Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #101
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Plett View Post
Last year when a Gerard Gallant was unexpectedly available.
Tre hired the wrong GG!!!
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #102
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Does anyone know whether Sutter would accept the offer?
Everyone has a price.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:58 AM   #103
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Tre hired the wrong GG!!!
This team had two chances to fire Gulutzan and hire Gallant and spurned them both. It's depressing to think about.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #104
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brad will hold on to GG as long as possible, he will be here for at least the rest of the season if not longer. No accountability with this team, ever
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #105
Tailgator
Scoring Winger

Exp:

GG really quickly put his stamp on this team. From “always earned, never given”, to “always given, never earned” and now to “well, golly, this sure isn’t working, but stick with it....it will soon, I promise”.
Tailgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:11 PM   #106
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's no use waiting a month to fire GG - by then, the Flames might very well be completely out of the playoff picture. If they want a chance to make the playoffs - fire him now. I think that he has had a lot of time to get this team playing in a consistent manner. I really doubt anything is going to change with GG running the show.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:18 PM   #107
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Everyone has a price.
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:01 AM   #108
Calgary_81
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bump... Also good call Shin Pad ( 2 posts above)
Calgary_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:15 AM   #109
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should have been canned in December.

Dallas 2.0

Regular season Postseason
G W L OTL Pts Finish Result
DAL 2011–12 82 42 35 5 89 4th in Pacific Missed playoffs
DAL 2012–13 48 22 22 4 48 5th in Pacific Missed playoffs
CGY 2016–17 82 45 33 4 94 4th in Pacific Lost in First Round (ANA)
Total 212 109 90 13 231
combustiblefuel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:28 AM   #110
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's amazing how the topic of this thread wasn't given more thought - both on this board and within the organization. As a result, here we are with the season wasted! Could have been saved if people were proactive and willing to assess the situation clearly, but it never happened. Willful blindness leads to organizational failure.

It also goes to show how many believers there still were in December and how people with their blinders on mocked anyone with a desenting view! A lot of people need to be more open about the opposing view when having a discussion. Seek to find truth, not to win. Because whether or not you win the argument in moment, the truth remains unchanged. And eventually the truth comes out. And when the truth comes out later rather than sooner...it's often to late to fix the damage
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:29 AM   #111
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
It's amazing how the topic of this thread wasn't given more thought - both on this board and within the organization. As a result, here we are with the season wasted! Could have been saved if people were proactive and willing to assess the situation clearly, but it never happened. Willful blindness leads to organizational failure.

It also goes to show how many believers there still were in December and how people with their blinders on mocked anyone with a desenting view! A lot of people need to be more open about the opposing view when having a discussion. Seek to find truth, not to win. Because whether or not you win the argument in moment, the truth remains unchanged. And eventually the truth comes out. And when the truth comes out later rather than sooner...it's often to late to fix the damage
I was willing to cut Gulutzan a bit of slack, because during the time of the win streak this team actually looked pretty damn good, just as they did for large portions of the stretch drive last season when they sealed the deal on a playoff spot. I really thought they were about to pull it off in a similar fashion this season, and I bet most others did too when this team was on top of their game. We were holding on to a playoff spot well into the new year, so it's not like it was a bizarre proposition to be somewhat optimistic about the teams chances down the stretch. Sure, the wheels fell off, and Gultzan had no response, as he is not a good coach at the NHL level which most of us have known for quite some time, but the season might as well have gone the other way, like last year.

But, you know, good on you for wreaking havoc calling people blind and everything with the luxury of having the answers readily available.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crapshoot For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 04:38 AM   #112
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Has catapult and/or rocket in combination with the sun been mentioned?
Dajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #113
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Who's the replacement?
Quenville or Trotz. Someone who has a proven track record.
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #114
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

He should be fired literally the second the last game is over. No point in doing it before that unless you are giving the job to an assistant. Given that any assistant getting the job, outside of maybe Gelinas, would likely cause a riot, that is not an option.

Walk into the dressing room right after the last game and fire him in front of all the players. Tell him and the players that season was not acceptable whatsoever and assure the players that there will be moves and to look around because many of the faces you see here will not be here next year.

Drop mic, leave room.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #115
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If the plan is to move on from GG (and how can it not be at this point), then I think that the Monday after the season ends he'll be released. The Flames need to position themselves to be ready to pounce if/when the coach they want becomes available.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #116
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
He should be fired literally the second the last game is over. No point in doing it before that unless you are giving the job to an assistant. Given that any assistant getting the job, outside of maybe Gelinas, would likely cause a riot, that is not an option.

Walk into the dressing room right after the last game and fire him in front of all the players. Tell him and the players that season was not acceptable whatsoever and assure the players that there will be moves and to look around because many of the faces you see here will not be here next year.

Drop mic, leave room.
Yeah, that's idiotic. I get that people are mad, but doing that does nothing but get your organization sued. Its not the 40's anymore.

And I get it, I'm onboard with GG being let go.

But what do you think is going to happen here?

That they're going to hire a super coach? That coach Q is going to be fired and come to a team with a track record of firing coaches?

And do you think that a team that's making 5 million or less in profit is going to bring in a $5 million dollar coach while still paying GG?

Sure they might, but I doubt it, but if they did then expect 5 million in payroll to go out the door.

We're going to get a new coach and its either going to come from the NHL's assistants pool, or some retread. Who knows what kind of coach this group can function with. They had a brutal task master in Hartley, and celebrated when he was gone, so the Flames got a technical coach that fostered relationships with the players and when the going got tough this group of players threw up the white flag and started booking airline tickets out of town. "Gee coach, maybe we could just skip the rest of the games and stay here in Arizona".

Not going to happen.

And sitting there and firing the coach in front of the players and whining that its unacceptable while firing the coach. How about tying up the Captains and assistants and giving them the old 40 lashes with the cat o nine tails? That'd show em you mean bidness.

I get it, its a lurid fantasy. If I was the owner I'd strut in and shoot the coach in the head in front of the players and then quip something clever like "Your coaching certificate has just been revoked". But say it with a scowl while blowing the smoke from the barrel.

How about this instead.

Two days after the season ends you call a press conference. "Yeah, we've fired Glen, we found that the results of this season weren't what we wanted or needed. We appreciate Glen's efforts and wish him luck in his future opportunities."

Then in the players one on one meetings, you rip their heads off for quitting on the team.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #117
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think ritualistic human sacrifice to appease the hockey gods should at least be considered.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #118
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'll get the "Kiss the Chef" blood proof sacrifice aprons.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #119
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's sad to read the earlier posts from when they still had time to salvage the season.

Stupid stick throw streak only delayed the inevitable while taking the season with it.

Also ####, Gallant would've been the best hire. Imagine Vegas' work ethic with this team.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #120
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I say get Maury to do it.

The results determined....you are NOT the coach.