Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2016, 08:13 AM   #701
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Treliving on 960 hinting that he envisions Brouwer playing with Bennett, but acknowledges that he may end up on the top line.

Nothing set in stone. Says that they are focused more on pairs... not necessarily putting the best 3 players on one line.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2016, 08:22 AM   #702
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Treliving on 960 hinting that he envisions Brouwer playing with Bennett, but acknowledges that he may end up on the top line.

Nothing set in stone. Says that they are focused more on pairs... not necessarily putting the best 3 players on one line.
This makes sense when you consider that Gulutzan, in his intro presser, stated the need to get a good veteran to play with Bennett to shoulder the load.

If you are keeping Bennett at centre, that would mean either playing Brouwer there, breaking up Backlund and Frolik to move Frolik there, or playing Bouma or Stajan on the LW (and likely over their head).

It may mean playing a guy like Chiasson up top, more for what he brings physically as opposed to him being a true top line forward, or you break up Backlund and Frolik anyway

Gaudreau - Monahan - Chiasson/Frolik
Tkachuk - Bennett - Brouwer
Bouma - Backlund - Frolik/Chiasson
Ferland - Stajan - Hathaway
Bollig as the 13th
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:26 AM   #703
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makes sense, I think Bennett can really benefit from playing with a guy like that.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2016, 08:28 AM   #704
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Re: Treliving's interview

He mentioned the following pairings

Gaudreau-Monahan
Backlund-Frolik
Bouma-Stajan

Suggested Brouwer could play along side Bennett but conceded that he would likely play on the 1st line but that would be up to the coach.

Last edited by Toonage; 07-04-2016 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:34 AM   #705
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Opposing D will be nursing some serious bruises after playing against that line.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2016, 08:40 AM   #706
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
I detest posts like this.
I love them. I love watching people get called out. I wish it happened more.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2016, 08:41 AM   #707
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I'd be a lot more comfortable with Tkachuk making the team if he's on the same line with Brouwer, that's for sure. Great pro for Bennett and Tkachuk, I think he'd help them a long way.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #708
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think people who don't like this signing aren't looking at the full picture. It's not just $4.5M / 4 for Brouwer.

You also have to factor in that we got Elliot from the same team. And got Gio as an undrafted player. And the new coach and then Tkachuck in the draft.

So it's really Brouwer + Elliott + Gio + Tkachuk + Glen Gulutzan

Sincerely,

Oiler fans still trying to rationalize the Taylor Hall trade. ;-)

Last edited by JohnnyTitan; 07-04-2016 at 09:07 AM.
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyTitan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #709
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Seriously though, I 100% agree with the group of fans advocating that there's more than stats (or fancy stats) to building a winner.

You need winners. And leadership and guys that stand-up for one another while at the same time fitting our needs. (RW / PP).

This is a great signing. I predict Brouwer will be universally loved by Flames Fans by game #10 this season. You win with guys like Troy Brouwer. I'm stoked!

Last edited by JohnnyTitan; 07-04-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #710
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTitan View Post
I think people who don't like this signing aren't looking at the full picture. It's not just $4.5M / 4 for Brouwer.

You also have to factor in that we got Elliot from the same team. And got Gio as an undrafted player. And the new coach and then Tkachuck in the draft.

So it's really Brouwer + Elliott + Gio + Tkachuk + Glen Gulutzan

Sincerely,

Oiler fans still trying to rationalize the Taylor Hall trade. ;-)
I think it is even beyond that. They model and plan for multiple years. They obviously place a high importance on a strong veteran leadership group. Within the season or before the start of next year, out will be Stajan, Engellend, and Wideman. That is a pretty significant change in the room.

This is still a very young team and Brouwer gets high praise for being a team guy/leader.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #711
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think it is even beyond that. They model and plan for multiple years. They obviously place a high importance on a strong veteran leadership group. Within the season or before the start of next year, out will be Stajan, Engellend, and Wideman. That is a pretty significant change in the room.

This is still a very young team and Brouwer gets high praise for being a team guy/leader.
That's actually a really good point that I didn't think of.

Obviously the Flames will still have Gio as a leader...but losing the names you mentioned (potentially Stajan but maybe not?) gets rid of some bad contracts which we're all excited about, but it also risks "Turning the team over to the kids" ie -> Going full Oiler.

You need some grizzled vets to keep the boys grounded and focussed. Player-coaches if you will. With one year of being a Flame under his belt by next season, Brouwer will no doubt be one of the top three guys the young players will look up to.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #712
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I heard that the Capitals moved him out because he would clash with the leadership group there, but then he was good in St. Louis.

If anything the way the Caps seasons have gone he probably should have clashed more considering they can never get over the hump so to speak.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:03 AM   #713
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I heard that the Capitals moved him out because he would clash with the leadership group there, but then he was good in St. Louis.

If anything the way the Caps seasons have gone he probably should have clashed more considering they can never get over the hump so to speak.
I'm assuming you have a source?
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:06 AM   #714
Knut

Exp:

It was well known at the time that he was calling out players in the Capitals dressing room. Can not seem to find a source.. but it was around the Oshie Trade last summer.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #715
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Assuming he stays healthy like in past seasons, and plays on the top line I would expect 25-25 season and a decent amount of garbage goals infront of the net on the PP.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #716
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
I'm assuming you have a source?
I thought it was mentioned in one of Friedmans 30 thoughts. Maybe clash was the wrong word but I thought it mentioned his leadership style didn't gel well with the Caps leaders (ovechkin and co)
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:14 AM   #717
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
This makes sense when you consider that Gulutzan, in his intro presser, stated the need to get a good veteran to play with Bennett to shoulder the load.

If you are keeping Bennett at centre, that would mean either playing Brouwer there, breaking up Backlund and Frolik to move Frolik there, or playing Bouma or Stajan on the LW (and likely over their head).

It may mean playing a guy like Chiasson up top, more for what he brings physically as opposed to him being a true top line forward, or you break up Backlund and Frolik anyway

Gaudreau - Monahan - Chiasson/Frolik
Bouma - Backlund - Frolik/Chiasson
Ferland - Stajan - Hathaway
Bollig as the 13th
Looks good for the most part, but I think we should be hoping that Shinkaruk plays his way into the opening day line-up. That would push Bouma out of the 3rd line and Hathaway down to first call-up.

I'd like to see Shinkaruk continue to battle for top RW along with Chiasson, Brouwer and Ferland. Frolik is too good of a 3rd liner with Backlund to really mess with that line. He can create his own offense and isn't overly effective with skilled players.

Excited to see who comes to camp in the best shape with the confidence and ability to steal a spot.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #718
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

The signing ...

I'd would have preferred 800K less or one year less but then I get it, UFA signings have a premium and this one doesn't worry me. In one of those Lucic discussions I mentioned something like I'd put a moratorium on any UFA signings over 5M and over 5 years. Glad to see Calgary didn't get into the madness of bonus up front contracts that can't be bought out for guys that clearly will lose a step in a 3-4 years.

The thing that jumped out to me the most was his secondary scoring consistency. Have always liked Brouwer but didn't realize how consistent he was, a huge plus. Loved the Treliving comments about bringing noise to the room. I don't think Giordano is the most vocal guy in the room, would be good to get someone that gets fed up with weak periods etc in the fold, though I admit that's a tight line ... the player has to be living up to the same bargain himself.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #719
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Treliving this morning talked with Boomer about the fact that he met with Brouwer and that Treliving's wife met with Brouwer's wife.

Not particularly earth shattering but I found it interesting how dedicated Brad is to making sure players feel at home.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2016, 01:05 PM   #720
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think people need to realize that we can't just sign stars. Stamkos wasn't coming here. And had he actually done so we would be complaining about the contract too. Same with Lucic or some other higher profile player.

Those that lament about Colborne need to realize that the NHL is not about being the youngest or having the most projects (Colborne was that). It's about winning games and Brouwer will help more than Colborne or any rookie we would otherwise call up.

And the time is ticking on those good ELCs we have, can't exactly wait for some rookie to become a Brouwer 3 years down the road.

I wonder how many people dont like this signing because Brouwer is a large guy and a bruiser. It speaks "truculence" and that's a taboo around here. It's fashionable to disagree with Burke, I get that.
And lastly, if a 4.5 mil contract is that huge a concern then the team is butchered elsewhere. This is not a Luongo contract we are talking here. It's not this contract that will make things difficult down the road.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post: