Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2018, 08:45 AM   #1421
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
#rehire James Gunn. This was a right-wing hatchet job on someone who criticized the Supreme Leader, and it worked. Nobody should help these people. It's also an example of why I've never liked these internet lynching mobs.
I'm with you on the internet lynching mob stuff, but just as a matter of principle, should it make a difference to his firability whether this was brought to the public's attention by right-wing trolls or someone who was earnestly bothered by the tweets? Either his conduct deserves the result that he got or it doesn't. It's not that we should fire people for horrible offensive tweets but only if the people who made them into news are on the left. That should be irrelevant to the outcome.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #1422
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Chris Hardwick is returning to AMC next month. An interesting development for sure. You'd think their investigation was pretty thorough considering the accusation.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/25/1...ng-dead-return
This will be interesting to see, I mean, the allegations against him were unreal, perhaps too much so.

Lets see what happens when this all shakes out, because he was portrayed as a monster and I dont think you can make that kind of thing go away, so either that portrayal was exaggerated or erroneous or some weird stuff is going on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
So the convicted rapist know as Brock Turner is in the news again. For some reason, a lot of the articles I’m seeing about this clown call him the ‘Ex-Stanford Swimmer’ or ‘Ex-Stanford Student’, which is infuriating. He’s a convicted rapist. Call a spade a spade, cowards.

Anyway, his lawyer is arguing that the rapists conviction should be overturned, because:

Which apparently means, this lawyer alleges, that the rapist, Brock Turner didn’t actually intend to rape his victim because he has his clothes on:

Luckily the judge isn’t having it:

It’s insane to me that Brock Turner the rapist doesn’t just go away and hide. He can’t be helping his cause at all by pulling stunts like this, especially after he was already handed a lenient sentence. Here's the articles:

Ex-Stanford swimmer appeals sexual assault conviction:

https://apnews.com/cdfccbc0d515437aa...ult-conviction

Brock Turner sought 'outercourse' with victim, says lawyer for ex-Stanford student:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...lt-outercourse

As always, Elaine Lui (Lainey) nails it:
That reminds me of another case where some kid from Texas was trying to say that he didnt understand consequences because of his privilege? I'm glad the judge isnt having any of it but its still insane to me that they put that through.

It seems like the Law really needs a degree of common sense applied to it.

What a time to be alive.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #1423
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Ahh the infamous "Affluenza" case. Yeah that ####face got to walk for driving drunk and killing four pedestrians because he was too rich and had everything handed to him, so he couldn't understand right from wrong (wonder if this approach would have worked for a straight murder...). The little #######'s mom actually helped him lam it later on when he violated probation, and he ended up getting arrested in Mexico (I think he got like 3 years in jail after that).

Would be hilarious if the judge reviewed Turner's case and actually chose to re-sentence him more harshly. More than likely he has a future in the Trump administration.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:47 PM   #1424
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm with you on the internet lynching mob stuff, but just as a matter of principle, should it make a difference to his firability whether this was brought to the public's attention by right-wing trolls or someone who was earnestly bothered by the tweets? Either his conduct deserves the result that he got or it doesn't. It's not that we should fire people for horrible offensive tweets but only if the people who made them into news are on the left. That should be irrelevant to the outcome.
That's where I'm currently at on this whole #rehire thing, too. So now, who brought the situation to light and why also matters, and not just what the situation was? That opens up a whole big can of worms.

I've kind of been wondering what the reaction to tweets of that nature would if, say...John Oliver had brought them to the public attention on his show, and they were from a Republican Senator. Would folks be shouting #rehire?
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #1425
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The Guardians of the Galaxy cast has released an open letter in support of James Gunn.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 03:52 PM   #1426
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Rehire Gunn and fire Pom for that stupid ass signature.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 04:36 PM   #1427
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hahaha I was going to comment on that too. What's with the H? Meanwhile, Bautista's is super classy. I guess he's had to sign a lot from his wrestling days, although you'd think in that case you'd have a really simple and quick one.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #1428
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I think those are ff's not an H.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:56 PM   #1429
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Hahaha I was going to comment on that too. What's with the H? Meanwhile, Bautista's is super classy. I guess he's had to sign a lot from his wrestling days, although you'd think in that case you'd have a really simple and quick one.
Dave is going to have some serious carpal tunnel problems in his old age, but I must commend him on his penmanship. Thats a hell of a signature.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:24 PM   #1430
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you do an image search for his autograph, it's much more like the typical scrawl you see from celebrity autographs. He isn't signing hundreds of things at Wrestlemania with David M. Bautista Jr.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:16 PM   #1431
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not exactly high profile but I think it fits well here:

Not all young men are sexually obsessed, says Court of Appeals

Quote:
An 18-year-old woman accused Tim Robbins and Josh Deschamps, two young soldiers, of raping her at a Montreal hotel in 2008.

Robbins, 21 years old at the time, denied having even taken part in the sexual relationship. He claimed to have fallen on Deschamps and the young woman having sex in the bathroom of their room, but swore that he had turned around, went to bed and fell asleep immediately.

Impossible, assessed Judge Manon Ouimet of the Court of Quebec in 2015: "For any normal young man, it is an exciting scene. "The court does not believe he quickly left the bathroom," she explained. Knowing what was going on in the bathroom and for the same reason, the Court does not believe that he fell asleep immediately. She sentenced him to 15 months in prison.

Judge Manon Ouimet believed that "because of his young age, [Tim Robbins] could only want to attend or even participate" in the sexual relationship, the Court of Appeal lamented in a decision released in mid-July.

This reflection, based on the sex and the age of the accused, is very problematic, the court has just decided by granting a new trial to the young man. "The judge's comments are unfortunate," the court wrote. "They use prejudices and stereotypes, which is an error of law."
http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/ju...1_section_POS3
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:21 PM   #1432
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty dangerous that a judge can just pass off assumption in a sentencing that "any normal young man" would hang around. Many of times when I was young I have opened a bathroom or bedroom door at a party to find people going at it and I don't recall ever standing there gawking or jumping in as I would quickly close the door while saying sorry. I'm really surprised a judge could have that opinion quite frankly as the basis of their job is to be nonpartisan.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 07-31-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:51 PM   #1433
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It’s disgusting he can make that type of ruling. Disgusting and yes dangerous.
RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:02 PM   #1434
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKlit View Post
It’s disgusting he can make that type of ruling. Disgusting and yes dangerous.
She*

Sexist bias is what was applied here.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:25 AM   #1435
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It was a typo.
RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:38 AM   #1436
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Not exactly high profile but I think it fits well here:

Not all young men are sexually obsessed, says Court of Appeals

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/ju...1_section_POS3

This to me is pretty equivalent to the judge that told a young woman to dress less provocatively and keep her legs closed. This judge needs to be fired because her preconceived notion is really dangerous.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:36 AM   #1437
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1031351958072963077
Old 08-20-2018, 07:47 AM   #1438
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

From her instagram...wow.

Dirty language.
NSFW!

https://www.instagram.com/p/ZGpU0_Iw...ource=ig_embed
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:50 AM   #1439
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Who's Jazzbandhands, he's certainly lighting her up on that page.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:56 AM   #1440
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know how I feel about this one. Of course there's an irony, but it doesn't change what Harvey Weinstein allegedly did to her nor does it change what the MeToo movement is about. If anything it goes to emphasis its importance as it's another case of sexual assault that was just paid off and forgotten for years.

However, it sounds like (although I could be mistaken) they just had sex when he was 17. It doesn't sound like she was in a position of authority or was otherwise groomed or coerced into it. If so, what she did would be perfectly legal in Alberta.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote