Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #181
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housley4Prez View Post
Magic Hands, but shows very little mental toughness, and disappears when we need him the most.
What an absolute pile of steaming crap.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #182
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I have a list of personnel I want gone.
Gully
Cameron
Sigalet
Ferland
Brouwer

Those guys for sure for sure I want gone and openly want them gone.

Player I can see being moved regardless of who they are
Hamilton
Stone
Brodie
Backlund (Something about his interview the day he signed kind of set me back. He wasn't %100 certain he was going to be in Calgary the entire duration of his contract. Could have been him just being open minded about the business itself but he definitely was aware this isn't guaranteed to keep him in Calgary)
Folik

Who shouldn't be moved unless the price is right

Gaudreau
Monahan
Gio
Bennett
Janko

UNTOUCHABLE
Tkachuk

Even then thats a stretch because no one is safe ever. But yeah I'd lock Tkachuk in as untouchable.

The rest is what they are. Depth. Except Smith, he's a clear stop gap and I dont see him here beyond next season. I just hope we get one playoff run with him.
Would be stunned if we don't find out on garbage bag day that Ferland has been playing hurt for the last half of this season.

Bennett on the other hand pouts like nobody's business and has been garbage this season. If Jankowski got the time with Gaudreau that Bennett was gifted with, Jankowski would have scored 25 this year.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robbie111 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #183
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I'd love to see Bennett embrace more of a hard-nosed role on the team. He's a tough little bugger, we've all seen that. I think he could become a real problem for other teams if he evolved into a physical type guy who plays an honest game and makes the other teams answer for chippy play. I think he could carve out a long career for himself as a banger who can contribute with points when needed.
I’m a (was a) top five Bennett fan boy in this board.

If he learns to be awesome somewhere else, great for him. He seems like he will never fulfil his potential here. If Lazar got a 2nd lol, Bennett should be worth a late 1st.

Oh, wait. I guess we can’t trade with BT. The oprah of the draft.

‘You get a second, and you get a second, and you do, and you do!!!’

Last edited by Badgers Nose; 04-10-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:13 PM   #184
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Trade a defenseman for a forward, a top forward. That may mean trading Hamilton. Or at the very least trading Stone/Brodie plus a Ferland. This seems like the clear answer to me. Add a top guy into the forward ranks to compliment Gaudreau, Chucky, Monohan, etc

Add a UFA Dman who is seen as a leader in the dressing room and on the ice. Bring up Rasmus Andersson.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #185
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Trade a defenseman for a forward, a top forward. That may mean trading Hamilton. Or at the very least trading Stone/Brodie plus a Ferland. This seems like the clear answer to me. Add a top guy into the forward ranks to compliment Gaudreau, Chucky, Monohan, etc

Add a UFA Dman who is seen as a leader in the dressing room and on the ice. Bring up Rasmus Andersson.
So do you think Hamilton could net a Hall? I know hes no Larsson though.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:18 PM   #186
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie111 View Post
Would be stunned if we don't find out on garbage bag day that Ferland has been playing hurt for the last half of this season.

Bennett on the other hand pouts like nobody's business and has been garbage this season. If Jankowski got the time with Gaudreau that Bennett was gifted with, Jankowski would have scored 25 this year.
I think Janko could've pushed for 25 sure if he was benfitted some top line minutes.

Bennett is pouty? thats a first. I have him valued more than Ferland because he is 4 years younger. There's time left for him. For whatever reason, He's just not a fit in this system the coaches use. Im confident in that.

I have and always been incredibly frustrated watching Ferland play hockey. When he is on his game he is great. But he so inconsistent it is maddening.
The only thing consistent with Ferly is his inconsistency. Year after year we see this guy who can outright dominate, but more often than not he's a ghost.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:19 PM   #187
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Out of everything the thing that bothers me the most is that we paid Gio significant dollars/term to do what... on-ice is good and declining but I can't help but think he's a dud in the locker room if we're talking about all of these problems.

PS surprised we don't have names yet btw...
Dr. Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #188
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This gaudreau bs is so bizarre to me. Do you guys not watch him? He is like 60% of our offence. He is better than Kane. He is small but even still you see him engage physically like hitting byfuglien. He is competitive as hell. Johnny won’t get traded, he is the flames until they can get him more help.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #189
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lets not all forget the direction the Penguins were heading under Johnston. The Penguins were starting to be written off as a team that was ever going to win a cup again. They were playing a stifling defensive game and it sapped creativity from Crosby and Malkin as that team was heading down the toilet fast with heated player only meetings. With the team out of the playoff race Rutherford fired Johnston where he was critical of the powerplay (26th overall) and how it wasn't capitalizing on the talent they had on the roster. Well we all know what a simple coaching change meant to that organization. The solution was always in the locker room and simply needed better strategy, direction, and leadership from the coaching staff.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #190
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I am speculating I would think Backlund. He was more like a third liner the whole year and the whole year he didn't get bumped down to allow Jankowski to play on the second line with Tkachuk. If it was up to me I would be bumping him and Frolik down a line and getting some help on the second line or trading them if not. Its also possible Ferklund thinks hes a first liner now. He seems to have lost the edge to his game. Monahan doest really have much of a two way game imo even though he was supposed to be a two way forward. He seems to be an opportunist who hangs around waiting for tap ins on Johnny's passes ie. personal stats. Maybe he doesn't want to be bumped down by Jankowski either. But Jankowski clearly should be with either Johnny on line 1 or Tkachuck on line 2.

so tldr: One of Backlund, Ferland or Monahan or none and its bad coaching

Last edited by Psytic; 04-08-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #191
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
Out of everything the thing that bothers me the most is that we paid Gio significant dollars/term to do what... on-ice is good and declining but I can't help but think he's a dud in the locker room if we're talking about all of these problems.

PS surprised we don't have names yet btw...
I have to disagree with you on Gio being a Dud in the room,to paraphrase GG
Gio is an Ali foundation recipient and then people question his character?
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #192
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Francis with Kerr: Who is going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Sure but clearly he has excelled in Pittsburgh because he isn't "The Man".
Do you disagree? What makes Johnny different from Phil?

Any organization that makes a winger “the man” on their team is going to fail, good grief do we as Flames fans know that better than most.

It’s clear that Backlund and Monahan are not a good enough 1-2 punch down the middle though. So how do you fix that? Trading Gaudreau opens another big hole...GM’ing is tough sledding, and as Flames fans we’re frustratingly exposed to the most incompetent, or one of the most incompetent, managements in the NHL.

4 playoff round victories in 29 years is a special kind of incompetence. Is Treliving the guy who’s going to correct that path of failure? This summer will be a huge test for him.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #193
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Jiri's point was that the Flyers made a similar move because they felt they couldn't win with Carter and Richards.

But the Kings won with Carter and Richards, showing that the initial assumption was incorrect. Therefore his point was moot.

The Flames most definitely can win with Gaudreau. What they need is another top forward, not to trade the only one they've got.
How does LA winning disprove Philly’s assumption? Just because they didn’t win without Carter and Richards doesn’t mean they would have won with them.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #194
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like a discussion to sacrifice key Flames players over saving an idiot roster wrecking coach and the unaccountable GM that hired him.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #195
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

So we either have players who are coach killers or coaches who are player killers.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 01:30 PM   #196
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
Sounds like a discussion to sacrifice key Flames players over saving an idiot roster wrecking coach and the unaccountable GM that hired him.
It really doesn’t.

This is the most bizarre witch hunt overreaction thread I’ve ever read on CP, bar none.

Most of you guys aren’t responding or even reading any of the posts regarding Johnny. You’re literally just reading other people’s hilarious overreactions and then taking it up a couple of notches with the hysteria.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #197
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
So we either have players who are coach killers or coaches who are player killers.
Sidney Crosby is a coach killer.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #198
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s a valid position for sure.

We can hire AV and find out a year from now I suppose.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #199
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Umm no. We are capable of talking about other things outside the coach
This thread doesn’t mean the coach should stay
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #200
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
How does LA winning disprove Philly’s assumption? Just because they didn’t win without Carter and Richards doesn’t mean they would have won with them.
The reason Carter went on to win in la is because they have Doughty, Kopitar and Quick. He is arguably not amongst even their top five most important guys
I think philly made themselves better with those deals
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: