Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2018, 10:38 PM   #261
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Rittich looked much better and I thought Parsons looked really solid. Goaltending looks to be the probable biggest potential issue for the Flames this season, so that’s a plus. Baby steps.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:40 PM   #262
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Valimaki had a good game outside a few lapses. Had that nice pass to Phillips for the first goal. Still needs to be in the AHL, his season will be interesting to watch.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:48 PM   #263
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I really enjoy watching some of the not-so-huge players we have with speed.........Dube, Phillips, Eat Bread, Foo.......all players that can not just have big seasons in Stockton (unless Dube sticks with the big club), but also could have bright futures with the Flames. They're fun to watch.

Also really liked AOM, Ehliz.......Valimaki and Kylington were both ok but both need some seasoning in the AHL. Same with Gawdin.

Ruzicka I thought was pretty bad in limited viewing. Brule was pretty invisible. Little Z didn't play a lot.

I thought the entire defense was pretty good. The goaltending was great. Fun game to watch, glad to see those kids skate and work hard. Hope to see that all year.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2018, 11:31 PM   #264
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Its not a crazy scenario. Sign Glass, Back up Parsons in stockton, have a trade chip to do something with.
I think Gillies’ potential is worth more to the Flames than we would get for him in a trade.

It’s not like the backup in the AHL fails to get in games. They often play multiple games on each weekend and thus both goalies will see significant playing time. Also since people are worried about goalie injuries do we really wanna deplete our depth in that area? I’d be a lot more confident going with Rittich/Gillies in the NHL this year if Smith went down than one of them and Parsons/Glass. Imagine two goalies in the organization go down at the same time. Then we’d realky be glad to have depth. Do people forget the year with Trefilov, Moss and Garner all seeing NHL time? I guess that might predate the fandom of some of you.

It’s a bit crazy to me. Parsons will likely need a few years in the minors. Gillies probably still could use a year. Doesn’t make any sense to trade any of them right now IMO. You don’t acquire depth at a position merely to trade away that depth. Parsons backing up in the AHL is perfect for him this year. Rittich backing up in the NHL is perfect for him. Gillies starting in the AHL is perfect for him. Don’t see any reason to disrupt that, lose depth and then be in a worse position when injuries hit.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 04:34 AM   #265
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
I thought Valimaki had a good game outside a few lapses. Had that nice pass to Phillips for the first goal. Still needs to be in the AHL, his season will be interesting to watch.
Actually that was Brule that passed it to Phillips. Valimaki got the second assist. Also Valimaki is only 19 so its either the nhl or the Dub.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:40 AM   #266
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveSeven View Post
Wow Parsons is CRAZY athletic and flexible :O
He models his ge after Jonathan quick his favourite player

Many scouts and commentators often remark how he is like Quick. I know CP loves to say he resembles Kippersouff but Kipper was never that great outside of 2 years wheee he was elite. The majority of the time he was average . Blasphemy I know but it is true. I want elite year after year and quick is so Im happy most think this.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:50 AM   #267
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Also Valimaki is only 19 so its either the nhl or the Dub.
Nope.

https://flamesnation.ca/2018/07/06/j...or-pro-hockey/
Quote:
Valimaki is in a unique position. He’s filled out physically from his draft year, adding some muscle (he’s thicker now) and rounding out his game. He turns 20 during the first week of October, so he’s both eligible for the American Hockey League and in a position where his NHL contract will “slide” for a season if he doesn’t play 10 big league games.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 04:55 AM   #268
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
He models his ge after Jonathan quick his favourite player

Many scouts and commentators often remark how he is like Quick. I know CP loves to say he resembles Kippersouff but Kipper was never that great outside of 2 years wheee he was elite. The majority of the time he was average . Blasphemy I know but it is true. I want elite year after year and quick is so Im happy most think this.
you shut your mouth!!
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 04:58 AM   #269
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Well I was simply wrong then
Old 09-20-2018, 04:59 AM   #270
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
you shut your mouth!!
It is true and thentruth hurts some times ...I loved kippers play but it is what it is.

