Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default System fan Has Failed - Boot Error

A few months ago, I replaced the case that came with my HP computer because the airflow was horrible. Everything went fine, except whenever I boot, I get an error 'System Fan has failed, Press F2 to continue.' The fans are all spinning properly and there are no issues with heat at all from any components.

My motherboard is an ASUS IPIBL-LA. This appears to be a common problem with HP computers build around the time and the suggested fix is to turn off the setting in the BIOS for the monitoring which causes the error to be displayed. Of course, there isn't such a setting in the BIOS, which is an experience shared by many people online.

I assume there is something in the old fan that was plugged into the motherboard that satisfied the monitoring system, that my new fan doesn't have. I considered switching the old fan back in, but it is only 80mm and would require some jury rigging to be able to fix properly in the new case.

So my question is this: Can I purchase a different type of fan that the motherboard will be happy with? I just grabbed a regular 120mm fan from Memex. Are there any other options ?

I realize, of course, that I could just upgrade to a new mobo/cpu/ram and be done with it, but I would rather push that off until after Christmas if I can.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

It likely has a slot for a PWM (pulse-width modulation) fan, which has an extra pin connector (4 vs 3) that monitors fan speeds and the PWM output/input.

They are usually an extra 2-3 bucks over a 3 pin fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post: