Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
droopydrew19
Safari Stan

Exp:
Question How to find a job?

I'm sick of my mindless crappy job and have scoured the websites looking for a better one for the past 3 or 4 months.

I am sure there are other CP'ers out there in the same boat. I am also sure that we collectively have a lot of experience in pursuing a new job.

So with that in mind, anyone care to share any tips?

1) Placement agencies / headhunters? Which ones are good?

2) Job search websites? Where should I go?

3) The resume... whats more effective, skill based or outlining your experience.

4) Networking - is the Facebook help me post a no no? Is Linked in good for this?
droopydrew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

When I got sick of what I was doing, and decided on a new career path, I googled the category of companies that do what I wanted to do, and I went to each of their sites, and looked for postings in the career section (or sometimes 'about us') and applied.

I checked my resume for spelling mistakes, brevity, and coherence. I also wrote a short cover letter, and updated the date and the HR person's name each time I sent it out. Eventually, I got interviews and job offers.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

In terms of placement agencies we'd need to know more about you and what you want as there are a lot of specialized agencies

Calgaryjobshop.com is ok for entry level
Workopolis.com is good to find almost everything, but they're good in terms of technical sales and management.
Any of the federal job search sites are good too.

Just remember that your probably competing against hundreds of people that scope these ads as well so you'd better stand out.

I believe firmly in using a skill based resume that sells accomplishments. I've helped a bunch of people on this site (Help might be too strong of a word) in terms of resume development. But a basic point based skill resume gets you no where without highlighting your accomplishments and the fact that your a change agent.

In terms of networking there are tons of networking groups in this city. You can also used Linkedin to job search as well. Facebook, no if you have personal stuff in there.

Just my two cents.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

I used to work retail jobs for 6 years of my life and I managed to move into banking with no education behind me. I was partly lucky being outside of the city and sold myself on having some management experience. I've been in banking for 6 years now and even though I am not making large amounts of money, I do make between 70-90K a year (plus some really good perks for me) which I feel is not bad for someone with no degree. I've been with the same company my entire time and did manage to have another company pursuing my services, too, simply by stopping into another Credit Union's Branch and speaking with their manager to find out about their company.

How I switched my career was by researching the company a bit and then phoning them and speaking with their HR department. In both cases I targeted companies that were small enough where I could talk to someone in charge without being blown off.

Now maybe you're making incredible income like most of CP, but for me I was miserable in retail and gas station work, and my life is so much better and complete after making the big change years ago and I'm finally very happy with my life and what I do for a living.

Last edited by Deegee; 09-17-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
droopydrew19
Safari Stan

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
In terms of placement agencies we'd need to know more about you and what you want as there are a lot of specialized agencies
I have a Communications / Customer service / Office Manager / Supervisory background

( Currently doing none of that though )
droopydrew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wanna swap jobs? We're in identical boats...
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
JobHopper
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You should have a good resume and be job specific. There are different disciplines in different fields. I'm not sure if you have an already established career or are still looking for what you want to do. Myself, I have a career.

I look for positions on my own but I go through agencies as well. Some of the bigger companies here in Calgary will refer you to various agencies even though they hire you.

Also, you have to establish and put some effort into networking and building a network of colleagues and associates. That's important and should be part of your career growth. Linked In is a good site for doing that.
JobHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JobHopper For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

lol
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
Fusebox
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Have you considered a career in the trades? The city is very busy these days, you could do very well for yourself but just phoning up larger companies in the phone book and asking them to give you a try. Look into plumbing and electrical first - both are well paying jobs that require more brain power than muscles, and you won't be going home dirty every day. If you want to give the electrical route a try, pm me and I'll give you some contacts to start out with.
Fusebox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fusebox For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2013, 11:48 PM   #10
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Start your own business.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
job search