Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #1
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Rare Music Recordings

Just wondering, but does it really exist any more?

I remember how it used to be a big deal for music lovers to go into a record store or even a second hand shop and find rare b-sides or bootlegs. People would proudly display their collections with rare trophies. I recall going to friend's houses and seeing that they had something rare that I hadn't heard and wanting to listen to it. Nowadays, things like that just get uploaded to Youtube or somewhere. I am sure finding an original print is still fun, but not the same as when something was only released in small numbers and never re-released (or not for a long time).

What are the rare items in your collection?
Old 04-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I used to love going to the Attic on Stephen Ave back in the day, sadly most of the "rare" items I bought were horribly bootlegged live NIN shows, paying $50ish a CD.
I did get a sweet demo for what ended up being Pretty Hate Machine, and had a buddy get a great demo of Achtung Baby. I would imagine they're all easily attainable on the net now.
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Just wondering, but does it really exist any more?

I remember how it used to be a big deal for music lovers to go into a record store or even a second hand shop and find rare b-sides or bootlegs. People would proudly display their collections with rare trophies. I recall going to friend's houses and seeing that they had something rare that I hadn't heard and wanting to listen to it. Nowadays, things like that just get uploaded to Youtube or somewhere. I am sure finding an original print is still fun, but not the same as when something was only released in small numbers and never re-released (or not for a long time).

What are the rare items in your collection?
There's tons of rare bootlegs, rare vinyl etc. that hasn't been digitized or uploaded to Youtube. I was at Sloth the other day picking through when I picked up $2 record from a Calgary band that pressed only 50 copies of their album in the early 2000s.

There's tons of music I would never be able to find online in Mp3 or streaming format. Youtube usually only has CD versions of songs. Vinyl 12" singles the the B-sides are often not there. There's a lot of rare concert bootlegs that are almost impossible to find.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-22-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #4
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
There's a lot of rare concert bootlegs that are almost impossible to find.
There are online communities dedicated to sharing bootlegs. I'm sure they don't have everything, but it's amazing what you can find.

You're right that the rarest recordings are the small pressings by independent bands. If you're looking for Calgary stuff check out http://www.calgarycassettes.org/.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post: