Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2018, 08:59 AM   #161
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASP#26525 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #162
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post

Sweet seats Cali Flames Fan. Looks like you bought the whole section!
just shows how idiotic the talk is about the Flames being the team most likely to move to Seattle/Houston...

how a team is still in Florida is mindboggling
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #163
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Re: empty seats
To be fair there was a board ad for Jeff Dunham which would be enough to scare thousands away.

Last edited by Toonage; 01-13-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:05 AM   #164
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Florida has a sweet lease from Broward County. They're going nowhere.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 09:07 AM   #165
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
Sorry I hurt your feelings.
LOL, way to make a stand.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #166
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
just shows how idiotic the talk is about the Flames being the team most likely to move to Seattle/Houston...

how a team is still in Florida is mindboggling
So if I may...

The building is often more full than that, especially on a weekend game. Being an out of conference opponent with almost nobody from Calgary living down here, it's not the strongest draw.

But that being said, the section that you always see on tv looking so empty is the Club Lexus section. The seats come with access to a private lounge for the entire game with comfortable seating, waiter service, incredible food buffets, full bar, and lots of TVs to watch the game everywhere you sit. It's basically like having a really big shared private box. If you looked yesterday for tickets in that section, there were about 4 or 5 available. The entire section was pretty much sold out, yet most people hang out in the lounge for large sections of the game. Some people never make it out of there at all, preferring the comfortable seating.

I know it looks bad on t.v., but it wasn't really that bad. It's still a LOT more full than Arizona or some other arenas around the league. People will still go to the games as long as the Panthers have a shot at the playoffs. They tend to lose interest when they're out of it (and most fan bases are like that too). The year that they were over 100 points, games were regularly sold out and there was a healthy buzz around the team.

It's just a situation that requires some sustained success, which the Panthers have never really had. I honestly don't believe that the team is going anywhere. They can't spend to the cap every year, but it's not unsustainable either.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #167
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I hope the Flames aren't in a hurry to shed goaltenders.

Lack was a smart move until someone showed they were ready, they promote Rittich, does the job and then moved Lack to make room on the farm to promote Parsons.

But Smith is 35 with another year left on his deal.

If Rittich continues on his way it wouldn't be a terrible thing to have Gillies pushing him in a young tandem with Parsons wanting in.
I think this is exactly the plan, and I would be surprised if the management group hasn't been open with the players about their projected timing.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:22 AM   #168
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

CP consistently overrates our goalie prospects, no one should be sparing any thought to Gillies and his "situation". His situation right now is to split games in the AHL with Parsons until he proves that he's ready for the next level by being one of the top 5 goalies, like Rittich did. Rittich having success in 5 NHL games so far does nothing to change that.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:31 AM   #169
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cali I'm interested in your takeaways from the game from those seats. Or were you too wasted heh
Old 01-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #170
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Very pleased with the month of January thus far.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:36 AM   #171
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
CP consistently overrates our goalie prospects, no one should be sparing any thought to Gillies and his "situation". His situation right now is to split games in the AHL with Parsons until he proves that he's ready for the next level by being one of the top 5 goalies, like Rittich did. Rittich having success in 5 NHL games so far does nothing to change that.

Eh. When was the last time the Flames had a back up who has been a part of the solution and not a part of the problem? Rittich has earned some excitement from flames from fans. And Gillies and Parson are right where they need to be at this point. No reason to be down on them or discount their development. I don't think the flames have ever had this kind of goaltending stable developed from within.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #172
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Rittich stole the game. I think the Flames played a pretty solid road game, especially on the 2nd half of a back to back where the 1st half was a spirited track meet.

One thing I found interesting last night was that it was possibly the first game all year where I absolutely knew, from the moment they dropped the puck, that the Flames were getting 2 points.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #173
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
So if I may...

The building is often more full than that, especially on a weekend game. Being an out of conference opponent with almost nobody from Calgary living down here, it's not the strongest draw.

But that being said, the section that you always see on tv looking so empty is the Club Lexus section. The seats come with access to a private lounge for the entire game with comfortable seating, waiter service, incredible food buffets, full bar, and lots of TVs to watch the game everywhere you sit. It's basically like having a really big shared private box. If you looked yesterday for tickets in that section, there were about 4 or 5 available. The entire section was pretty much sold out, yet most people hang out in the lounge for large sections of the game. Some people never make it out of there at all, preferring the comfortable seating.

I know it looks bad on t.v., but it wasn't really that bad. It's still a LOT more full than Arizona or some other arenas around the league. People will still go to the games as long as the Panthers have a shot at the playoffs. They tend to lose interest when they're out of it (and most fan bases are like that too). The year that they were over 100 points, games were regularly sold out and there was a healthy buzz around the team.

It's just a situation that requires some sustained success, which the Panthers have never really had. I honestly don't believe that the team is going anywhere. They can't spend to the cap every year, but it's not unsustainable either.
Thanks for the context... i know that its gotta be tough for die hard fans like you and Bouw in Arizona.

i certainly am not hoping for anyone to lose their team, i meant to suggest simply that even with the current troubles with the arena, Calgary plays in a market with a strong fanbase and certainly should not be one of the first franchise people talk of when relocation talk pops up
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #174
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Eh. When was the last time the Flames had a back up who has been a part of the solution and not a part of the problem? Rittich has earned some excitement from flames from fans. And Gillies and Parson are right where they need to be at this point. No reason to be down on them or discount their development. I don't think the flames have ever had this kind of goaltending stable developed from within.
Ortio went on a similar run.
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #175
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnner View Post
So???

Why can't fans be excited that they may now finally have a competent if not a very good backup goalie?
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #176
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnner View Post

Ortio won some games in a row but never had a stretch like this. Rittich has a 932 save percentage
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #177
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So much better on CP when things are sunny and everyone is playing nice, rather than grey and cloudy and everyone argueing like we are in a school playground.
Long may this run last.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #178
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
So if I may...

I can vouch for the amazingness of the Club Lexus section.

Bought some tickets on StubHub to sit there when the Flames were there in Nov. 2015.

I don’t fault people for spending more time at the buffets/bars in that section at all.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #179
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I never saw Ortio play to this level. He was always far more about hope than actual performance.

That’s the thing with any goalie prospect....until they do it in the NHL with some consistency, you really don’t know what you have.

It’s looking like we may have something legitimate in Rittich.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #180
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Glancing at hockeydb...not much you can use to argue against Rittich right now from a stats standpoint it would seem. 2.03 GAA and .932 in his six games this year. Of course, being a goalie, everything could come catastrophically plummeting down to earth at any moment, but the guy has sure been making a case at the AHL and NHL levels so far.