Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #9541
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, i know it's Eklund and all, but he just put getlaf to vegas as a E4 whatever the heck that means.....
Old 02-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #9542
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Means he pulled it out of his ass. Actually thats what all the E's mean.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #9543
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I just don't see how these three things can all happen for the flames at the same time

1) Trade for Mark Stone
2) Keep Brodie for next season
3) Move Michael Stone

I don't know how you justify moving Brodie playing 24 minutes a night at 4.9 while keeping Mike Stone at 0 minutes a night at 3.5. But then you're talking about trading for his brother and then moving him once his brother arrives. That's...weird.

So then you move Brodie to make space for the Stone brothers...that's a weird Freddie Hamilton situation.

In my mind the best option is to try to move Mike Stone to ottawa as they are likely one of the few teams in the league with any value attached to Mike Stone right now.
I am 90% convinced that Brodie is going to be traded in the off season. He is going to be up for a big raise after next season and I don't see him fitting into the long term pay structure of the team.

He is a fine player, but mistake prone and a little overrated IMO because he plays with Gio. The team can sell high on him in the off season and re-load with some assets that can be flipped to find cheaper options for filling in the gaps on the roster.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #9544
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
All you’ve proven here is that we can acquire Stone (if lots of things fall into place) but that we have to sacrifice a chance of winning the Stanley cup to do it, because that goalie combo is simply not going to cut it in my opinion.

Gillies will have to play 20+ games and he hasn’t impressed enough at nhl or ahl level to give any confidence that he can succeed. If we are scrimping on the starting goalie at 3 million then we need a reliable backup, which will cost 2 million+

Oh, and I’m a massive fan of Kylingon...but top line, come on?
Sorry, don't be confused with the positions, it's just closer to illustrate the personnel based on another poster's earlier suggestions in this thread to show cap compliance, not so much line combinations.

As for Gillies, there's likely room for cap room to get a 2M goalie if the Tkachuk and Stone contracts come at a lower price. Eitherway, they would be able to afford a 1M backup that doesn't need to be Gillies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
There's a bizarre subset of Flames fans who think Brodie is a 3rd pair defenseman and is carried by Mark Giordano. And thst Rasmus Andersson is suddenly ready for top pair duties as an acfual plan A. They really have zero interest in giving Brodie any credit for this team's success or our top pair's success.
This shouldn't be a surprise. The guy was hot-trash away from Giordano that went far beyond playing his "off-side." As a big proponent of Brodie in years past, the fact that every single player looks great with Giordano and significantly less away, should be telling. Same stuff was being said about Hamilton when Giordano and Hamilton were the best defensive pairing in the league.

Then there's the expansion draft. It's impossible to keep all those defenseman together when you can only protect 3. So trade for assets when they are at their top value instead of losing them to an expansion draft or UFA, that seems like reasonable asset management.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #9545
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be hesitant to move Mangiapane off the roster. Kid's really coming on strong lately, I think he's been part of creating 3 goals in the last 5 games - on our fourth line. Upside here for a top 6 forward in the future and we need to keep developing that. Even Marchand wasn't a household name at the same point in his career. I'd be looking to add depth but moreso on the right side to play with Mangiapane and Ryan as despite his PKing I feel Hathaway is what he is. A name that's on my mind is Colton Sceviour.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 02-11-2019, 01:10 PM   #9546
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I am 90% convinced that Brodie is going to be traded in the off season. He is going to be up for a big raise after next season and I don't see him fitting into the long term pay structure of the team.

He is a fine player, but mistake prone and a little overrated IMO because he plays with Gio. The team can sell high on him in the off season and re-load with some assets that can be flipped to find cheaper options for filling in the gaps on the roster.
It kills me to think of Brodie moving on, but hsi play under Gulutzan can't be ignored either. Playing with one of the best D-men in the game, Brodie is smart and quick enough to get the most out of that pairing... but on his own we saw a lengthy stretch of terrible defending. He wasn't on his preferred side or with his preferred partner, but I've been mindful of just how bad he was when things weren't his ideal scenario.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering it, but it felt like addition by subtraction not that long ago.

I wonder if anyone will be as productive with Gio as Brodie has been, but when you consider his non-Gio play to anyone else on the roster a mature Kylington (much more relaxed, a la Brodie) has the tools to grow his game with Gio as Brodie had.

Last edited by Split98; 02-11-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #9547
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would be hesitant to move Mangiapane off the roster. Kid's really coming on strong lately, I think he's been part of creating 3 goals in the last 5 games - on our fourth line. Upside here for a top 6 forward in the future and we need to keep developing that. Even Marchand wasn't a household name at the same point in his career. I'd be looking to add depth but moreso on the right side to play with Mangiapane and Ryan as despite his PKing I feel Hathaway is what he is. A name that's on my mind is Colton Sceviour.
I know he had a nice goal last game, but i still don't see an NHL player in Mangiapane. I keep hoping he gets sent down and Lazar is promoted.

I certainly wouldnt lose any sleep if he got traded.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #9548
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
It kills me to think of Brodie moving on, but hsi play under Gulutzan can't be ignored either. Playing with one of the best D-men in the game, Brodie is smart and quick enough to get the most out of that pairing... but on his own we saw a lengthy stretch of terrible defending. He wasn't on his preferred side or with his preferred partner, but I've been mindful of just how bad he was when things weren't his ideal scenario.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering it, but it felt like addition by subtraction not that long ago.

I wonder if anyone will be as productive with Gio as Brodie has been, but when you consider his non-Gio play to anyone else on the roster a mature Kylington (much more relaxed, a la Brodie) has the tools to grow his game with Gio as Brodie had.
Edmonton should be looking at Brodie really hard. They have 4-5 guys who'd be ideal partners for him.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #9549
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing that bothered me last year with Brodie was his overtime play. There was no side, no partner, and he still looked bad more often than not it seemed. Maybe whatever Gulutzan did to him just effected his confidence and overall play, but it wasn't Gulutzan telling him to mishandle passes and make boneheaded mistakes (I assume).

Either way, I think those advocating or suggesting the possibility of moving Brodie understand it's because he has bounced back and does have value right now. While at the same time unable to see where he slots in on the protection list, especially if he is asking for a massive (earned) raise.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #9550
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post

This shouldn't be a surprise. The guy was hot-trash away from Giordano that went far beyond playing his "off-side." As a big proponent of Brodie in years past, the fact that every single player looks great with Giordano and significantly less away, should be telling. Same stuff was being said about Hamilton when Giordano and Hamilton were the best defensive pairing in the league.
It's not a surprise, because bad takes never surprise me.

Hot trash? So Brodie-Stone was a hot trash second pairing? Right. But lemme guess, Stone like Giordano carried Brodie. Well darn I didn't realize we had another Giordano and we were burying him on our third pair. And it was totally Brodie's fault Dennis Wideman was no longer an NHLer, too. We should bring Widey back now that we have Hanifin who would totally look great with him.

Brodie might have been so-called "hot trash" for a month or two last year. Let's not lie through our teeth and have that month or two represent his whole career away from Giordano. He's had success with Stone. He even had success with Deryk Engelland. And outside of a rough month or two he even had success with Hamonic (and Hamonic himself was not individually great early on as a Flame). He's had a ton of success with Russell. This year he has had success with Hanifin.

And Hamilton WAS a big part of the Giordano-Hamilton pair. Crazy thought but Dougie Hamilton is a good hockey player too. And there's only a certain extent to which you can keep trading away top pair defenseman. Last year we had three top pair defenseman and 0 top line right wingers. Now we have two top pair defensemen and 1 top line right winger. Giordano didn't carry Hamilton either, that's just the narrative du jour because Elias Lindholm has fit so well on a line with Gaudreau and Monahan that we haven't entirely missed Hamilton.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-11-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #9551
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not a surprise, because bad takes never surprise me.

Hot trash? So Brodie-Stone was a hot trash second pairing?
Yes and yes. I mean, there's a lot that went wrong for the Flames last year, but the inability of that pairing to stop secondary scoring was a huge reason for the Flames poor position in the standings. The Flames own secondary scoring was also missing.

I didn't mean to suggest Brodie away from Giordano has always been bad. Just the last couple seasons. And again, the point is that Brodie has high value but his long-term plans with the Flames don't seem to gel. I mean if you could trade Stone and Prout for quality assets, of course they would do that, but most people seem to think Stone has little-to-negative value.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #9552
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

May as well put this here: Scott Darling has taken a personal leave of absence from the Canes to regroup "from a mental standpoint" according to the GM.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #9553
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would you do the following, if both the UFAs agreed to terms that fit within the budget?

To Calgary: Stone, Dzingle, & Borowiecki

To Ottawa: Tkachuk
Old 02-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #9554
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really? I don't see him as a significant upgrade on Hathaway. Sceviour does 2 things really well, defend and forecheck. He has no significant offensive talent, he's not that big, and he's not going to contribute much if he's playing above the 4th line. Sound familiar?

Personally, I think Hathaway has become an elite penalty killer this season, and that's a great commodity to have in a 4th line winger. Plus, he's one of the few guys in the lineup who can lay out a big hit or stand up for teammates. All for a very affordable 850K.

Sceviour makes 1.2 million for the next 3 years. I wouldn't want that cap hit eating up the bottom of the roster. It's a little too much Bouma for my liking.

Besides Sceviour is injured so he can't be traded anyway.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #9555
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Would you do the following, if both the UFAs agreed to terms that fit within the budget?

No! Tkachuk not going anywhere, future Captain!
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gaudreau is a Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #9556
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

Because of age....no.

Obviously yes if a straight hockey trade/salaries somewhat balanced.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #9557
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Brutal
Old 02-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #9558
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

LOL, I don't think you're going to get a lot of positive responses to this proposal. Prepare thyself.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #9559
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep seeing fans of garbage teams trying to push some kind of sign and trade. I am sorry the Flames have no interest in going from the typical 1st, prospect, roster player price for a Stone rental to one of our franchise buyers players in Tkachuk because he signed a new contract.

I know fans of other teams are desperate to get value for their expiring contracts that would resemble the return if the player had a long term deal but that doesn’t happen and I doubt that changes soon.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #9560
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gundo For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread