Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #181
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love the show, but I can't stand the way he calls it warter. You're an astrophysicist man! It's only a 5 letter word!
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #182
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Memories of Bio 20 and Chem 20/30 rushing back to me!
Old 04-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #183
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I enjoyed the episode, it seemed to jump around quite a bit more than other episodes. From photosynthesis to carbon atoms to neutrinos to supernovas to the early Greeks.

I know there was a theme here, but it didn't seem like it segued between the individual topics very smoothly.

I had never really thought about how the different chemicals are formed by fusion in stars. Somehow I always thought it was just hydrogen fusion in all stars. Cool to think that there is some star out there fusing together gold and platinum that will eventually spit that all into space when it explodes.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #184
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I feel like last night was the weakest episode so far. It just felt rushed and Neil was a little more dry than usual.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #185
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gold is just star poop...

I appreciate the information they are conveying every week. However, I picked tonight to get my room-mate excited about it and she started watching then switched to her facebook games about 10 mins in... She asked, "It's probably not as important with this show, as it is with others, to watch in sequence." I think I was wrong. There is a progression, but each episode is theme based. It wasn't as entertaining as the last 3.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:24 PM   #186
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was my favourite episode so far. I loved the go small though I would have rearranged the content a bit and put the electron jumps into this one and put the biology somewhere else.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:12 PM   #187
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow that was a really neat episode. I vaguely remember gas going unleaded when I was a little kid. Didn't really understand the impact lead gas had on the environment before. Clearly Patterson is a hero, and I'm glad they spent time talking about him this episode.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #188
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

For people who missed it, I noticed that Shaw is keeping the last 3 episodes on Global's video-on-demand section.

Unfortunately I missed tonight's episode. I hope he has stopped giving the corresponding imperial units everytime he would mention something in metric. He seemed to do that a lot on some previous episodes.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #189
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The neutrino segment along with the last show on Clair Patterson reminded me of one of Bill Bryson's books, "A Short History of Nearly Everything". He covers both subjects within a few chapters.

I first got into Bryson from his travel writing but this is my absolute favorite, think I have read it 3 times since picking it up years ago. Easy to read and Bryson keeps it interesting. Well worth checking out if you have not read it already.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Short...rly_Everything

Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #190
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The focus on lead contamination in the environment was a not so subtle shot at global warming denialists. I wonder if Cosmos will take that subject head on.

Cosmos: 'The Clean Room,' featuring the voice of Richard Gere.

Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement, 1995, Goldschmidt Medal of the Geochemical Society in 1980, and the J. Lawrence Smith Medal of the National Academy of Sciences in 1973

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clair_Cameron_Patterson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_Earth

Last edited by troutman; 04-22-2014 at 09:17 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #191
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
Wow that was a really neat episode. I vaguely remember gas going unleaded when I was a little kid. Didn't really understand the impact lead gas had on the environment before. Clearly Patterson is a hero, and I'm glad they spent time talking about him this episode.
Lead in the environment is one of the leading theories behind the reduction in crime across the board we have seen since the early 90's. Essentially lead was damaging brains across all groups of people pushing otherwise stable people into crime.

I loved this episode but thought they didn't discuss one assumption in dating the earth and why it is valid. Using meteorites to date the earch assumes that the meteorite is the same age as the earth. Other than covering that a little more the episode was perfect.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #192
Boo Radley
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The focus on lead contamination in the environment was a not so subtle shot at global warming denialists. I wonder if Cosmos will take that subject head on.
I wondered the same.

This is off-topic because it has not been touched on in COSMOS (yet) but another good example of how human industry has affected the environment is the use of chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).

American chemist Sherwood Rowland shared the 1995 Nobel prize in Chemistry for his discovery that CFCs were contributing to Ozone depletion.

Max Ehrmann
Boo Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #193
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else have trouble viewing this one on Globals site? Ive tried yesterday and today and no luck. No problems running any other videos.

Last edited by Coach; 04-22-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:17 AM   #194
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Old 06-01-2014, 10:40 PM   #195
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excellent episode tonight.

I can see the reason now for having this aired on Fox. Any other station would probably be preaching to the choir, but on Fox this has impact, one hopes.

Last edited by Wormius; 06-01-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:51 PM   #196
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

OT, but watching the stuff on Venus reminded me of a good documentary I saw a couple weeks ago on Youtube regarding manned exploration of Mars. Talked about the potential to pump greenhouse gases into Mars' atmosphere to terraform it.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #197
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Excellent episode tonight.

I can see the reason now for having this aired on Fox. Any other station would probably be preaching to the choir, but on Fox this has impact, one hopes.
Remember that the main Fox network is not the same as Fox News. This is, after all, the same network that brought us shows like Married with Children, The Simpsons, and (of particular relevance to this discussion) Family Guy. I don't know how much of an overlap there is between the people who watch Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity and those who watch American Dad, a show that routinely lampoons stereotypical Republicans.

AFAIK, the reason this is airing on Fox is as simple as Seth MacFarlane having a previous working relationship with the execs there thanks to his various animated comedies.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #198
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Odd that Cosmos focused mainly on solar power. Nuclear was not mentioned at all IIRC.

“it all depends on what we truly value”

Twitter ‘Scientists’ Double Down on Stupid After Devastating ‘Cosmos’ Climate Change Episode

http://aattp.org/twitter-scientists-...hange-episode/

Watch Neil deGrasse Tyson Debunk Climate Change Denier Claims in Two Minutes

http://www.takepart.com/video/2014/0...ms-two-minutes

Last edited by troutman; 06-02-2014 at 09:18 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #199
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Odd that Cosmos focused mainly on solar power. Nuclear was not mentioned at all IIRC.

“it all depends on what we truly value”

Twitter ‘Scientists’ Double Down on Stupid After Devastating ‘Cosmos’ Climate Change Episode

http://aattp.org/twitter-scientists-...hange-episode/

Watch Neil deGrasse Tyson Debunk Climate Change Denier Claims in Two Minutes

http://www.takepart.com/video/2014/0...ms-two-minutes
The interesting thing is some of those arguments are trying to argue that NDT isn't a climatologist, so he shouldn't be listened to, despite the fact that most wouldn't even care if that same information had been relayed to to them by a climatologist. It's really like talking to a brick wall. They'll do anything to bury their heads in the sand. "That guy is a journalist, what does he know about the stuff he's reporting" is pretty much the attitude I see here.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #200
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The interesting thing is some of those arguments are trying to argue that NDT isn't a climatologist, so he shouldn't be listened to, despite the fact that most wouldn't even care if that same information had been relayed to to them by a climatologist. It's really like talking to a brick wall. They'll do anything to bury their heads in the sand. "That guy is a journalist, what does he know about the stuff he's reporting" is pretty much the attitude I see here.
For some reason, I take comfort in the fact that severe climate change would likely kill us off long before the Earth has a change to fully destabilize.