Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #2041
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't think they've fixed the logic problems of the game that made it terrible
argh.. i was so excited about this game, but did't take the plunge due to the outcry of poo reviews, the big reason being the always online issues.

however, with the online issues out of the way, if simple things aren't fixed, like residents not taking alternate traffic routes should they be provided, then this game remains an epic fail, and should become the case study of how to not release a game.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #2042
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everytime I read or hear or think about simcity 5 I almost start to cry. One of my fav games (SC4) and so much could have been done with SC5. Why not have made it an MMO, it would have been less of a clusterfata than what has been released.

My biggest complaint is they turned a game with endless possibilities into one that only had a few possibilities. No longer did they game did what you wanted but it pushed you into a direction that it wanted.

Sad, so very very very sad.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #2043
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any word if this will be the end of the series, or if they will eventually fix this massacre with a new installment?
Old 03-25-2014, 02:50 AM   #2044
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Would you honestly buy another Simcity game? They've completely ruined the franchise reputation
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:03 AM   #2045
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Would you honestly buy another Simcity game? They've completely ruined the franchise reputation
If they release a good game then it doesn't matter what they did with V.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2014, 06:34 AM   #2046
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
If they release a good game then it doesn't matter what they did with V.
Shhh, there's no need to reply to him with reasonable statements.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #2047
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm playing offline in sandbox mode...it's actually pretty fun.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #2048
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think I'm going to re-install Origin and see if I still have access to the game. I asked for and got a full refund but I had access to the game for weeks after. Might as well see if it's still there and try out offline mode.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #2049
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

By the time I redownloaded Origin and the game, installed it, I had already played out a couple ideas in my head about how I wanted to go about my city. NO matter what, the idea of a short game with a terrible end game which the offline does nothing to change just turned me off from even trying to build anything.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #2050
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Simcity ship has sailed for me. Last game I have and will preorder from EA, lol...
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CubicleGeek For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #2051
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Payed for it downloaded it couldn't play it on my computer or my laptop.This was almost a month ago.I am gonna wait for the modders to get a hold of it and make it good.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #2052
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It would appear I still have access to it. I'm away for a bit starting this weekend but will give it a shot when I get back.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #2053
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleGeek View Post
The Simcity ship has sailed for me. Last game I have and will preorder from EA, lol...
I'm not pre-ordering anything anymore. Why bother? I can just buy it as a digital download there are no more physical assets to deal with, and running out of digital licenses to sell (though it can happen) isn't typically an issue.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #2054
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I'm not pre-ordering anything anymore. Why bother? I can just buy it as a digital download there are no more physical assets to deal with, and running out of digital licenses to sell (though it can happen) isn't typically an issue.
I'm a sucker for the pre-order exclusive stuff like the angel wings in Reaper of Souls. Unfortunately, EA can't even seem to demonstrate the ability to give me something that resembles a video game. All they had to do was take Simcity 4, update the graphics and tweak a few things and they would have had a hit. Makes me sad.

I've pre-ordered every Mass Effect and Dragon Age both before and post EA and I will not be pre-ordering Inquisition.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #2055
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleGeek View Post
I'm a sucker for the pre-order exclusive stuff like the angel wings in Reaper of Souls. Unfortunately, EA can't even seem to demonstrate the ability to give me something that resembles a video game. All they had to do was take Simcity 4, update the graphics and tweak a few things and they would have had a hit. Makes me sad.

I've pre-ordered every Mass Effect and Dragon Age both before and post EA and I will not be pre-ordering Inquisition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
Nehkara:

That's a great point and I'm hoping the gameplay will reward us with complex city management. But bare in mind maxis also has removed some pretty essential stuff. Mixed zones, 1 way streets, highways, I think subways? They've dumbed down things a lot which is strange when you consider how complex the sim engine seems to be.

I think where the fork in the road appears to be is maxis from simming entire buildings to simming the residents within them. Fundamentally as players will we be able to recognize this difference? And if so will the return be enough to give up actual city building and settle instead on town building and region growing?

I think the answer will be no and no.
Ill just leave this here. Called it pretty much in the upcoming weeks and months. Not only did no one notice the difference, it lead to huge game breaking glitches. So in summation EA/Maxis made the game tiny in comparison in exchange for a glitchy and stupid AI that couldn't even properly simulate traffic
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brannigans Law For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #2056
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

I played a 4 hour trial last night and am debating buying it. I found it to be pretty fun and didn;t have any of the crashing issues.

I have been playing the iPhone game SimCity build-it and have a hankering to play more. I have not played SimCity in a long time, like 1st or second version.

Do I buy V for $30.00 or I am better off getting Sim City 4?
Old 01-07-2015, 10:39 AM   #2057
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
I played a 4 hour trial last night and am debating buying it. I found it to be pretty fun and didn;t have any of the crashing issues.

I have been playing the iPhone game SimCity build-it and have a hankering to play more. I have not played SimCity in a long time, like 1st or second version.

Do I buy V for $30.00 or I am better off getting Sim City 4?
I haven't played Sim City V, or even tried it out. But if what Brannigans Law says is true, I would be inclined to just play SC4.

That being said, Sim City 4 is on Steam for $20...which is high considering I bought it on sale for $10 once, and the day after I bought it, they put it on a flash sale for $5.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:20 AM   #2058
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

I picked up SimCity 4 for Mac on the App Store for $9.99 over Xmas. I've probably wasted a good 20 hours on it so far.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:46 PM   #2059
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sim City 4, especially if you get the Deluxe version (includes the rush hour pack) and install the Network Addon Mod (refers to transportation networks) is a pretty astonishing game.

With today's technology (advances in AI, absurd amounts of compute power available on demand, machine learning back-ends), there is very little reason why a game of SC4's caliber or far beyond could not be produced.

Except for the fact that it costs time, money, and resources... and EA has sullied the brand now that it would be a crapshoot that it sells very well until word finally gets out that it's any good... if it indeed is because you know EA will mess it up somehow.

I can't even get excited about my own hypothetical "next version" of Sim City because even hypothetical EA would screw it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2015, 05:05 PM   #2060
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Speaking of Sim City 4, I saw it on steam today 75% off. Think that would be $4.99

Edit: Yep, Sims 4 Deluxe Edition is $4.99 right now on steam

Last edited by Wood; 01-07-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote