Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should the Flames fire Gulutzan
Yes 464 64.90%
No 251 35.10%
Voters: 715. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 08:36 PM   #541
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was at a 3 hour coaching seminar a few years ago and Gulutzan was speaking. No doubt he understands the systems of the game. The x's and o's, incredibly well.

I definitely understand the hiring of him. Where he fails though is in the game beyond the systems. He has his ideas and forces them regardless of success and fights off adapting or changing for so long you begin to question his sanity. His player utilization in terms of his lines, when to put who on the ice and when not to, are horrible. I can't say for sure if he's a bad motivator but there are definitely no reasons to think he's a good one. The power play seems god awful at utilizing our skilled forwards OR defense.

This is probably the best roster he has had to coach and still yields mediocre results. If we don't win 4 of the next 6 then I'll definitely vote to fire.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:27 AM   #542
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hope today is the day! Ive got a feeling!!!!
Old 01-02-2018, 06:47 AM   #543
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Was curious about how well we're doing in regulation since GG's arrival, compared to our divisional rivals:

ANA 55-37 .598, 10-7 PO
SJ 54-41 .568, 2-4 PO
EDM 50-45 .526, 7-6 PO
LA 42-46 .477
CGY 44-49 .473, 0-4 PO
VAN 34-51 .400
ARZ 24-69 .258

Also included the playoff stats if applicable.

Now I'm late for supper, so not able to comment further just yet, but figured I'd share.
3 on 3 has been a saving grace for this team. That said this team simply hasn't been good enough 5 on 5. It's saying something that the Oilers and Kings have been better.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:23 AM   #544
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun has a good interview with Darryl Sutter from his family farm in Viking, AB. I post this because there has been some mention on CP of Sutter possibly being hired to coach if Glen is fired.

Quote:
LEBRUN: Darryl, thanks for taking a few minutes. It’s been a while since we’ve talked. I think the most obvious question to start is whether the fire still burns within you to come back to the NHL if the offer was right and the fit was right?
SUTTER: Yeah I think those are both the most important things. A Stanley Cup team or what you think is a team that had a chance. And obviously, the city would be really important, too. But it’s not like I was 20 years ago (after the San Jose job), it’s quite a bit different now. I think it’s been nice, quite honest, just to be home and see the grandchildren a lot more, things like that.
Quote:
LEBRUN: Just to go back to your own future, I want to make sure I understand where you’re at, but it sounds like if you get back to a real good fit and position, then great, but if not, it sounds like you’re content in life. Is part of that the fact you’ve won a couple of Stanley Cups? Or also just more life experience under your belt?
SUTTER: Probably both. When I wanted to go back last time it ate away at you that I had lost a Game 7 Stanley Cup (with Calgary against Tampa in 2004). Unless you’ve won or lost in the final, it’s hard to explain that you want to go back there. Losing Game 7 with Calgary, it made me want to go back; and once you win it, you want to win it again. I guess, yeah, experience is part of it. My goal going back would be to win the Stanley Cup, quite honest that would be the No. 1 thing. It’s not like I have to (coach again). I understand the way the cyclical thing works with coaches and all that. Good coaches are usually 5-6-7 years in one place and then it kind of filters from there. I’ve enjoyed what I’ve done this fall and winter and we’ll just go from there. I’ve been really lucky, as a coach I’ve only been in four really good cities, heck we’ve been in Chicago, San Jose, Calgary and L.A., you can’t beat that.
https://theathletic.com/200363/2018/...he-right-team/

Last edited by SportsJunky; 01-02-2018 at 07:26 AM.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 07:26 AM   #545
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I believe the timing of these types of interviews is not coincidental. Not so much Gulutzan related but the league in general. We're getting to the time where teams may consider mid season changes and people (or agents on their behalf) want their names out there.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:44 AM   #546
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
I hope today is the day! Ive got a feeling!!!!
I have a feeling too, that you are going to be disappointed.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #547
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Does anyone remember the quote from Darryl when he first started coaching here, and said something like "we have to win the season series against the Oilers if we want to be a playoff team"?

I can't find it on google, and CP's search doesn't seem to go back that far.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #548
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

That interview gives me the impression Calgary would be extremely high on his list of teams he would want to come coach. Unfortunately Edmonton would likely be on that list as well
Old 01-02-2018, 08:50 AM   #549
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
That interview gives me the impression Calgary would be extremely high on his list of teams he would want to come coach. Unfortunately Edmonton would likely be on that list as well
Sutter did say he wants to coach a team that at least has /a chance/ of winning the Stanley Cup. Beyond 2 or 3 players, I don't see that in Edmonton.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:52 AM   #550
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Good interview and yes, I feel like Calgary would definitely be high on Sutter's list because of two reasons.
1. It's close to his farm.
2. Sutter seems to really be bothered by the fact he lost game seven of the finals during his time in Calgary. To me, winning a cup in Calgary would allow him to finish any unfinished business with this team. I think this, alone, puts the Flames ahead of the Oilers on his list.

I hated the guy as the GM of the team, but I thought he was the best coach the team had. Bring Sutter back!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 09:08 AM   #551
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I get why people want to fire Gulutzan, but I just don't see why Darryl Sutter would be a good replacement, or why he would want to coach this team.

One of the biggest issues with this team right now and has been under Gulutzan is scoring and 5v5 scoring, I don't see Sutter fixing that, as his team's have always struggled to score.

Sutter also likes to have his team's be big and physical, this team doesn't have a much either attribute. So I just can't see this team being a Sutter style team.

I also don't like the idea of going with one of the assistant coaches as interim head coach as that move rarely pays off.

I would rather stay with Gulutzan, make a major move to shake up the team and to add scoring, and then reassess coaching in the off season. See if one of Trotz, Vigneault or Quenneville are available and want to come here.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #552
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
I get why people want to fire Gulutzan, but I just don't see why Darryl Sutter would be a good replacement, or why he would want to coach this team.

One of the biggest issues with this team right now and has been under Gulutzan is scoring and 5v5 scoring, I don't see Sutter fixing that, as his team's have always struggled to score.

Sutter also likes to have his team's be big and physical, this team doesn't have a much either attribute. So I just can't see this team being a Sutter style team.

I also don't like the idea of going with one of the assistant coaches as interim head coach as that move rarely pays off.

I would rather stay with Gulutzan, make a major move to shake up the team and to add scoring, and then reassess coaching in the off season. See if one of Trotz, Vigneault or Quenneville are available and want to come here.
IMO Sutter is desired by some because he's seen as a motivator, and not an Xes and Os guy - kind of the opposite of GG. I think that's unfair to both guys, but Sutter is a darn good coach and would be an upgrade if he came (and I'm not a fire GG guy).
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 09:21 AM   #553
Toonage

Exp:

Not sure I agree with the notion that the Flames don't have a big or physical team. They aren't giants up and down the line up but the Flames do have big physical players. They just aren't playing that way at the moment.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #554
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yes Sutter likes big, bruising players, but he's also the type of coach that can adapt his system to fit the personalities on the team.

The Kings were never that big of a team either.
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 09:30 AM   #555
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Not sure I agree with the notion that the Flames don't have a big or physical team. They aren't giants up and down the line up but the Flames do have big physical players. They just aren't playing that way at the moment.
The way the NHL is these days, 6'2" isn't really considered big any more, and neither is 205. The Flames have only a few guys I'd consider big NHLers: Brouwer, Jankowski, Jagr, Stone, Monahan, Hathaway and Hamilton. Ferland, too, by poundage I guess.

Physical play is by Hathaway, Gio, Tkachuk, Ferland, Brouwer (more than he gets credit for) and sometimes Stone.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:33 AM   #556
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sutter is not just a motivator though, imo he is a master at running the bench and managing the game. His teams are prepared, and come to play.

Would love to see him back in Calgary.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to automaton 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 09:37 AM   #557
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The way the NHL is these days, 6'2" isn't really considered big any more, and neither is 205. The Flames have only a few guys I'd consider big NHLers: Brouwer, Jankowski, Jagr, Stone, Monahan, Hathaway and Hamilton. Ferland, too, by poundage I guess.

Physical play is by Hathaway, Gio, Tkachuk, Ferland, Brouwer (more than he gets credit for) and sometimes Stone.
I see those names and I see the blend of grit and size that Sutter covets. Add Gio and Hamonic to the grit mix. Really, its a team capable of playing a meaner style of hockey, even a heavier one when called upon that just isn't. If someone suggests this wouldn't be a "Sutter team" they are, in my opinion, mistaken.

Edit; And yes, I can't forget Bennett

Last edited by Toonage; 01-02-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:37 AM   #558
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Sutter gets his teams to play big and with confidence. Everyone thinks he played a slow grind em out game...I always thought his Kings and Flames were built around being tough to play against, good positioning and quick transition. I don't think the flames would have any issue playing a D. Sutter system.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:46 AM   #559
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

I bet Bennett would love playing for D. Sutter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #560
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Does anyone remember the quote from Darryl when he first started coaching here, and said something like "we have to win the season series against the Oilers if we want to be a playoff team"?

I can't find it on google, and CP's search doesn't seem to go back that far.
I think his quote was more around measuring success. To paraphrase when he got here success was just beating Edmonton. He wanted to change that to winning period.
Closed Thread