Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Dual monitors over HDMI/DVI - Have I thought this through correctly?

I'm in the planning stages of rewiring my house, and before I place an order on MonoPrice for the various wires and switches, I want to make sure I've thought this part through correctly and would appreciate any wisdom from the CP braintrust.

Below is a sketch of how I *think* everything should be hooked up, but I've never attempted a purely digital multi-monitor set up like this before.

Below the sketch I've listed the 3 scenarios in which I would use the dual monitor setup.

Is this the best way to go about setting this up? Or is there a better way to do this without involving a powered HDMI splitter?

Any pitfalls to be aware of when it comes to digital multi-monitor setups?

The hardware involved would be:

Video cards: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHZ 1 GB DDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11201-17-20G (1 HDMI output, 1 DVI output, 1 DisplayPort output)

HDMI switch: 4x2 True Matrix HDMI® Switch w/ Remote (Rev. 3.0)
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=5312

Monitors: Asus VS247H-P 23.6-Inch Full-HD LED-Lit LCD Monitor (standard LCD monitors each with 1 VGA input, 1 DVI input, and 1 HDMI input)

Thanks for any advice or guidance, definitely appreciated.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would give http://www.primecables.com/ - I found shipping to be so huge at monoprice lately that its no longer worth it. Most of the cables I've gotten from Prime are monoprice cables - name was still on bags, but shipping was free.
The Following User Says Thank You to MaDMaN_26 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should work. Another alternative is to maybe use DPort adapters so you don't need to use the splitter. I haven't tried those myself so I can't vouch for them. You'd still feed the AV receiver with the HDMI cables for audio.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDMaN_26 View Post
I would give http://www.primecables.com/ - I found shipping to be so huge at monoprice lately that its no longer worth it. Most of the cables I've gotten from Prime are monoprice cables - name was still on bags, but shipping was free.
I ran into the same problem but the last time I ordered they sent via Canada Post and shipping was reasonable.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

also most computers have a digital audio out such as a toslink or coaxial connection for audio, so you could use that and send the two HDMI connections straight to the monitors.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
also most computers have a digital audio out such as a toslink or coaxial connection for audio, so you could use that and send the two HDMI connections straight to the monitors.
Thanks Vulcan! The wiring diagram above is a bit of a simplified version just for this particular question regarding dual monitors using all digital connections. In the actual wiring diagram, I have all HDMI connections routed through the receiver so I can mix and match different sources of audio & video in multiple rooms. But I might end up having to use toslink or coaxial for one of the audio sources, depending on the receiver I go with.

I like your idea of a DisplayPort -> HDMI adapter to avoid the HDMI splitter. I think I'll try this first, it's cheaper and simpler, thanks for the suggestion!

In theory, this should work...

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

It's a passive adapter, and the MonoPrice notes say:

Quote:
Note: This is a passive adapter. While DisplayPort connectors are capable of passing an HDMI® signal, DisplayPort and HDMI® signals are basically different and not compatible with each other. This adapter does not actively convert a DisplayPort signal into an HDMI® signal. In order for this adapter to function properly, you must have a DisplayPort source device capable of producing and passing out an HDMI® signal through the DisplayPort jack.
I'm assuming most video cards are capable of outputting an HDMI signal through the DisplayPort jack?

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax

Last edited by cmyden; 10-19-2013 at 10:03 AM.
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm assuming most video cards are capable of outputting an HDMI signal through the DisplayPort jack?
Not sure but for this adapter it says.

Quote:
DP2HDMI2 is a passive adapter cable that requires a DP++ port (DisplayPort++), meaning that DVI and HDMI signals can also be passed through the port.
so you'd have to check your video card otherwise you may need an active adapter.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=59888&...StarTech%2Ecom