He was only over .920 3 times in his career and his best year was a mere .933 .

The rest of his nhl career was a .900.
It is what it is .....

Brian Elliott over his career was a better goali than kipper if you look at the stats and you and I both know how much cp hates Elliot.

Kipper in reality was never that good we all love his story. 3rd string goalie that came out of no where to get us into the cup final. After that we loved him no matter what. He really was just average ... so was every Calgary flames roster in his tenure thats why we couldnt even win a single round of the playoffs.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=15587

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 09-20-2018 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:32 AM   #271
mennoknight
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It is true and thentruth hurts some times ...I loved kippers play but it is what it is.

He was only over .920 3 times in his career and his best year was a mere .933 .

The rest of his nhl career was a .900.
It is what it is .....

Brian Elliott over his career was a better goali than kipper if you look at the stats and you and I both know how much cp hates Elliot.

Kipper in reality was never that good we all love his story. 3rd string goalie that came out of no where to get us into the cup final. After that we loved him no matter what. He really was just average ... so was every Calgary flames roster in his tenure thats why we couldnt even win a single round of the playoffs.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=15587
this should be a perma-bannable offense.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:46 AM   #272
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennoknight View Post
Its true tho. Elliott played 30 games less on average tho. Over 70 games played a yer Kippers normal average gaa was .900 .
Old 09-20-2018, 06:12 AM   #273
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The painful thing about the kipper years was when kipper had a great season, the team in front of him had a bad one, and when the team had a great season, kipper had a bad one. There was only one season where both were great.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 06:30 AM   #274
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Its true tho. Elliott played 30 games less on average tho. Over 70 games played a yer Kippers normal average gaa was .900 .
Mods, can we do something here?
;-)
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 06:34 AM   #275
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennoknight View Post
I stopped reading after Kippersouff.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 08:03 AM   #276
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

To call Brian Elliott a better goalie than Kiprusoff is the very definition of trying to "stir #### up."

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 08:08 AM   #277
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

a Goals Against Average (GAA) of .900 would be Godly

Anyway, please stop talking, you're not being edgy or contrarian, you're just being stupid. Kipper was anything but Average during his time here. Forgive the rest of us for having actually watched the games he played with the flaming C. He could have had a SV% of .200 and he'd still be legendary because the other 20% of those shots shouldn't have been saved either
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 08:16 AM   #278
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give him a break. He just singlehandedly ended the use of a single stat to justify the value or devaluing of a player. That's kind of impressive, and a trend that I'm glad to see go away.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:27 AM   #279
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Also since people are worried about goalie injuries do we really wanna deplete our depth in that area? I’d be a lot more confident going with Rittich/Gillies in the NHL this year if Smith went down than one of them and Parsons/Glass. Imagine two goalies in the organization go down at the same time. Then we’d realky be glad to have depth. Do people forget the year with Trefilov, Moss and Garner all seeing NHL time? I guess that might predate the fandom of some of you.
I don't think people are worried too much about goalie injuries in general. I think people are more specifically worried about Smith going down with injury due to his age, his injury history, and our lack of a proven goalie who can step in should it happen. A combo of Rittich/Glass vs. Rittich/Gillies probably doesn't move the needle too much this season, if an injury to Smith were to happen. Having said that, I think what's being pointed out is a Gillies trade may bring in immediate help that can improve our roster. Depending on what could be gained, it's at least a thought worth considering.

Not sure we need to worry about an unlucky stretch where 3 goalies go down at once. In that unlikely scenario, a team just trades a late round pick for a journeyman goalie to weather the storm...and is likely screwed regardless (unless you're Vegas last year).
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #280
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
Not sure we need to worry about an unlucky stretch where 3 goalies go down at once. In that unlikely scenario, a team just trades a late round pick for a journeyman goalie to weather the storm...and is likely screwed regardless (unless you're Vegas last year).
...Or Tyler Parsons becomes the next Ken Dryden and carries us all the way to the promised land.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canucks suck , go flames go , must win , preseason