Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2015, 08:01 PM   #2281
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

A good article from the Providence newspaper about Jankowski's growth over his college career: http://www.providencejournal.com/art...51029717/13933

Quote:
The 6-foot-3 centerman, who has always had very soft hands, is bigger and stronger. With increased muscle has come a more powerful skating stride.

“That’s the big thing -- his strength,’’ says Leaman. “He came in as a weak freshman at 170 (pounds). The next year he played at 180, then 190, and this year he’s playing at 200, 205. That’s the difference.

“He’s always had the game, but he didn’t have the strength to get to the right areas on the ice. He didn’t have the strength to hold onto pucks, to win his battles, to win his faceoffs. I think he can dominate in the traffic areas, where in the past he was getting pushed to the outside. The vision and the skill have always been there.’’

Jankowski can feel the difference. “It’s a huge change from freshman year to now. Now I can use my body to protect pucks and get to the net-front and win battles there for rebounds and second chances. It’s been a real help,’’ he said.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:14 PM   #2282
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
A good article from the Providence newspaper about Jankowski's growth over his college career: http://www.providencejournal.com/art...51029717/13933
I heard he broke the 200 lb level but that he's willing to use his new strength is good news. When I've watched him before, he didn't seem to win any puck battles although he played his position fine. At the finals he looked like another player and I think he gained a lot of confidence.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:20 PM   #2283
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

This kid is going to be such a stud.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:51 AM   #2284
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Providence Friars rise to #2 in the Nation, are unbeaten so far this season.

http://www.abc6.com/story/30414324/p...-in-the-nation

Jankowski has 3g 7a 10 points in 7 games this season and is tied for 8th in the country for points.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2015, 04:58 PM   #2285
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Providence Friars rise to #2 in the Nation, are unbeaten so far this season.

http://www.abc6.com/story/30414324/p...-in-the-nation

Jankowski has 3g 7a 10 points in 7 games this season and is tied for 8th in the country for points.
Great news for the Flames.

Side note - does it bug anyone else when the NCAA makes misleading exaggerations of success by saying things like "best team in the nation" when they really mean "best team in the league"? Or the NFL... sure, if you win the superbowl I'll concede that you're likely the best team in the world, but it feels insincere to brag about being "world champions" when only teams within your country competed.

They both produce products that I enjoy watching, but I find those statements make whoever says them tough to take seriously.

Anyways, way to go Janko
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2015, 05:37 PM   #2286
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

most competitive league in the world + international player base = world champions.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:26 PM   #2287
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Context development charts.

Again, not meant to suggest Jankowski is or will be better or worse than these guys. Just providing some context.

sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2015, 05:38 PM   #2288
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure Hayes is a useful context. Dude played with Johnny Hockey!

...Wait, so did Kreider.

Jankowski is destined to play with Johnny Hockey in the NHL.

...or be a New York Ranger.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2015, 06:25 PM   #2289
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Janko turns into that calibre of player, he will be one of the top players from his draft year.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:33 PM   #2290
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Providence won 3-0 tonight, Janko had the game winning goal and an assist.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #2291
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Im glad that we can now start will he sign panic as opposed to is he a bust panic.

Great start to this season.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:59 PM   #2292
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Im glad that we can now start will he sign panic as opposed to is he a bust panic.

Great start to this season.
Ha!

We are a predictable bunch aren't we!
Old 11-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #2293
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
If Janko turns into that calibre of player, he will be one of the top players from his draft year.
That draft is pretty terrible.

If Jankowski turns into a consistent 20g 25a 2/3rd line centre he'll be one of the three or four best forwards from that draft.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html

Galchenyuk is currently the best point-producer from that draft and he's a .54 ppg so far and averaging 17 goals a season.

Edit: Wow, that draft is terrrrriibbbllleee. If the top end of that draft class continues to produce at their current rate, the career comparable for the best forwards in the draft is Curtis Glencross. Over his career, Glencross maintained a .54 ppg pace and averaged 21 goals a season.

A reminder, Glencross was an undrafted player whose career highs were 26 goals, 27 assists, and 48 points. He also never played a full 82 games.

Now, that draft class is just entering their 22-year old season, right at the beginning of their peak years, so we should see an uptick in the scoring rates, but wow that's bad.

Last edited by driveway; 11-23-2015 at 11:40 PM.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 09:35 PM   #2294
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calling it:

Forsberg >= Jankowski > Any other forward in the 2012 Draft

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 11-24-2015, 12:01 AM   #2295
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I hope Janko doesn't read this forum!I would never sign with a team with a fan base that has treated him so bad.Not saying he earned to be treated as a superstar, but he was labeled a project from day one and people bashed him so hard. Now he looks good really good.Honestly I think he will be a bust. Yet I am not so sure we will ever get a chance to see him in Calgary. Unsigned!He is a late bloomer, and when he was drafted that is exactly what was expected. Those skills in a big package has to turn out. Today he is playing that way, don't get me wrong, I am impressed but he has done nothing in the nhl. That's another level.I see him as a more skilled Colborne. He will struggle in the NHL at first for a few years then start using his size. Honestly this year Colborne has been amazing. He has no vision, or lacks hockey IQ, but so far this year he has learned he is a big player and hard to take off the puck. He tires out a defense. Do I love him? No, but he is effective, and that word effective has never been associated with him in the nhl.If Janko can learn to use his body, and add some skill above Joe he could be a really effective player for us. If he can win faceoffs, he could be a force for us!
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:21 AM   #2296
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubeyr1 View Post
I hope Janko doesn't read this forum!I would never sign with a team with a fan base that has treated him so bad.Not saying he earned to be treated as a superstar, but he was labeled a project from day one and people bashed him so hard. Now he looks good really good.Honestly I think he will be a bust. Yet I am not so sure we will ever get a chance to see him in Calgary. Unsigned!He is a late bloomer, and when he was drafted that is exactly what was expected. Those skills in a big package has to turn out. Today he is playing that way, don't get me wrong, I am impressed but he has done nothing in the nhl. That's another level.I see him as a more skilled Colborne. He will struggle in the NHL at first for a few years then start using his size. Honestly this year Colborne has been amazing. He has no vision, or lacks hockey IQ, but so far this year he has learned he is a big player and hard to take off the puck. He tires out a defense. Do I love him? No, but he is effective, and that word effective has never been associated with him in the nhl.If Janko can learn to use his body, and add some skill above Joe he could be a really effective player for us. If he can win faceoffs, he could be a force for us!

As for people bashing him, they're talking about him in a hockey-related way, it's not like we're getting personal about it.

Personally, I like him and think he will be a player. Glad to see him off to a great start.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #2297
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pretty weak draft overall, but the D is decent. To be fair, Feaster/Weisbrod said as much at the draft, hence the trade down. If Sieloff doesn't get hurt/infected, it would have been a decent draft for the flames, relatively speaking.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:13 AM   #2298
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Thank goodness they didn't draft Matt Finn. That guy is in bust territory. He isn't going to get a shot with Islanders before his contract is up.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:00 PM   #2299
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Pretty weak draft overall, but the D is decent. To be fair, Feaster/Weisbrod said as much at the draft, hence the trade down. If Sieloff doesn't get hurt/infected, it would have been a decent draft for the flames, relatively speaking.
Sieloff outside a few defensive lapses looks much better this season. He's playing physical and standing up for his teammates. He is also showing alot more confidence offensively.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2015, 08:35 PM   #2300
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Sieloff outside a few defensive lapses looks much better this season. He's playing physical and standing up for his teammates. He is also showing alot more confidence offensively.
He looked really good in preseason.

Tags
have some patience people