Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-11-2019, 06:00 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon48 2019 Competition Commitee's recommendations

The competition committee recommended the following changes today (changes still need to be approved by the executive committee and BOG):
https://www.nhlpa.com/news/1-16544/n...ecommendations

Quote:
Expanded Video Review/Coach's Challenge The Committee recommends changes to the Coach’s Challenge and expanded video review, including as it relates to a Referee’s ability to review some of his own calls on the ice. Recommendations will be prepared for the League’s Board of Governors, General Managers and the NHLPA’s Executive Board.

Helmets Off During Play The Committee recommends work on a rule construct for implementation next season that would reasonably require a player to leave the ice in the event his helmet comes off during play.

Goalies Unnecessarily Freezing Puck The Committee recommends that the defensive team not be permitted a line change when a goalie freezes the puck on any shot from outside the center red line. The offensive team will have the choice of which end zone dot the face-off will take place.

Face-off Procedure Changes/Line Changes The Committee recommends: i) that following an icing, the offensive team will have the choice of which end zone dot the face-off will take place. ii) To begin a power-play, the offensive team will have the choice of which end-zone dot the face-off will take place. iii) That no line change be permitted for the defending team if, in the judgement of the Official, the actions of a skater of the defensive team caused the stoppage by unintentionally knocking the net off. The offensive team will have the choice of which end-zone dot the face-off will take place.

Puck Out of Bounds The Committee recommends that when the attacking team is responsible for the puck going out of play in the attacking zone, all face-offs will be conducted at one of the two face-off dots in the attacking zone.

Regular Season Tie-breakers The Committee recommends adoption of a proposal that would modify existing regular season tie-breaking procedures and adding additional criteria.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
The tiebreaker change as recommended by the Competition Committee is very interesting. It is likely the first tiebreaker will be wins in regulation, as opposed to Regulation and overtime.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I don’t get why bother with some of these.

Why do they want so badly to have the offensive team select the faceoff dot? I know you have a strong side but I prefer not asking the players every bloody faceoff what they want. The whole point of the faceoff is a neutral start to play

Puck stays in the zone when the attacking team puts it out? Why be inconsistent? Generally minor violations lose the team position. Why bother having an exception?

It seems like the results of a make work committee

Me, I’d like to see less stoppages of play for icing. Wave off passes that barely miss the target. If a team dumps it out to relieve pressure, call it icing. If they are trying to generate offense with aggressive passes, let it go. Let the refs use some discretion in a positive way.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #4
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Goalies Unnecessarily Freezing Puck The Committee recommends that the defensive team not be permitted a line change when a goalie freezes the puck on any shot from outside the center red line. The offensive team will have the choice of which end zone dot the face-off will take place.
I like anything that cuts down on stoppages. The two biggest reasons I switch away from a non-Flames hockey game is multiple icings in a short period of time or multiple goalie covers in a short period of time.

Those are too often game over for me in a declining love of watching hockey.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #5
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The helmet off rule is a good one.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:40 PM   #6
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
More on the tie-breaker recommendation: Criteria will now be in order of priority: (1) Regulation Wins; (2) ROW; (3) All Wins (ROW and OT); (4) Head to Head; (5) Goal Differential; and (6) total Goals For
Old 06-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #7
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a bunch of meh.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #8
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I like anything that cuts down on stoppages. The two biggest reasons I switch away from a non-Flames hockey game is multiple icings in a short period of time or multiple goalie covers in a short period of time.

Those are too often game over for me in a declining love of watching hockey.
Yeah, it reminds me of when soccer stopped allowing players to pass it back to their goaltender who could then pick it up and kill play.

20 years ago.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 07:16 PM   #9
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

We need less video review not more.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:29 PM   #10
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most of it is minor. I like the helmet off rule, probably should have been implemented years ago.

I despise video review. Absolutely ruins the flow of the games. I would rather put up with the odd human error from an official than sit there for 5 minutes trying to determine if a player was a millimeter offside.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 08:27 PM   #11
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I would like to see offside amended so that the skate doesnt have to be on the ice. If any part of the foot is at the plane of the line player is on side.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 08:38 PM   #12
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Most of it is minor. I like the helmet off rule, probably should have been implemented years ago.

I despise video review. Absolutely ruins the flow of the games. I would rather put up with the odd human error from an official than sit there for 5 minutes trying to determine if a player was a millimeter offside.
If anything, adding video review has added more human error, IMO.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:49 PM   #13
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm starting to lean toward video review for stuff like offsides should not be slowed down but viewed in real time. If you can't tell at normal speed, then too bad.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 09:54 PM   #14
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Yup. Give the refs a chance to see a play they may have missed or not got a good look at. Make a call.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:30 PM   #15
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
We need less video review not more.
We need better video review and expanded video review of more calls, especially for things like offside calls, hand passes, high sticks and major penalties, not less. And it needs to happen quicker.

If it's not immediately obvious that a play was or wasn't offside/hand passed/highsticked at a wide angle view on replay at real time then the call on the ice stands.

I find it hard to believe that the NHL can't implement a review system for headshots like NCAA football does without significantly interrupting the game considering the rare occurrence that head contact majors happen in the NHL vs the NCAA.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:23 AM   #16
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I agree, less video is better. Shorten the second intermission as well, for some reason it's longer then the first one. Football is not a good example, a borefest with very little action that's designed as a tv show. It's hilarious when they go to the sideline and poke there heads into the hooded camera.

For goals they should use more of an electronic system like Hawkeye, if it's a goal it should send a signal to the refs watch.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:31 AM   #17
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
More on the tie-breaker recommendation: Criteria will now be in order of priority: (1) Regulation Wins; (2) ROW; (3) All Wins (ROW and OT); (4) Head to Head; (5) Goal Differential; and (6) total Goals For
What is the difference between #2 & #3? Or is #3 a typo and they meant shootouts?
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #18
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Isn't this already in the rule book as a delay of game penalty?
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 08:46 AM   #19
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

#3 is a typo and they mean ROW + Shootouts

Just go to a 3-2-1 point system already. If you want to emphasize wins in regulation then just do it.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:00 AM   #20
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
Isn't this already in the rule book as a delay of game penalty?
No. The interesting thing about this rule is you can use r how some teams use the purposeful hard icing off the boards and win the race.

Dump it in on the goalie, and if you’re winning the race the goalie still has to play it.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote