkachuk on the RW and have Hall slot in the top 6. Having Hall play with either Gaudreau, Tkachuk, or Lindholm would be an absolute treat.

He only has 1 playoff win in 9 years because the poor man has been playing on trash teams. He literally had to carry the Devils on his back in order for him to make the playoffs.

Plus, Hall would be good insurance with the case that Gaudreau and/or Tkachuk leave. Of course I don't want that to happen but if Hall would strongly consider Calgary for the right $ and term, how can you not go for him?
Fair, but I just don't see a way that we would be able to fit him in without moving a piece of the current core and there isn't a player in our current core that I would move to bring Hall in.

Andersson is due for a new contract next year and I am guessing that the team will be looking to lock him up long term, I am guessing in the $4-5m range. We also have to sign one of Brodie or Hamonic next season which will be in the $4.5-5.5m range. So those two defense will probably cost $8-10m. The cap probably won't go up much if at all next season. Add in the fact that we will have to either re-sign Talbot or sign another goalie.

I just don't see a realistic way we can add Hall.
JTech780 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:40 PM   #4353
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Athletic writer for the Penguins saying Jack johnson on the move soon.

Josh Yohe
@JoshYohe_PGH
A Jack Johnson trade is likely to happen in the next 48 hours. Read about it here:

Sources: Penguins are getting closer to trading Jack Johnson...
theathletic.com

Got to be the oilers for poolparty, they need D. (have not checked cap implications, just ragging on the oilers)
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:37 PM   #4354
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
Got to be the oilers for poolparty, they need D. (have not checked cap implications, just ragging on the oilers)
I don't think they have the cap space. They currently have $1.53M in space, with a 23 man roster.

Johnson is $3.25M. They could then send down Manning ($2.25M), but that only saves them $1M, does it not? (or $950K, or whatever it is)
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:05 PM   #4355
AustinL_NHL
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
Do people actually think Hall would sign in Calgary? No way.
Considering he was born and raised in Calgary, was a Flames fan growing up, and even said that visiting Calgary as an opponent is super special and much moreso than Edmonton, I think the conclusion is that this is a dumb post.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 05:26 PM   #4356
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I don't think they have the cap space. They currently have $1.53M in space, with a 23 man roster.

Johnson is $3.25M. They could then send down Manning ($2.25M), but that only saves them $1M, does it not? (or $950K, or whatever it is)
It sounds like Brodziak is done for the season, so that gives them a little over $1 million in LTIR space. Also, they'd need to send someone down to make roster space for Johnson. Their lowest-paid d-man is making $1 million (of course he is).

If you factor those things in, they could have just-enough space to fit Johnson under the cap without Pittsburgh retaining any salary.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:45 PM   #4357
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It sounds like Brodziak is done for the season, so that gives them a little over $1 million in LTIR space. Also, they'd need to send someone down to make roster space for Johnson. Their lowest-paid d-man is making $1 million (of course he is).

If you factor those things in, they could have just-enough space to fit Johnson under the cap without Pittsburgh retaining any salary.
Getting tired of you correcting my math
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:48 PM   #4358
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It sounds like Brodziak is done for the season
Yeah, he retired.

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hocke...nth-round-pick
Old 09-29-2019, 06:02 PM   #4359
memphusk
First Line Centre

Exp:

Will Hall be able to keep it up until he's 35?
Old 09-29-2019, 06:02 PM   #4360
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

If we're spending 11 million on a family it better be a centrr
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote