Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #81
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If the landlord is this cheap, chances are he isn't pulling permits. Maybe get a little payback and report it to the city?
It had already been reported to the City quite awhile ago. My guess it may have been some fed up neighbors. It may explain why the City bylaw officer came in February. After all that headache, I did report the "excavations" to 311. I was told there is an ongoing investigation with the residence.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #82
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Superior for him probably (I don't think any additional compensation he'd have got would have been worth the hassle).

But not really superior for tenants in general because the landlord hasn't had any negative consequences for their actions. Terrible landlords give all landlords a bad name.
Yeah that's what I meant. OP already mentioned that there's investigations in place by the city and whatnot, but a small victory by taking some coin out of the landlord's pocket is at least a victory.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #83
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just a quick update to this supposedly resolved dilemma. Even though I left the place in perfect condition on March 31, and left the door open and returned the keys, I recently received a text with a picture of holes in the wall and I was asked what happened. Since I had a feeling this would happen I took the liberty of taking photos of all angles of the suite and insisted they inspect the suite a month ago. Not sure what happened but my roommate was really livid at the landlord switching his locks and mentioned offhand that he should retaliate, so I suppose that may be the case. In any event I just ignored the text.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:41 AM   #84
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

You really pick'em, eh. Landlord & roomates.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 12:18 PM   #85
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToewsFan View Post
Just a quick update to this supposedly resolved dilemma. Even though I left the place in perfect condition on March 31, and left the door open and returned the keys, I recently received a text with a picture of holes in the wall and I was asked what happened. Since I had a feeling this would happen I took the liberty of taking photos of all angles of the suite and insisted they inspect the suite a month ago. Not sure what happened but my roommate was really livid at the landlord switching his locks and mentioned offhand that he should retaliate, so I suppose that may be the case. In any event I just ignored the text.
Did you not complete/sign a move-out report with the landlord after you left?
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #86
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Why would you leave the door open?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #87
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like the roommate really hated you too
Old 05-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #88
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an idea for two new threads.

"Worst landlord of the 21st Century?" and "Tenant vs Landlord: Who are you cheering for?"
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #89
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Did you not complete/sign a move-out report with the landlord after you left?
No. I contact the landlord and they refused to inspect the suite. A couple days later they changed their mind and gave me my damage deposit back meeting me at a Tim Hortons. Not much I can do if they refuse to provide a move out report. I always leave a suite in good Condition Sweep, vacuum, clean any marks etc.

Last edited by ToewsFan; 05-05-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #90
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wish i had played my cards right in life. I've always felt that I have let my loved ones down, and before my folks die I want them to see that I finally made it in life. Maybe there is still time to save up for a condo and rise out of the depression that i currently find myself in. Thank God for calgarypuck. I enjoy interacting with people.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:38 PM   #91
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

You should've let jwslam in to practice some renos.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:39 PM   #92
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am just waiting for the OP to start prank calling his landlord ala Silicon Valley.

"Landlord. This is you as an old man. I'm ugly and I'm dead. Alone."
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #93
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wish i had played my cards right in life. I've always felt that I have let my loved ones down, and before my folks die I want them to see that I finally made it in life. Maybe there is still time to save up for a condo and rise out of the depression that i currently find myself in. Thank God for calgarypuck. I enjoy interacting with people.
I get that buying and owning real estate is a status symbol and that does have some value in itself. After twenty years of owning I sometimes feel a little wonky for renting. But owning isn't always the smartest thing you can do. Unless the market is going up you're better off renting. You're also somewhat tied down when owning property. There's a lot of freedom in keeping your expenses low and not having a potential expensive burden hanging over your head. You can judge success differently if you want to.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #94
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I watched this hearing the Mentos music in my head
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #95
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
You should've let jwslam in to practice some renos.
*Demos.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I get that buying and owning real estate is a status symbol and that does have some value in itself. After twenty years of owning I sometimes feel a little wonky for renting. But owning isn't always the smartest thing you can do. Unless the market is going up you're better off renting. You're also somewhat tied down when owning property. There's a lot of freedom in keeping your expenses low and not having a potential expensive burden hanging over your head. You can judge success differently if you want to.
This. Being able to own a place doesn't mean you're necessarily successful. So what if you own a million dollar house but can only afford to eat Michelina's 3 times a day for the next 30 years... is that success? I'm pretty sure your parents would not be proud of that.

What I see for you is to find somewhere to call home that's comfortable, and be successful in that you are able to provide this for yourself. Regardless of whether you're living by yourself, or with other roommates, you need to be somewhere where you're respected by your roommates and landlord. That's what you need now to be "successful" as an outcome of the stories in this thread. This whole diabolical of bat####crazy landlady and roommates is something to sweep under the rug and move on from.

Last edited by jwslam; 05-05-2017 at 02:25 PM.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:08 PM   #96
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can't think of life that way. Sometimes you just have to sit down and celebrate the fact you haven't gone backwards in life. You can't celebrate only after the journey is done.

Goal posts will move.

It's never too late to show appreciation to your folks. Small things go a long ways. A phone call, grabbing them a misc groceries when you visit, cooking for them, heck just seeing them in general goes a long way. I listen to older generations bicker a lot. How often one sees their children trumps their children's career, bank balance, grand children and possessions any day.

If you are not of the means to visit your folks, then sending them a regular email or even snail mail will go a long way.

Seriously.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:

Tags
bylaw , landlord , rooming house